Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help w/ maintenance for 3rd gen (98k miles)

Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ maintenance for 3rd gen (98k miles)

1. Thanks Bob for the link to Toyota service intervals and required service.
2. I have a 3rd gen w/ 98k miles and the timing belt was done at 60k. Other than this, basic oil changes, battery replacement, shock replacement and new tires are all that's been done on this truck for maintenance purposes.
3. I will be out of the country for two weeks and I have a laundry list of items I want done to my truck as follows:
4. BG Cleaner (similar to Seafoam) in the engine and gas tank. I'd like to do this to get any crud out of the motor and gas tank, if applicable. First question is will this require new plugs? Others that have used Seafoam have talked about having to replace plugs due to the cleaning.
5. Tranny flush w/ Amsoil tranny fluid. Will also add a Hayden tranny cooler. My mechanic has driven the car and he says that the auto tranny shifts fine so no issues with doing the flush as others have claimed that a flush should not be done after 50k miles if this was not regularly done. Any thoughts?
6. Fuel filter - very basic.
7. Adjust rear drums and e-brake. New steel-braided lines up front for the Tundra brake conversion (recently done). Bleed brakes.
8. Change rear diff fluid to synthetic.
9. Clean throttle body and FIPK (no MAF I think)
10. Radiator flush.

For a major, there are a few extra items that I did not include such as plugs, which were changed 5k miles ago and an oil change that was recently done. Maybe after the engine cleaner, I will need new ones. I'm also waiting on new spark plug wires.

Did I miss anything? I would hate to have a bunch of items done and miss something b/c I want this to be the last full service for awhile. FYI, I drive less than 10k miles a year.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

the belts, water pump, timing belt.

Last edited by kevin444; 10-11-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelen1
1. Thanks Bob for the link to Toyota service intervals and required service.
2. I have a 3rd gen w/ 98k miles and the timing belt was done at 60k. Other than this, basic oil changes, battery replacement, shock replacement and new tires are all that's been done on this truck for maintenance purposes.
3. I will be out of the country for two weeks and I have a laundry list of items I want done to my truck as follows:
4. BG Cleaner (similar to Seafoam) in the engine and gas tank. I'd like to do this to get any crud out of the motor and gas tank, if applicable. First question is will this require new plugs? Others that have used Seafoam have talked about having to replace plugs due to the cleaning.

BG44 is good stuff too, I used to use that when I was a mechanic and it worked quite well.

5. Tranny flush w/ Amsoil tranny fluid. Will also add a Hayden tranny cooler. My mechanic has driven the car and he says that the auto tranny shifts fine so no issues with doing the flush as others have claimed that a flush should not be done after 50k miles if this was not regularly done. Any thoughts?

I disagree with that....unless the tranny fluid was burnt I am of the opinion it is fine to do a tranny flush at almost any time in its life. When the fluid it burnt, I'd just change the fluid in the pan multiple times to buy time before a rebuild.

6. Fuel filter - very basic.

I would if not done for a while.

7. Adjust rear drums and e-brake. New steel-braided lines up front for the Tundra brake conversion (recently done). Bleed brakes.

Not sure if you are in a rust belt but check to make sure all the e-brake parts move freely up to the rear drums (one of the levers which attaches to the drum assembly has frozen up on mine and it makes it impossible to adjust the rears properly). Just pull on the cable at the back of each drum and make sure it moves.

8. Change rear diff fluid to synthetic.

Synthetic may help MPG a bit.

9. Clean throttle body and FIPK (no MAF I think)

Will help idle to clean the TB. Yes, you do have a MAF and I might consider cleaning it if you do have a FIPK.

10. Radiator flush.

Use Toyota red or another long life coolant (prestone makes a long life too that I use).....no green stuff.

For a major, there are a few extra items that I did not include such as plugs, which were changed 5k miles ago and an oil change that was recently done. Maybe after the engine cleaner, I will need new ones. I'm also waiting on new spark plug wires.

You may need new plugs or you may not. Depends how much stuff gets dislodged during the cleaning. Just pull a plug after and have a look. Replace if they look bad.

Did I miss anything? I would hate to have a bunch of items done and miss something b/c I want this to be the last full service for awhile. FYI, I drive less than 10k miles a year.

Pretty good list IMHO.
See responses in red above.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 10-13-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

MTL 4 runner, you're awesome. I'll print out your responses and give the sheet to the mechanic.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:58 AM

What about lubing the driveshafts?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lance
What about lubing the driveshafts?
2WD, no lubing for me. Thanks though.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

mm you still should keep your main driveshaft lubed... if youve ever been sitting at a red light and felt a slight jolt forward, it is past due (assumes auto tranny)
Old 10-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by msw0085
mm you still should keep your main driveshaft lubed... if youve ever been sitting at a red light and felt a slight jolt forward, it is past due (assumes auto tranny)
2wd are non-serviceable.....only 4wd have the zerk fittings.
On a 4x4 that should be part of regular maintenance (at least once a year).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 10-17-2005 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by msw0085
is this something that be done by me, and if so what equipment do i need??
we had the dealer do it @ 75k but it's still doing it, they said it was starting to get dry
Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

idk i would defer to MTL_4runner on this one..he def knows what hes talking about..I know my old 2wd occasionally had the situation I described..search around some if you havent..
Old 10-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dallison
is this something that be done by me, and if so what equipment do i need??
we had the dealer do it @ 75k but it's still doing it, they said it was starting to get dry
What vehicle is this?
4x4?