Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Leveling my front end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leveling my front end?

So, after putting my TC skids on and driving 400 miles in the past couple days, my front end is sagging down a bit compared to where it was pre TC skids.

What kind of sag would the stock coils take after 70k? Would you think replacing them with new ones help? Would it be only only temporarily until I drive a bit and they sag?

I'm new to working on my own truck as you all know so I'm clueless as to how much coils sag over time.

I ordered taller cornfed spacers to go with my "frankenstein front end" due to the weight of my engine compared to Steve's 4 cyl so that will obviously help a but any words of wisdom from some brighter mechanics than myself would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking Ill probably get new coils and pair them with the new spacers, and if that doesn't get me what I need, I'll throw some trim packers in there.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

I would wait until after you got the new Cornfed's put on before you make a decision. Those should raise it back to where you want it, and if not at least you can go from there.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan
I would wait until after you got the new Cornfed's put on before you make a decision. Those should raise it back to where you want it, and if not at least you can go from there.
Well, I pretty much just bought the taller cornfeds on a whim because he was running a special on 2" spacers for $100 shipped, and I have 1.5" now, so I think that might fix the sag from the skids, but I was still wanting to level my front end out a bit more anyway.

Any ideas on where the best place to buy coils online is? I want to say I saw someone say they bought a pair for $100 which is a pretty damn good deal.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

What kind of coils are you looking for?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan
What kind of coils are you looking for?
I'm going with stock coils do to my installing Steve's set up. I used the coils I already had though when I installed the suspension, rather than buying new ones.

I'm wondering what kind of difference I'd see between a brand new one and a 75k sagged one in part.

If after a couple thousand miles I'm just gonna see the same sag I certainly don't want to replace them, but if it's going to make a difference where the rear and front could then all sag together, I'd like to do it.

Like I said I really don't know what the heck I'm talking about as I've just started to get familiar with these parts and get comfortable working on them/replacing them.

Bill
Old 03-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Well from what I understand you are using the ones that came on your truck for Steve's "frankenstein front end." You will probably notice an increase in height if you go with new coils, but that means that over time they are just gonna sag back down again. Usually coils take about 2 months to settle, but with stock coils with that much weight on the front they will probably settle quicker. I say you ask Steve himself and see what he thinks, but I honestly think once you get the Cornfeds you will be suprised how much height you'll gain. The reason why Steve's setup works so well is because of the softer stock coils (softer coils= more articulation) so you probably won't want to get a stiffer spring.

Last edited by Jonathan; 03-01-2004 at 09:27 AM.