See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

JDM 99-02 Black headlights

Old 11-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM 99-02 Black headlights

I've never seen these before, and I lived in Japan for a while... how do you think they'd look? Or are they too ricer looking?

Last edited by HOJU; 11-06-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

ive seen them alot on line on ebay but the price deters me... i really like the look let us know if you get them and get some pics....
Old 11-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

I sent Jason Burtman a PM about them to see if he can get the real version and his price, but i'm waiting for a response

Last edited by HOJU; 11-06-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

let me know what he says
Old 11-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

i would be interested to see what the real difference is between these and the one j. burtman sells.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

I think the diff is that the inner chrome part around the headlight is actually black where Jason I think sells true OEM versions which are all chrome.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Can the outside glass be removed? or is it sealed?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

it's probably sealed .. but toss it in the oven and you can probably pull them apart.

these would look awesome on my truck. hhmmmm .....
Old 11-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

does anyone make projector style replacements for these? i coudlnt find any
Old 11-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Jason said that they never offered these in Japan, which would explain why i never say them. He doesn't sell anything like them because of their quality.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:40 PM

Can one of you guys tell me how much j.burtman usually sells a set OEM ones for? I'd really like a set for my 96'.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

These are one piece, right? If so, this is how the old integras had them as well. I remember back in the day when lights like these were $1k for a set for the integras.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xSLICKx
Can one of you guys tell me how much j.burtman usually sells a set OEM ones for? I'd really like a set for my 96'.
Burtman Industries
Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
These are one piece, right? If so, this is how the old integras had them as well. I remember back in the day when lights like these were $1k for a set for the integras.
oh man bro... I know exactly what you are talking about... The 1 piece JDM 2nd gen integra lights were a grip... iirc I paid like $800 for mine.. :X

These lights aren't one piece though... I would buy a set right now if they were though... There is nothing JDM about these... The ebay sellers found that putting JDM on everything they can would sell more... Plus most of the black housing headlight stuff is considered JDM now... go figure eh....

I have the smoked bumper lights and was thinking about getting these since they are plastic and would be alot easier to do a xenon projector retrofit on than the glass headlights but there is no way I am forking over $40+ for shipping... Some of these eBay sellers are down the street from me and refuse to let me pick up...

Last edited by grimpy; 11-07-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by grimpy
oh man bro... I know exactly what you are talking about... The 1 piece JDM 2nd gen integra lights were a grip... iirc I paid like $800 for mine.. :X

These lights aren't one piece though... I would buy a set right now if they were though... There is nothing JDM about these... The ebay sellers found that putting JDM on everything they can would sell more... Plus most of the black housing headlight stuff is considered JDM now... go figure eh....

I have the smoked bumper lights and was thinking about getting these since they are plastic and would be alot easier to do a xenon projector retrofit on than the glass headlights but there is no way I am forking over $40+ for shipping... Some of these eBay sellers are down the street from me and refuse to let me pick up...
Let me know if you ever mess with the lights for a HID retrofit. Interested but not willing to be the first...

I had an integra and had these and my buddy had a civic with the one-piece. I just can't believe I use to pay that kind of money just to be O.G.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:23 PM

hehe i made a post today about this...i didn't know there was already one. Interesting headlights indeed. I would rather it be in some sorta gunmetal-ish color instead of black and of course one piece would be nicer. A bit too much and I didn't even notice they weren't glass. I might think about it for a retrofitting setup and then sell the old lights. I already have 99 style so I'm sure there are a few people out there looking to get some. Then again...this may be considered rice too...
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 PM

For you guys thinking about doing a retrofit on these:

If your skillful enough to attempt a retro, why not just paint it black yourself. A can of high temp black paint is only $6 and the headlight will already be opened for the retro. Heck, might as well paint all the chrome black to make it look cleaner eliminating the need to mask off areas. Save money and buy used oem headlights instead. I'm not sure if the front lens is glass or plastic (didn't state anywhere in the auction). But i know our oem headlights are glass so they are pretty durable regardless of used or not plus no yellowing in the future. The aftermarket one is well, aftermarket, and it may be off a couple millimeters and that IS noticeable (to me anyways).
Just my take on this.

Gene.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98whtLmTD
For you guys thinking about doing a retrofit on these:

If your skillful enough to attempt a retro, why not just paint it black yourself. A can of high temp black paint is only $6 and the headlight will already be opened for the retro. Heck, might as well paint all the chrome black to make it look cleaner eliminating the need to mask off areas. Save money and buy used oem headlights instead. I'm not sure if the front lens is glass or plastic (didn't state anywhere in the auction). But i know our oem headlights are glass so they are pretty durable regardless of used or not plus no yellowing in the future. The aftermarket one is well, aftermarket, and it may be off a couple millimeters and that IS noticeable (to me anyways).
Just my take on this.

Gene.
Blacking out the headlight is easy but I don't know about the corners... I once tried blacking out my accord headlight, I did this before the JDM style black headlights were available, and lets just say I messed up the corners real bad trying to take them off... I just stopped and painted the corners of the lens instead... If these sob ebay sellers would sell just the blacked out corners, that would be great...
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm currently checking my suppliers for a better version. These things are made by several compaines and I'm looking for a quality version. When/if I find it, I'll try to help out.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Painted black headlights.

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthread...&o=186&fpart=1

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthread...t=2#Post638042

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JDM 99-02 Black headlights