Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I think I have to sell my 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would put a used engine in. Doing a quick search I found one for $1495 from ASAP Motors, which I delt with before (but for a Lexus SC430 engine). Google "used engines" and start calling. Find one with a warranty and get the best one.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 AM

I would agree with 4000 being pricey, but I only say that cause I just had the hg's and all the belts replaced and the heads machined and the windsheild replaced and paid just under 1100 (of coarse I supplied all the parts). My mechanic had to remove everything that your guy is going to have to remove. The HG job was flaged for approx 10 hours, and at 85 dollars per hour (high ball) thats still only 850 dollars in labor, plus a little machine work, lets say 200 bucks. I would like to know where the other 3950 dollars is going.
I am with everyone else on this, replace the engine, its cheeper.

Last edited by bruzer; 07-22-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Got The Quote

OK, I finally got a hold of the quote from the shop. This is a scanned copy, so take a look at it and see what you all think.

PDF of Price Quote:
http://www.allenpix.com/misc/yotatech/RunnerQuote.pdf

Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 AM

140k seems a little early for your truck to be having these kinds of problems, you always get two opinions before you spend 4k on your truck...
Old 07-23-2007, 04:19 AM

WOW for a lil more moneey you could get e anew Jasper motor installed..I would get that or a used motor somewhere else..
Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 AM
Maj

After spending $4200 you are still going to have an engine where a lot of the major components still have 140k on them (rings, bearings, oil pump, cams, etc.). It would not be surprising to see one or more of those begin to fail in the next 40k miles. Then you will be reliving your current nightmare.

IMHO trade it in or find someone in town who will swap in a used motor. If you can score a decent motor with 50k or less on it that should last you close to 100k more miles if not more. Again, I kinda doubt you will get 100k more miles out of your current motor if it is rebuilt. Me thinks the used engine swap will be cheaper too.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 AM

Put in a motor, hands down, you can find a low mileage motor and not have headeaches later.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

I had someone I trust suggest something before doing all of this work... I want to know what all of you think.

Put an additive into the gas as well as some auto tranny fluid into the crank case and drive it around to see of it can clear up any blockage at the vavle. Does this sound resonable or is this a waste of time. Also, what kind of additive would you reccommend?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey eric, wish i had time to help

id do a seafoam treatment before the ATF. into the crankcase.

the repair list reads like standard maint with the head work thrown in.
get another quote from simi toyota. if you sound like you know what your talking about they wont try (very hard) to over sell you.

i also say keep it.
fix it. i dont know any trustworthy mechanics in the area, wish i did! good machine shops in van nuys or oxnard.

northridge toyota may have the same or better deal on the parts if the retired guy will do the labor.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

I'm taking photos of my truck into a dealer tonight to show them how it looks AS IS! I want to know what they will give me for it as of ow and what they will if I strip it. If the numbers are substantially different, then I will hand it over and get a new car. But if the numbers are similar... I will be parting out some things on my truck or maybe parking it until I can fix it later. The problem is that I don't have several thousand to dish out right now, but I can handle a small payment for the next few years. If I get anywhere from $6500+ for my truck, I will probably be turning it in.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Maj

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I had someone I trust suggest something before doing all of this work... I want to know what all of you think.

Put an additive into the gas as well as some auto tranny fluid into the crank case and drive it around to see of it can clear up any blockage at the vavle. Does this sound resonable or is this a waste of time. Also, what kind of additive would you reccommend?
I doubt blockage is the problem. They probably did a compression test and found the valve to be leaking. No amount of snake oil, tranny fluid, carved up bananas, seafoam, etc. is going to improve a leaky valve.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

They said the valve's compression was at 70 lbs less than the others...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM

Change every single spark plug, the same thing hapened to my truck and I ran an obd scan and it read my no.4 cyl. was misfiring, I changed and the truck ran perfect.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yarosig
Change every single spark plug, the same thing hapened to my truck and I ran an obd scan and it read my no.4 cyl. was misfiring, I changed and the truck ran perfect.
I did this less than a year ago... full plugs and wires
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Normally, I'd say try to get it fixed for cheaper elsewhere, but this might be a good excuse for you to get a locked 4x4.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 PM

5VZ-FE Engine on Craig's List

it's in Ventura somewhere: http://ventura.craigslist.org/pts/380188169.html

Complete 5VZFE Motor from a 1997 4Runner. 146K miles and started to emit white smoke from tailpipe. It ran fine, but wouldn't pass smog. Rebuild it and save! I installed a used motor in mine, which cost much more than a rebuild, but I needed the car running quickly. My loss, your gain! I have a hoist to load it and a truck is about the only way to pick it up.
Thanks, John

(I'm guessing the 'white smoke' means blown head gasket)
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I spoke with the dealer and they said they would give me $6500 for 4Runner. I don't see this as bad considering that I would put it up for sale for $10,000. So, $4,000 in repairs or even $3,000 for repairs or a new engine, it's not far off and I can get a new vehicle and make payments instead of using the equity in my house to have the 4Runner fixed. So, 'm pretty sure that this is the way I'm going. As far as a wheelin' rig... mine is a 4x2 and I spoke with the wife and made a deal with her. If I get a "normal" daily driver, she will allow me to buy an older 4Runner to fix up. So, I plan on getting an 85' and fixing it up to climb. So, I'm actually kind of excited about that since I can do what I want to it and don't have to worry about it being my DD. So, when that time comes and I find the perfect one, I'll get to buy it and it'll be my project truck. Thanks for all of your help people... Yota owners ROCK! I'll be back!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I did this less than a year ago... full plugs and wires
me too, I changed the spark plugs and this happened to me a 2 weeks later. I couldn't believe it when I pulled the plug out. Just go to your local auto parts store and tell them to run an OBD scan.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 PM

That quote is REDICULOUS why do all toyota owners insist on going to the Stealership? That tech is charging you for 2 remanufactured cyl. heads when you dont even need them! one burnt/leaky valve and that means you need new heads?wrong. Also 400 bucks for a head gasket? you can get a entire gasket kit at a local auto parts store for less then that.

Take it to a mechanic that will take off the one cylinder head and replace the faulty valve. Also do the timing belt /w water pump thats like 1000-1500 in parts and labour at a reputable garage then you can sell it as running(for full price) if you really wanna get rid of it, or you can just keep it)

Last edited by BC_4runner; 07-24-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Is it me or does a I think selling a new car nowadays cost more than 10k? I wouldnt sell a very nice 4Runner only getting 6k out of it then buying another car for at least 10k total. you would break just as even as if you fixed it? unless I really do suck at math. Keep it... fix it my .02

Quick Reply: I think I have to sell my 4Runner