Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Jack-In-The-Box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack-In-The-Box?

I called a couple of places trying to find a someone with a wall mounted coil compressor, but had no luck. I actually called just two places and one of them quoted me $80??? to put some spacers on a front set of strut assemblies.

I ended up borrowing a set of clamps from a friend. As I started tightening them down, they made some noises ("Pop Goes The Weasle started playing in my head and I kept thinking about that scene in "Elf")... Anyway, I stopped for fear of it taking my face off. I guess I'm just a wuss when it comes to cranking down those springs. I've heard too many people say "be very careful" I guess).

I'm wondering what some of you paid to have this done by a shop? is $80 to much? I thought $40 would be pushing it, but I definately don't want to do this myself. Seems like a 20-30 minute job at the most.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have a autozone in your area? I know they loan out free tools especially a coil compressor (hand).
Old 01-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

When Steve and I helped Bob with his, I think the shop charged $60. That was in San Jose, CA.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With a wall mounted compressor and air tools I could have em both switched in 10 min tops.
Definately the best wa to do it......smart to have someone else do it if you are worried.
.......could spoil a good time otherwise.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Jack-In-The-Box?

Originally posted by Beachrunner
I called a couple of places trying to find a someone with a wall mounted coil compressor, but had no luck. I actually called just two places and one of them quoted me $80??? to put some spacers on a front set of strut assemblies.

I ended up borrowing a set of clamps from a friend. As I started tightening them down, they made some noises ("Pop Goes The Weasle started playing in my head and I kept thinking about that scene in "Elf")... Anyway, I stopped for fear of it taking my face off. I guess I'm just a wuss when it comes to cranking down those springs. I've heard too many people say "be very careful" I guess).

I'm wondering what some of you paid to have this done by a shop? is $80 to much? I thought $40 would be pushing it, but I definately don't want to do this myself. Seems like a 20-30 minute job at the most.
I just did this myself and personally, it was much easier than everyone has said. Just make sure you have a GOOD set of coil compressors and just take your time. They shouldn't make popping noises period!!!

I did mine myself in 3.5 hours, but I went very slow and had never done it before. I could do it all again in under an hour probably.

I also have a friend who just paid 3 hours shop labor to have his front and rear coils/shocks changed, which was $120. If you are worried, pay the money, if not, do it yourself and save some moola. It is not that hard a job and much easier than a lot make it out to be, even the first time.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and may or may not bear any resemblance to sanity.