Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gen 3 Electric fan Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Picked up a shroud from a 96 runner and will begin test fitting with the '97 Taurus fan. Need to do some research on the "relay" pod that is part of this fan. I will post up some preliminary pics of the mod of the OEM shroud. Man is that opening BIG!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 AM

Well this weekend was interesting to say the least. I will post up a few more pics when I get them downloaded. I was too stressed to deal with posting pics.

First I had issues with trying to mate the Taurus fan to the 3.4 Toyota shroud. After two different types of glue/epoxy neither of which worked I tried some of the plastic pipe glue. Ended up using the General purpose cement which is white in color and come in a red can. Used the cleaner (yellow can) and was able to somewhat fill the gap when I fitted the the Taurus fan into the cutout I had made in the Runner shroud. I let it set up for over 24 hours. Used 3 - 8mm 1.0 bolts with nyloc nuts to hold the other three points and was able to pretty much line up the fan base with the base of the shroud. I ended up cutting two notches out of the shroud to fit the fan in place.

During install of the fan on the radiator, I had to fight with rain, hail and yes even some snow! This is freakin April for crying out loud! LOL, anyway, the issue I ended up with was after removal of the radiator, and then the fan, I reinstalled the nuts on the water pump pulley. I forgot one small item when I tightened down the nuts ... yeah I forgot about washers. After getting everything put back together, carefully documenting all the steps, I began to fill the radiator ... time to turn on motor to help get some of the coolant back into the motor. Well it made the most ungodly rattling. Quick check to see if it was rubbing on something and turn off the motor. Checked the pulley and it was loose, then it occurred to me "you forgot the washers".

The next several hours where interesting to say the least. Trying to get the nuts off without pulling the studs, ended up pulling the studs and wondering how to get the nuts off without destroying the studs, then getting the studs back in! Good thing I don't drink! Thought about starting ....

But with much perseverance and pulling of hair, I was able to do all of the above. Now the only thing I have to do now is loosen all the motor accessories, power steering pump, alternator, and if I can figure out how to do those along with the a/c compressor, I'll just go ahead and change out all my belts as well. I sure hope my FSM shows me how to do this. Never had to change the belts on a 3.4

So word to the wise, if you do the electric fan install, don't forget to put a couple of washers on the water pump studs after you pull the fan
Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner

So word to the wise, if you do the electric fan install, don't forget to put a couple of washers on the water pump studs after you pull the fan
On mine I took the studs out and replaced them with bolts.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Oh sure NOW you tell me!

So tell me, what did you do? What type of bolts did it take and how did you install them. This might be a great time to do such a replacement. Heck I got it all torn apart. I might as well replace those while I am at it along with all the belts. Just need to figure out the way to get all the equipment loosened up and be able to install the belts and then tighten them all back up. I did replace the two radiator hoses, seemed like a prudent thing to do.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

What type of bolts did it take and how did you install them.
Well they are metric and I just screwed them in.

Ok, I don't remember the thread pitch and length (I've slept since then) But I measured the pitch, diameter and how long they needed to be and Ace hardware had some that were perfect. If you don't have a set of pitch gauges and calipers just take a stud with you to the hardware store and match it up to the bolts. On the length you want it to have as much thread engaugement as possible without bottoming out. I made a lot of trips to Ace hardware doing my 3.4 swap.

Here's a pic (everyone likes pics),you can see the bolt heads:

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-21-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait...I think I missed it...what is wrong with the stock fan?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Awwwwwww, I see said the blind man. Why didn't Toyota just do it that way? I may just pull the studs now and replace them with bolts makes more sense. Thanks Dale
Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Wait...I think I missed it...what is wrong with the stock fan?
About 2-3 horse power
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Why didn't Toyota just do it that way?
With the fan clutch on there probably wouldn't be room to get the bolts in, nuts on studs would give better clearance. But with the fan off that doesn't matter.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM

Well I did not have quite the clearance you have in yours Dale, but I do have a significant amount now. I found out the size bolts we talked about and I got them installed this after noon so I thought I would post so anyone else who might want to do this will have an idea of what they should be looking for.

The pulleys removed and before stud removal.

Pulleys installed using new bolts. I used the 16mm length but there is also a 12mm length which should work just as well. The thickness of the pulleys is not more then about 3/8" so if you use the shorter bolt you will still have plenty of bite into the pulley mount. Yeah and those studs were a bear!

More as it happens

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-22-2008 at 05:01 AM.