95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

LC COil spring install and shock tips/info

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LC COil spring install and shock tips/info

PICS UP. TWO POSTS BELOW. Just for reference the tire size is 265/70/r16

Hey all,
I just put in some 1994 Lancruiser coil springs that I got for 50 dollars for a full set of fronts and backs off the cruiser. I installed this lift myself and i don't take credit for having alot of mechanical skills, but honestly they're not really needed for the rear lift. I got a little caught up on the fact that i couldn't get the rear shock top mount bolt off.....but then realized you don't even have to take it off. Just take the bottom shock mount offf and pry it out with a crow/pry bar. From here i never had to disconnect the trac bar or panhard barand i have way too much slack in my brake line honestly. The stock coil springs slipped right out but honestly i wouldn't bother trying to get the landcruiser coils (at least i couldn't with these) in without a coil compressor, it makes things so much easier and if you have a friend to help is incredibly safe and easy. all in all when i was done with the rear lift the gap between the wheels and wheel-well is 5.25 inches higher and from the ground to the wheel-well is about 5.15 inches higher (keep in mind there are also 120,000 miles on these springs) so i don't think they'll brake in more than about an inch. So anyways this rear lift was great, i am also running stock shocks in the rear for now and i don't see why there would ever be a problem doing this. I couldn't even imagine extending the bump stops although it would be incredibly easy, i don't think there is any way i will ever be close to getting anywhere near compression for my shocks. The ride for now is much stiffer but i am a big fan of a stiff truck.
Let me know if anyone needs any simple questions answered.
-Connor

Last edited by cmac27; 03-03-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Lets see some pics!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 AM

i will take pics tonight. just for the info i forgot to add. the front is stock which is currently at normal height so it looks like a dragster lol.....but dont worry im getting an OME front set up in a week or so to get kinda close to the rear lift height

Last edited by cmac27; 03-03-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM

PICS!!!!! I just took them and its night time and raining so i will take more tomorrow. but here's for now

Just for reference the tires are 265/70/r16

Last edited by rocket; 03-05-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: fixed pics
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM

looking good man! Cant wait to see some day pics!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
OK so let me understand this, all you did was swap out your 4runner coils for a set of coils from a 94 Land cruiser and you got the increase clearance? Seems like a pretty easy way to get a nice bit of lift.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 AM

Indeed, but remember that they are the FRONT coils off the Land Cruiser for the BACK of your runner.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 AM

For a lift that high, you will probably need extended shocks, brake line, sway bar links & adjustable panhard rod.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
For a lift that high, you will probably need extended shocks, brake line, sway bar links & adjustable panhard rod.

Good luck,
Paul
I second that...
Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM

I've heard different things... Although when i put my springs in im going to extend the brake lines for sure. I've heard some people havent messed with any of that and others that have done all of that.

Can someone give an exact list of what needs to be done?

I've heard some people just run with out the sway bar.

I'm just trying to figure out what i need to get exactly. I already have the LC springs and longer shocks with the lift i have now. what else do i need?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM

bump...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I know I've talked to you a bunch about this through PM, but... might as well repeat for the original poster.

If you don't plan on going offroad, you probably can get away without doing any of this... if you do, then you should do all of it:

1) Extended brake line
2) Longer Panhard bar (Adjustable)
3) Take off swaybar or make some drop brackets for them
4) Extended bumpstops
5) Longer shocks

Bamachem (old member here) about 3 years ago figured out to put the LC coils on the 4runner would add lift. He ended up selling me his, and basically I was one of the first people to do this on Yotatech at least. I've had the 9-wrap coils on for about 3 years now I think, and through trial and error I found that all above modifications should be done if you are planning on doing any offroading.

With 4-5" of lift, you've basically just pushed your axle down that far, and your bumpstops become almost useless. Not to mention, your shocks/brakeline will be the limiting factor in travel.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Just to let everyone know the lift is for pretty much cosmetics only. i don't rock crawl. the most offroading i do is driving down a dirt road or up to the snow a few times a year. My brake lines honestly have plenty of slack, the panhard drop only moved my axle about 1/4 inch to the right (which doesn't affect me) and the shocks i had looked at and i was told as long as i don't fully flex/stuff too much or do any crazy offroading i don't plan on ever fully extending my shocks. thus i don't have to worry about destroying them. I just want everyone to know i put plenty of hours of reading and researching and asking local mechanics and buddies if they forsaw any problems. I have also had it looked at once the lift was installed and all anyone had problems with was "when are you lifting the front" (by the way the front is on the way) so yes thank you everyone for the input and yes i do completely agree if you are doing anything close to offroading i would totally recomend everything and anything SC4Runner^^^^ says especially the 5 things listed above (although i could never imagine every getting near the bumpstops because the suspension is very solid) But if you offroad again you would definetly want bumpstops. All in all i love this lift plus it was basically free because i bought a set of front and back coil springs off a landcruiser owner for 50 dollars and am selling the backs for pretty close to that as we speak.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks for clearing all that up SC4Runner! I just need to get the extended brake lines and longer panhard bar and i sould be good to go!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cmac27
Just to let everyone know the lift is for pretty much cosmetics only. i don't rock crawl. the most offroading i do is driving down a dirt road or up to the snow a few times a year. My brake lines honestly have plenty of slack, the panhard drop only moved my axle about 1/4 inch to the right (which doesn't affect me) and the shocks i had looked at and i was told as long as i don't fully flex/stuff too much or do any crazy offroading i don't plan on ever fully extending my shocks. thus i don't have to worry about destroying them. I just want everyone to know i put plenty of hours of reading and researching and asking local mechanics and buddies if they forsaw any problems. I have also had it looked at once the lift was installed and all anyone had problems with was "when are you lifting the front" (by the way the front is on the way) so yes thank you everyone for the input and yes i do completely agree if you are doing anything close to offroading i would totally recomend everything and anything SC4Runner^^^^ says especially the 5 things listed above (although i could never imagine every getting near the bumpstops because the suspension is very solid) But if you offroad again you would definetly want bumpstops. All in all i love this lift plus it was basically free because i bought a set of front and back coil springs off a landcruiser owner for 50 dollars and am selling the backs for pretty close to that as we speak.
Just because it sits nice and high and everything looks good when the truck is sitting level, that's not what happens when you're driving over obstacles. I know you mention that you don't offroad, so yes you'll probably be fine, but If you want to know how to get on the bumpstops, just drive one of your front wheels up on an obstacle about 18" high or so. The will cause all the weight of the rear of the truck to go on the opposite side rear tire, and should get you on the bumpstop on the rear.

Your rear swaybar endlink looks stressed already in your picture with the truck sitting level, so I would recommend making some relocator brackets for your swaybar.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 AM

My passenger side rear end link snapped like a twig the first time I went off road with a lift. Now I have no connection on the passenger side but will be making some drop brackets and I quick disco for that side this spring.

No problems not having the rear sway bar connected on the road so far. I want to make it functional on-road for safety at highway speeds though.

Last edited by DavidAlexander; 03-06-2009 at 05:51 AM.