Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm Going To Be Living out of My Tacoma....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Going To Be Living out of My Tacoma....

I've been excited, thinking about this winter......roadtripping for some ice-climbs, snowboarding, etc etc.. However the thought of driving 3 or 4 thousand miles with gas prices was making me cringe. So I figured, if I could manage a way to never stay in a hotel room, the money saved should make-up for the ridiculous gas prices. My answer was to create liveable space in my Taco, with which I can sleep in, camp in, and still haul all my climbing gear/snowboarding gear. Standard cab Tacoma owners know how awfully small the cabs are, so this addition to my truck was a godsend for me.
Here are some pictures.

note: there is thick 3/4" insulated,water-resistant padding under the carpet which makes this super comfy. Also, to deter condensation problems in winter-climates, I will be lining the cap with a thin layer of carpet. If privacy becomes a concern, I may add small curtains over the windows also
So far, I've slept in this setup on 2 climbing trips and have slept soundly.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Looks awesome! I would skip the curtains tho and go for limo tint for privacy.. Maybe even two layers.. IMO it would look 100x better.. Haha when i think of curtains in a vehicle, i think Ford Econoline
Old 11-06-2005, 07:28 PM

Be sure to insulate the topper!

Originally Posted by rngrchad
I've been excited, thinking about this winter......roadtripping for some ice-climbs, snowboarding, etc etc.. However the thought of driving 3 or 4 thousand miles with gas prices was making me cringe. So I figured, if I could manage a way to never stay in a hotel room, the money saved should make-up for the ridiculous gas prices. My answer was to create liveable space in my Taco, with which I can sleep in, camp in, and still haul all my climbing gear/snowboarding gear. Standard cab Tacoma owners know how awfully small the cabs are, so this addition to my truck was a godsend for me.
Here are some pictures.

note: there is thick 3/4" insulated,water-resistant padding under the carpet which makes this super comfy. Also, to deter condensation problems in winter-climates, I will be lining the cap with a thin layer of carpet. If privacy becomes a concern, I may add small curtains over the windows also
So far, I've slept in this setup on 2 climbing trips and have slept soundly.

I lived in my truck for almost 4 years, through summer and winter for climbing purposes as well. If you are going to be in the truck in winter be sure to have the interior insulated and if you have time, put in an small roof window/pop out so that you can let the condensation get out. That will be an issue over time. Shoot me an email if you want more hints on living in the truck.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by msw0085
Looks awesome! I would skip the curtains tho and go for limo tint for privacy.. Maybe even two layers.. IMO it would look 100x better.. Haha when i think of curtains in a vehicle, i think Ford Econoline
don't hate.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Haha I dont see any curtains but I do see some tint!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by linden
I lived in my truck for almost 4 years, through summer and winter for climbing purposes as well. If you are going to be in the truck in winter be sure to have the interior insulated and if you have time, put in an small roof window/pop out so that you can let the condensation get out. That will be an issue over time. Shoot me an email if you want more hints on living in the truck.
Linden, welcome to YT. I'll shoot you an email later for some tips/hints/ideas.
Thanks man.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

That's awesome man! More power to ya!

Tint would look awesome back there, or just put up a sheet when the time comes for privacy.

Fink
Old 11-06-2005, 08:34 PM

what are the specs on how you built it.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious on how your going to keep good hygiene?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:16 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the idea of camping in the truck on a road trip. I will probably be doing this next time i make it out to milwaukee. I think its an awesome setup and I think im gonna plan on rigging up something similar with my camper. My only question is where did that haggard looking shell come from? It looks like its circa 1973? LOL. Anyway, good luck and let me know how it works out as you will be making these trips before me most likely.

:EDIT: I would also like to know how you plan on keeping good hygene.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
id sure like to know about how to properly insulate the vehicle. can you please share your knowledge, linden?

thanks,
bob
Old 11-07-2005, 04:04 AM

hygiene...

