Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Horrible noise when backing up in 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible noise when backing up in 4 wheel drive

This is only the second time it has happened. The first time I dismissed it as just being the driveshaft hitting the gas tank. I don't think this is it though because both times the suspension was hardly flexed in the rear.
The first time I was offroad backing up hill and had to give it some gas to get it to budge and then EERRRRRRREAAAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last night was similiar except I was backing the rear driver side slightly onto a snow bank. This was similiar to last time because I had to gas it a little to get it to move and then that loud horrible noise again. My buddie's wife was outside and I don't think she was very impressed.
Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me this is normal.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has happened to me twice now and would like to know what it is too.

Seems like a slipping clutch or something, but I'm auto....like there is too much resistance and something is slipping anyway...always when I'm giving it lots of power and its not moving going backwards....
Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM

I heard that noise (or a similar one) a couple times last year on my truck when backing up in 4hi. Both times my tires had something in the way to overcome. The 1st was a curb, then next was a burm of snow that I tried to bust through and didn't quite make it. The noise was an "eeeek" type of sound and my guess was a bushing getting squished or something like that. I removed my sway bar because one of the links broke (totally unrelated) and I haven't heard the noise since (but I have backed up in 4hi lots and lots of times up hills, over rocks, in snow etc... My theory is that the front suspension drooped with the rear pulling on it and the sway bar rotated in the bushings. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I have tried to recreate the noise with my sway bar off and can't.

Last edited by brian2sun; 10-13-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 PM

^I already have my rear sway bar removed though, so no luck there...but it does sound like the same situation and sound as mine...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 PM

I was talking about my front sway bar (was the one I removed).
Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM

hmm...really dont think it was the sway bar though. I could feel a vibration, and it felt/sounded like it was more coming from the middle of the vehicle (transfer case/transmission area) as opposed to the front.....