Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

K&n fipk

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&n fipk

.. just installed today. It was really easy, took about 2 hours.. I took my time and made sure everything was very clean etc. If there's interest, I can get pics of the "after" but I didn't take any photos during the install.

Just wanted to comment... I didn't realize how loud that thing is when you get on the throttle. over 3500 or 4000 rpm or so and it sounds like I have a free-flow exhaust or something. At low rpm though it's not loud at all. It does seem more responsive and will hopefully improve fuel economy once I stop flooring it to hear the growl.

...keeping stock intake if I ever build it up into an offroad rig I'll get some kind of snorkel going.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Glad you like it, might want to get your 300 bones back though, performance drops on our trucks despite what the seat of your pants tells you.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduction.htm
Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Cool addition but for the money you can't beat the deckplate mod on the stock airbox haha
Old 08-31-2009, 05:27 AM

The only thing that matters, is that you like it! Congrats!
I actually sold mine a week after installing it because it was to damn loud!

Last edited by bgmac; 08-31-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 AM

Anyone know if the K&N benefits other motors? 22re specifically.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
yeah, i'm curious about the 3vz-e as well. how does it benefit the 3vz-e?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Buhundred
What's cool about losing power?
nothing , the cool part is that he likes it (for now)
Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM

yeah it's been what... a day or two? The sound is kinda getting old already.

Nothing cool about loosing power... "guaranteed horsepower" I guess they are full of it.

very interesting info... thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM

When I i
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM

Sorry when I installed my fipk on my 88 it sounded great but I had to advance my timing just to get it to run right perfect case of newtons law I guess. Craigslisted that sob 2 days later.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:13 PM

ok so yeah stock you may lose power but with a supercharger it definately helped. but now i have a check engine light issue. it did turn off by itself once but is now back on. i can't just go back to the stock because i cut it up for another project. any help??? please
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Clean your MAF most likely
Old 07-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the K&N kit and yes for the money, I wouldn't buy another one. But I myself felt that the throttle response was a bit better with it. Was it really, I can't prove it, but I thought I felt it.

Now I've read articles and even knew about the Gadget Online article and numbers and dynos don't lie very often. So can anyone tell me WHY there's a loss of power? Is it because it's taking hotter air from inside the engine compartment? Now in a past life, I've build custom airboxes for my GT4 and my brothers MK-IV Supra and I've been thinking about doing the same with my 4Runner. That way I would get cooler air like a stock setup but still retain the filter and tube.

Again, I'm looking for info as WHY the K&N causes a loss of power. But if all you're going to say is "because it sucks" then please, don't bother.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 PM

I agree with buying the S&B over the K&N. much better quality with the S&B. I have a K&N on my 3.0 VZE...yea its loud at WOT. Please do yourself a favor and change out the filter with something other than that POS K&N. the oil in the K&N will kill your MAF. I have gone through two MAF's since installing it. I chose to go with a AEM filter and I like it better for now, but I have anally about 600 miles on the AEM. I'm thinking of integrating a hood scoop from a taco and building an airbox from the scoop. Yea I know theres not much room under the hood, but with a shorter distance the air will have to flow to the intake and the function of fresh air like a snorkel I find it appealing. If I go this route I will document well with pics and let you guys know what's up. Not to bash your purchase, but get a different filter! preferably an oiless one. and congrats as well.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by T.O'Brien
Please do yourself a favor and change out the filter with something other than that POS K&N. the oil in the K&N will kill your MAF.
I guess I have the Gods on my side... I've used K&N in every car\truck I've owned in the past 14 years with never any ill effects. Or when hanging with car clubs of turbo charged Toyotas and the majority of them all (no matter what country they were in) perfered to use K&N products.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
so this has no gains on the 3.4... but what about the 3.0?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by psraff
I guess I have the Gods on my side... I've used K&N in every car\truck I've owned in the past 14 years with never any ill effects. Or when hanging with car clubs of turbo charged Toyotas and the majority of them all (no matter what country they were in) perfered to use K&N products.
Awesome! Great luck for you my friend I have used K&N also in all my other vehicles with no issues, but I have found multiple sources stating that the oil used in their filter cloggs the temp sensor in the 3.0's MAF. It makes it give out wrong readings like code 24 or 25. It took about two years to kill my first MAF. As far as I know if the filters are used on anything with forced induction then there SHOULD be no issues.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
so this has no gains on the 3.4... but what about the 3.0?
The gains in the 3.0 are marginal. First drive with it installed I noticed a bit more torque down low and a bit more power mid range. So around the streets I can shift at a lower RPM and on the highway I don't have to downshift to pass anybody.

I suggest doing a bit of homework before you decide what to go with. Try looking past the hype of a Brand...like here!

K&N on my 2332cc turbo VW motor performed real...REAL...well. On my 3.0, not too bad either, although for the price of the K&N, I'd buy an S&B setup. The S&B even has a box surrounding their filter instead of leaving it out in the open under the hood. you might be able to mod the box to hold ice or something to lower your intake temp or something like that. I don't know what you're planning on using it for.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

I'm brainstorming the idea of keeping my K&N FIPK but changing out the filter to a different kind (Amsoil maybe) to see if there are any differences. I'm running into the issue of the two filters that could fit are too different from the K&N. I would like the Amsoil 3090 but it's 9" long with a top OD of 5". I think it's too long to fit in the space available. The next one smaller (that I can find) is the 3050, but it's only 5 inches long (my K&N is almost 7"). Yes the Amsoil's top OD is 5" and has an inverted cone where the K&N is only 4" and flat. Anyone know if Amsoil has a filter that's between their 5" and 9" ones?? I can't find any...

If the 3050 has enough surface area to match or out perform my K&N then it would be even easier to build an airbox around it to keep out heat from the engine....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 AM

You bring up a good question, I replaced my K&N filter with a AEM unit. I totally forgot about Amsoil lol even though I use their oil in the truck haha. I'll get back with you later tonight or Sunday afternoon if I find anything. I'll call my amsoil guy in a bit and see what he can find.

Quick Reply: K&n fipk