Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

High speed virbation...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nofilter
i had it. i dropped my driveshaft, and drove in 4wHI (effectively FWD). gone.
my front ujoint was very stiff, but not really 'BAD.' no play, no rattling around. i had the u-joints replaced and DS balanced. i also tightened down the transfer case flange before putting the DS back on. the nut was incredibly loose - not finger-tighten-loose - but when i bent the lock tab away and put my torque wrench on it, the nut tighted up about 1/8 turn. i re-bent the lock tab with a hammer and screwdriverand bolted up my DS. 2wH and vibration was COMPLETELY gone.

i don't know if it was the u-joints, DS out of balance, or the flange was loose. probably a combination of all 3 to some degree.

BTW, mine happened about 6 months after my downey springs.
Could you feel the vibration in the steering wheel?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vibration is fixed!! I took it to the stealer and had them check the balance on the newly mounted tires with their new Hunter balancing machine. I had the vibe before and after the new tire mount and balance. The dumbass who originally did my balance at the tire store apparently screwed up bad. The left front tire was out 2.5 ounces and the righ was out 1.5. DUH!!!!!! All better!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:54 AM

just wondering, but wouldn't a worn tie-rod cause vibrations? i know on the old supra, tie-rods fixed its vibrations at 100mph :-P
Old 06-18-2004, 07:10 AM

QUOTE: Could you feel the vibration in the steering wheel?

(sorry, i don't know how to use that feature)

mostly in the gas pedal. when i would let off the gas slightly, the vibes would lessen some. back on the gas, and it would intensify.

i think i replaced my tie rods and steering stabilizer and idler arm a few months before this particular vibration started. and it was because of sloppy steering, not a vibration problem.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Nic

All my vibration is felt in the steering wheel and nowhere else. If I look at the passenger seat when I get the shake, it wiggles a little too, but I can't feel it other than in the steering wheel. I have convinced myself it is the tires. Since my truck is an Xtra-cab, I was thinking the center support driveshaft bearing was going bad and causing the vibration. I finally went through the trouble of taking my rear driveshaft completely loose and driving in 4Hi. It still shakes the most at about 63MPH. I had a co-worker following me in another vehicle a while back. He knows about my vibration problem and said he noticed that 3 of my 4 tires definitely have a shimmy.

I have had it on the Hunter machine twice. Once at Goodyear, and another at a private shop. I did not know about the Road Force numbers either time, but I was aware of lug balancing on the second go round. The lug balancing I requested the second time did not help. I did notice later that the shop wrote the numbers on the inside of the tire with a grease pencil. The numbers were 26, 44, 16, and 6. So, 3 out of 4 have high numbers. The one with the 44 was one that I replaced not too long ago when one went bad! I have Dunlop Radial Rover RVs and I am betting it is the tires. Unfortunately, all but the replacement came with the truck when I bought it, so I can't really complain to anyone. The tires are new too.

I have recently bought a set of alloy wheels that I am in the process of taking off the clearcoat and polishing them. Once I get done, I am buying another set to put on the alloys. I hate to buy another set, but I am hoping that will take care of the problem.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:28 PM

I also have the Dunflops and 2 out of 4 of the tires are out of round. The tires came with the truck when I bought them. They have about 10k on them. I'm going to replace them soon so if anyone in the Denver area wants some slightly out of round tires for cheap, let me know.