Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

lift in progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift in progress

Yeh spent the better part of today about 5 hours installing my lift, to many troubling ends we were only able to get the rear shocks and springs installed. (And we are a bunch of High School kids who have only worked on imports so our experience in trucks and such wasnt as great.) So yeh at the end of the day the rear suspension was installed and everything seems fine, wont know until something happens, if anything happens.

What I want to know is are there any tips on the front setup? I did some researching and searched the forums and found tips on the installing the rears, but I want to know are there any tips for fronts? Our initial plan is to jack the rig up, remove the tires, then remove the bottom shock bolt, and then the top strut bolts and take the spring assembly out. Then we will either try to use the spring compressor to install the new OME spring into a Tokico Trekmaster or bring it to a shop for them to assemble it.

So it would be appreciated if you fellow YT members can give us some tips on like what to do to help us get the job done. Thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 07:28 PM

what OME springs did you get?

i just installed the tundra/LC lift from Sonoran steel and the tundra coils were going to be so tough to compress i just took it to a shop.

it took 10 minutes to compress and assemble the new ones. and only $30
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by btruong1
Yeh spent the better part of today about 5 hours installing my lift, to many troubling ends we were only able to get the rear shocks and springs installed. (And we are a bunch of High School kids who have only worked on imports so our experience in trucks and such wasnt as great.) So yeh at the end of the day the rear suspension was installed and everything seems fine, wont know until something happens, if anything happens.

What I want to know is are there any tips on the front setup? I did some researching and searched the forums and found tips on the installing the rears, but I want to know are there any tips for fronts? Our initial plan is to jack the rig up, remove the tires, then remove the bottom shock bolt, and then the top strut bolts and take the spring assembly out. Then we will either try to use the spring compressor to install the new OME spring into a Tokico Trekmaster or bring it to a shop for them to assemble it.

So it would be appreciated if you fellow YT members can give us some tips on like what to do to help us get the job done. Thanks
Sounds like you've got it figured out with your research...I don't like paying money for things i can do myself. 3rd gen, eh just like mine. Take the the front tires off, safety first, and use jack stands, etc. Take the strut out and if you are using an outside coil compressor yourself take your time and be carefull. I used a bench vice to hold it in place and compress. take the top plate off install new hardware and replace in reverse. make note of what side the strut came from. An impact wrench aids in install, i used a ratchet for my LC coils and it was a PITA. Install and enjoy! good luck.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When shoving in your new longer struts, you'll have a lot of help by using your bottle jack (under your rear seats).

Turning it upsidedown, and wedging it inbetween your inner fender and the top ball joint, you can push down your entire spindle assembly, and making the area where you install the strut longer. You then can tighten the top three nuts, then either elongate or shorten the jack to align the bottom shock mount bolt.

Thats about it.

As for getting the shocks assembled, after doing it so many times, Its not that hard, but, I get lazy these days. Take it to a shop and get it done correctly the first time so you dont get weird squeeks later on donw the road.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:26 PM

If it took you 5 hours to do the rear i would say take the front towers to a shop to do. When i did my OME lift it took about 30 mins to do the back and 6 hours for the fronts. Its very very hard to compress them. If you do assembly the front make sure the bolt of the struts line up with the installation points.