Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to Change Door Locking Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Change Door Locking Behavior

I'm trying to change my 2000 4Runner so that when I hit the "UNLOCK" button once, it will unlock all 4 doors and the tailgate. Currently, I have to press UNLOCK twice. The first few steps seem to work:

Follow this procedure to change the operating functions of remote controls already programmed into a system. you may change the remote control's default unlock operation mode so that pressing the UNLOCK button once causes all doors to unlock at the same time. Also, you may activate the AUX button function on 4 button remote controls.
1. Before you begin: Open the driver's door and remove the key from the ignition switch.
2. Start the programming procedure. (Complete these steps within 40 seconds.)
a. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 2 times.
b. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
c. Insert the key into, and remove it from the igition switch 1 time.
d. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
e. Insert the key into, the ignition switch and leave it.
f. Close the driver's door.
g. Turn the key from LOCK to ON 4 times (ending at LOCK)
h. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
i. The tail and marker lights flash 4 times, the buzzer chirps 4 times and the doors lock and unlock 4 times.
* If the system does not activate the lights, buzzer and door locks 4 times, start over.

That part works. But the final steps do not work. Anyone else reprogrammed their remotes before? Any suggestions?

Here are the final steps that have worked before:
3. Select the operating functions for an existing remote control.
a. Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on one remote control at the same time.
b. Select one of the following modes:
I. Press and release the LOCK button to select the double unlock function (press the UNLOCK) button twice to unlock all the doors.
II. Press and release the UNLOCK button to select all door unlock function (press the UNLOCK button once to unlock all the doors at the same time.
III. Press and release the AUX button to select double unlock function (press the UNLOCK button twice to unlock all the doors) and activate the auxiliary output for the optional electric trunk release accessory.
IV. Press and release the PANIC button to select all door unlock function (press the UNLOCK button once to unlock all the doors at the same time) and activate the auxiliary output for the optional electric trunk release accessory.
* Program for 4 button remote controls only.
c. The tail and marker lights flash 1 time, the buzzer chirps 1 time, and the doors lock and unlock 1 time.
Note: repeat the above steps to select the operating functions for additional remote controls.
* If the system activates the lights, buzzer and door locks 2 times, start over.
4. Complete the programming steps.
a. Open the driver's door.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
That's seems like a lot to go through just to press a button once.