Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hella 500 driving lights - stock bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregbreakseverything
That was one of my original plans, the only problem is im poor, and i dont have the infinate pile of metal at my dad's shop anymore.

I know what you mean! I know you can pick up stock aluminum at the hardware store, in sticks of 1/4" x 2-3" by 24". I used some for another project. It's pretty cheap and you can cut it with a hacksaw.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:07 PM

Ive never seen that oin a hardware store, it seems like it would be perfect. I gotta track some of that down.

I noticed your into mountain boarding. That always seemed to be the fastest way to get hurt.lol The only time ive ever seen any is in the best movie ever, New World Disorder. (The first one).
Old 07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Ive never seen that oin a hardware store, it seems like it would be perfect. I gotta track some of that down.

I noticed your into mountain boarding. That always seemed to be the fastest way to get hurt.lol The only time ive ever seen any is in the best movie ever, New World Disorder. (The first one).

Yeah MTBoarding is definitely one of those sports where it's not a matter of "if" you get hurt, but "when". I've been riding for a few years now. I love it. Right now it's a little too hot out where I live, but I'll be hopefully heading to th mountains here a few weeks so I'll be taking the boards with me. It's a lot of good, sweaty, dirty fun.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Ive considered trying it, but since i cant stand on a skateboard without hurting myself, ive never gotten around to it. My mountain bike does a good enough job of keeping me injured.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Ive considered trying it, but since i cant stand on a skateboard without hurting myself, ive never gotten around to it. My mountain bike does a good enough job of keeping me injured.

I hear ya on that... I actually broke my wrist downhilling on my skateboard last October, and I've been a little more subdued in my "adrenaline activities". I haven't stopped by anymeans, but I'm thinking just a little longer before hucking myself off a cliff...

What kind of bike do you ride? I have a KHS 304 set up as a aggro XC/Trail bike. I love it, but it's just too stinking hot out here to ride during the summer. But as soon as it cools off, it's on!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Im rocking a cove foreplay with a manitou slider plus on the front. MIP chainstay, Hayes hydrolic, and shinamo deore and hussafeller parts. At the rate i break parts, i never found it worth it to buy expensive stuff. Last winter i moved out to the praries, and i havent been able to ride my bike yet this summer. And once again im too poor to buy a smaller fork so i can ride it on the street. Poor bike doesnt know what to do.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Im rocking a cove foreplay with a manitou slider plus on the front. MIP chainstay, Hayes hydrolic, and shinamo deore and hussafeller parts. At the rate i break parts, i never found it worth it to buy expensive stuff. Last winter i moved out to the praries, and i havent been able to ride my bike yet this summer. And once again im too poor to buy a smaller fork so i can ride it on the street. Poor bike doesnt know what to do.
Sounds like a rad freeride/trail setup. I'd love to have a bike that is more dedicated to freeride/black diamond type stuff, but A) I dont have the cashola, and B) I really don't have the time to take it to where it would really be worth having it. The KHS does really well on the rough stuff, and it's a good all around bike. I'm pretty happy with it. I threw on some Hayes mechs (Got a good deal), Sun Rhino Lite rims, a Koski DH bar, RaceFace lock on Grips, and a WTB saddle. It came with a Rock Shox Pilot 100mm fork, and a Bar Air rear shock. It's a pretty sweet ride for what I paid for it... Anyway, now that we have completely hi-jacked this thread... Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 07-07-2006, 12:47 PM

Ive gone though so many saddles (landing drops without feet on peddels) its stupid. Ive settled for always having a bent or broken rail. Ya, we kinda got off topic.

So anyone with 99-02 4runners have any advice on mounting lights on the front bumper?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:06 PM

I drilled through the bumper and mounted them on my 02.

Aaron
Old 07-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
I drilled through the bumper and mounted them on my 02.

Aaron

Well, Greg, you can't ask for a much more simple answer than that! Thanks for keeping it short and sweet, Aaron!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:43 AM

Not to get to far off topic, but im looking to get some Hella's for my 98, that has a bush bar to mount to. What do people think of the different light types? There is the ralley, fog, driving lamp, pencil lamp and i think a couple more. Im looking at the 500 clear fog lamp (wasent crazy over the amber before) to mount, since i would like to see the sides of the road better (damn animals at night) and a better view of up close.

Any inputs?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:25 AM

The only lights i have used are my kc daylighters, they pretty much kill people when turned on. They actually worked very well in the fog because i had them mounted above the cab. Who wouda figured. Not what they are ment for though.

Aaron, did you drill just through the metal, or where the plastic over laps the metal? Did you notice any bouce?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Arron
Not to get to far off topic, but im looking to get some Hella's for my 98, that has a bush bar to mount to. What do people think of the different light types? There is the ralley, fog, driving lamp, pencil lamp and i think a couple more. Im looking at the 500 clear fog lamp (wasent crazy over the amber before) to mount, since i would like to see the sides of the road better (damn animals at night) and a better view of up close.

Any inputs?
I found the Hella 500's to be usefull on the roads at night because I could "aim" them to be a bit wider than my headlights would go. They aren't floods, so the beam is pretty focused (It's kindof a "flat" beam") but the work great for really lighting up the sides of the road or trail. I like 'em.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:35 AM

As far as lights used...... Hella 500's for the roof they were ok,, IPF J-01 they were cool because of the dual beam but over all good. PIAA 520 FOG good, 580 DRIVING as well as PENCIL very good, and most current lights LightForce 240 Blitz w/ clear and yellow diffuser covers,, well I haven't seen anything like these ever! They set the road on fire. and as you know are adjustable from spot to flood.

Aaron