Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I Need Help ASAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need Help ASAP!!!!

Ok it's not as bad as I leed it on to be but I do need some help ASAP on locating my wire to my headlights so I can install my reverse indiglo gauges.

ANY write ups would be great or pictures, discripstions, ANYTHING would be better than my blind picking and choosing. Also any hints or tips on how to hideor run the wires from the gauge faces to the power supply would be nice. I know alot of you guys have done at least on guage replacement on your Runners, so please help me out.

I already have everything off and installed thanks to Butnut and Sleepy's write-up on removing the gauge housing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Stump:

I have a write up for you that I wrote on Word but never put it to an html document but its at home. Can you wait? I have some juicy pics too.

As far as tapping goes, for the power, Butnut (Brian) gave me some really great tips. I tapped the wire running to the stock corner light by running a positive wire through the firewall, removing the corner, and then tapping the green/silver wire. Your color maybe different. Just use a volt meter to tap a 12v wire.

Grounding was easy. I just used a self-tapping metal screw and screwed it near the kick panel.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-11-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electrical Diagram

Gotta be someone out there with an electrical diagram for the 96. Come on, help Stump out. I've got the 93 version, so I'm sure I can't help ya.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:54 AM

Tap into the two wires leaving your dimmer control if you want to control the brightness along with your other gauges. Toyota uses a reversed ground system and the dimmer is on the ground side of the circuit so you have to tap both wires, one for power the other for ground to control brightness.

If your system uses one of those voltage changing gizmos and you only need a steady 12+ when the lights are on, then locate the wire bundle that leaves the steering column on the right side of it. Use a circuit tester and probe the wires until you find the one that is 12+ only when you turn on the parking lights. That will be the wire you want to tap into.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Tap into the two wires leaving your dimmer control if you want to control the brightness along with your other gauges.
Good call Gadget
When i installed some indiglo gauges in my Honda Accord i ran the positive straight to the fuse block.
When i got in my car in the morning to go to work and i turned on my headlights the whole interior of my car looked like a piece of kryptonite had fallen out of the sky into my dash.
It really was hard to drive.

I then took the positive and connected it to the dimmer switch.
Mucho better