Originally Posted by superjoe83
I'm curious on how your going to keep good hygiene?
All I'm really concerned about it brushing my teeth twice a day. I've spent extended times on the road living out of a tent, and managed to get to a shower about once every four or five days. During the winter time bathing, in my opinion is highly over-rated Most of the time I'll be surrounded by climbers, and as long as I can belay, they could care less how bad I'll smell

The tint sounds like a really good idea. I'm thinking of going with the cheap press on stuff so it is removable. I love waking up to sun in the morning!
...wow I need to get off YT and go to work. It's 8:00am!
cya
Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 AM

man I wish I was living out of my rig for a couple months for a climbing trip! Right now all I can schedule is 2 weeks over Christmas break in Alabama to boulder at Horse Pens, and Rock Town. Then May5-June10th I will live at Miguels at the RRG!

One thing that I've found really helpful is brining a pee nalgene. That way in the winter, you can just stay in your truck and pee, and not lose all the heat built up. If you are feeling real saucy, you can then toss the nalgene full of warm pee in the bottom of your sleeping bag to keep your toes warm. kinda gross, but you are living out of a truck.

also, where is your snowboard goin ? inside? or do you have a rack?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:41 AM

Baby wipes!!!!

During periods of my life as a guide owning a house just made no sense so I lived out of my vehicle. It helped a lot that I own a cargo trailer to keep a bunch of my stuff in but on a road trip, that isn't something you should have to worry about.

It's going to be tough to insulate the bed as auto glass has next to nothing for insulative purposes. This is where curtains would actually be a good idea. Find a cheap quilted something, a down comforter would be tits, but even one that is mostly feathers would work, to create curtains. Or save yourself all that work and get a good -50 sleeping bag. Condensation will kill the loft in a down bag unless you can vent your shell. Are those sliding windows I see? Leave them open an inch. A camper tip-up vent would be more helpful. Maybe you could find a sunroof from a junked car to install.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:05 AM

Looks good man!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/check-out-my-new-camper-70060/
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 AM

NICE!!! I have spent many a night in my 4runner (with dog)! On a cool CO night, the windows would ice over on the inside. This meant I had to let her warm up for a while to actually see out the windshield!! How long is the bed?? The runner is like 5'9"; I am 5'10"!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:48 AM

hippes, hippies everywhere - Eric Cartman

Seriously though, I lived out of a VW bus many times, all seasons..condensation is your biggest prob...that and the smell-ewwwwww...Have you considered one of those catalytic safety heaters? Runs on propane, very effeciant, works great..I spend many a night w/ mine sleeping in ski resort lots at -10F...toasty!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BAZ
My only question is where did that haggard looking shell come from? It looks like its circa 1973? LOL.
Got it for doing some arbor work for a friend. I have no idea where or what it came off of originally. I think you were right on the date though, I bet that topper is older than I am!

Originally Posted by INSrunner
also, where is your snowboard goin ? inside? or do you have a rack?
The board is going on the top of the shell in a protective waterproof board bag.

Originally Posted by Van
what are the specs on how you built it.
4x8 Sheet of 3/4" plywood($30)
1x12x8 material for the leg supports ($12)
15ft of Carpet purchased from Lowes(5.64) per ft
6x8Water resistant odor-ban carpet padding($20)
Hinges for "trap-door" ($5)
The most time consuming part is doing the carpet. It takes two people to pull it taught and then staple it. I used a Bostitch air staple gun that shot staples shaped like the letter U. I believe the supports are 11" tall, so therefore that would make the bed area to be around 12" tall, which is approx. 5 inches below the tailgate. (perfect in my opinion).
I'll be taking it out of my bed after getting back from The NRG this weekend, and will take some structural shots if you want them.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

I love it - thanks for the tips; just got a top and I will be doing something similair...

hippies rule!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:52 PM

Looks pretrty comforatable to me.

Quick Reply: I'm Going To Be Living out of My Tacoma....