Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Inner CV Busted...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought my differential breather extension nissan fitting from autopartswarehouse (or well i did originally) and when it didnt ship after 2 weeks i called them up and they informed me it was B/O and they were going to refund my money. i should have asked if they ever planned to tell me that, but whatever. i ended up getting the fitting elsewhere.

as for the grease you should use the specific grease that toyota gives you.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 PM

highly recommend no aftermarket axles for your 4runner or any toyota for that reason if its mostly for road use. why don't you just rebuild your axle??? I know yall call them the "stealerships" and all but its less then $50.00 for the boot kit per axle assy at the dealerships, which includes the inner and outer cv boots with all the necessary grease and clips.... if you do alot of wheeling then quite possibly look towards getting thicker and stronger cv boots, no need to buy any new cheap a$$ axle from your local aftermarket parts store when you can rebuild the axle yourself for a hell of alot less.... just my honest opinon
Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Call Evan at Northridge Toyota in Cali and he'll get the boot replacement kit shipped out to your pronto and it's really easy to do, just messy.

You need to use Lithium grease. Toyota only sells the boot replacement kit that comes with a grease packet for each boot.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

i'd just replace the whole axle. i think the autozone ones come to about $70 after your core charge is refunded. its an easier+cleaner swap too. if you dont return your original, you can mess with repairing the boot after its out if you want a usable spare. the toy repair kits come with both inners & outers, clamps & inner/outer grease (the one i got from the dealership did anyway...) you dont need the special tool for the inner boot. only the outer. i didnt have it so i just used locking pliers...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 AM

I'm in the same situation..wasn't sure of replacing the whole axle, it wasn't broken just the clip on the inner side of the outer boot--it was still fresh so I cut the broken clamp off and cranked down on a 2in hose clamp..Is this an okay fix?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 AM
lee
Contributing Member

replace the whole thing, keep the other for a trail spare
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 AM

I recently too have a CV boot thats cracked. My question is, Should i replace the entire thing or would it be sufficient enought just to get new boots for it. The CV's are still in great shape for stock for being 11 years old. No Clicking no nothing, just a cracked boot which the grease leaked out.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 AM

I have had too many bad experiances with checker/autozone parts, the only parts i buy for the Yota come straight from the dealer.. It may be more, but its Genuine. And if im going to replace the one, im going to replace the other, Because when i lifted the runner the boots started leaking. So i put new clamps on there to stop the leaking, and well they're starting to stretch and crack quite a bit. and one has gone and it wont be long before the next one breaks.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Looks like this thread is old, so I'll hi-jack it one more time.

Several years (5-ish??) ago I had a shop point out that one of my boots on one of my front axles was torn (95.5 Tacoma). Told me I should have them replace the entire axle assembly (around $430, I think). Blew it off, said I'd do it later, and to this day, I still haven't done it, and have suffered no ill effects or catastrophic failures. I don't wheel for the fun of it, but occasionally use 4WD on rough forest service roads looking for camping spots in the summer, and in the winter in the snow. Am I really pushing it with this? If the axle locks up, what else could I wind up trashing?

I know, I know. I should replace it, but at the time it was an easy one to blow off, but with no performance or functionality issues, it's been easy to just keep putting it off.

Last edited by jdsdj98; 03-28-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

if the tear has been split open enough, it very well could have already spit out all its grease. in 2wd, not really a concern since they're just along for the ride, but of course it will wear much faster and eventually fail if they bind under heavy load of 4wd. if theres still grease in there, and the hole isnt too torn, you could do a ghettofab fix and duct tape w/ zip ties to keep the tape on (did i mention its a ghettofab fix? )

i ended up replacing both inner and outer boots using toyota's oem boot kit since i only had to do the outers but cant do the outers without doing the inners. didnt bother with aftermarket replacements as i like using oem stuff where/when i can. yeah it was a pain and a messy job, but they've held up great and instead of having torn boots on a trail spare, i just bought a usable spare from the wrecker. knowing theres still oem stuff in there lets me sleep better at night
Old 03-29-2007, 12:02 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
IMO, its just easier to place the whole axle, but thats about $100, but you then have a trail spare.
replacing just the boot, is about $20, or if ya go to the dealer its about $40 and it comes with the clamps, and grease.
74.99 at advance auto, brand new, not reman'd

also comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
74.99 at advance auto, brand new, not reman'd

also comes with a lifetime warranty.
With as much wheeling as you do Ric I am surprsed you didn't already have a trail spare Yeah tc has already used his lifetime warranty 3 times. (2 of those to just replace torn boots - but hey that is covered)!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Are the left and right CV axles the same part number?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

The hose clamp is a perfectly fine fix. You just have to be careful not to overtighten the clamps.

The part numbers are the same.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:25 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yeah i did that with my steering boots too

they both went on me, so i used hose clamps.

i overtightened one and it let go again a few weeks later. so i did it again and it has worked fine for 7 months now