Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Knock sensor effects on driveability

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock sensor effects on driveability

Hey guys, I just completed my repair of the 3.0 v-6 in a 94 4Runner with the help of your yota tech forum. My new concern is I checked my engine diagnostic code with the check wire and my FSM. I had 3 codes stored in memory: code 14, 52, and 71. I figured that the codes 14 and 71 had something to do with all the unplugged vacuum lines when I first test fired it. When I reset the check engine light to clear the codes only 52 is remaining.
The car is driving fine, but my question is what effect on perfromance will I notice. I plan to get a new wire but will save it for when I go down under the intake again. Not planning on until I log a few miles on the vehicle. It is a daily driver and needs to be in use doing it's thing. Runs great for a stocker V-6 3.0.I have put some 250 miles on it since the head gasket repair. No oil or water leaks are noticeable.
My only small problem is a little bit of hesitation at low rpm and that is only once in a while. Symptoms include a bucking or jerking effect, then I rev it and it runs fine again. I picked up some Techron and plan on trying it. I also want to know whether or not pulling the injectors out and mailing them in is necessary, the rig has 151,000 miles on it and should have 100,00 more in it , after all it's a Toyota. :xmas13:
Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 AM

The check engine light will come on and you'll get serious loos of power everytime the kncok sensor shorts out...it will be intermittent as the wire bounces up and down. Not good to be caught in a freeway situation when it happens so drive the slow lanes. How do I know? When I first got mine it has a new engine in it and the guy evidently didn't change it out. I drove it 400 miles from northern ca with a bad knock sensor. Get it changed out as soon as you can.

If you had the head gasket recall done at the dealer, he should have put in a new sensor like they did with mine. If not, call the dealer and give them your VIN to see if your rig has had it done...you may find you can get it changed out free on that Service Bulletin.

Last edited by ctcost; 11-30-2005 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:55 AM

recall service bulletin

Hello ctcost:

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately I did the repair and am a newbie to this engine. I was hoping the insulation on the knock sensor wire was just worn out and repaired it with black tape. Toyota dealer around here said with my vin the recall had been done in 1998 so I believed him and did the work myself and learned a hell of a lot. I will try to clean the connector under the throttle body with sandpaper as another post says that the connectors can corrode or turn green. A new wire is $12. Currently driiving it down the road a t 65-70 pph with no loss of power as far as I can tell, check engine light comes on and stays on once it is on, I'll monitor it and see if it alternately goes off and what effect.

Sounds like you took your "replacement new" engine in under the recall. I was under the impression you could only get one free repair. Please advise. Also do you think they can look up my vin and see on the original work order whether or not a new knock sensor was installed in 1998?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:11 AM

ahhh yeah...Well you definitely need a new wire then as its a coaxial cable...what happens is the outer layer of the cable breaks causing the short.

Yeah had like $5k of work done on a brand new engine. As long as the recall hasn't been done you can take it in no matter what. Pretty sweet deal and they supply a rental car as well. You might be able to trace back the original paperwork if you know the original dealer that did the recall...As to the knock sensor, that is in the factory manual...anytime you go past the plenum at least the wire is suppopsed to be replaced but in checking dealers before these great guys here at yotatech informed me of the recall, I found you can only buy the whole thing...sensor, pigtail...all one kit. Where did you find just the wire?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 AM

The part number for just the wire is in the knock sensor threads. If I'm not mistaken it is listed as a Toyota Part #.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 AM

Hmmm wouldn't you know it. Bet my dealer was just trying to sell the whole thing. Well good luck with it Dave. These are great long lasting trucks. Oh and welcome to Yotatech too!