Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gauge and dash backlighting

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man! It took a crap ton of experimenting and way too much money. But finally got what i was looking for. The head unit's a Pioneer AVH-P600DVD. Got a great price through Crutchfield. Way cheaper than anywhere else, including refurbished ones on ebay! Crazy!

Last edited by AppRunner; 05-04-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM

Ha! I can't even remember how many times I've said,"Oh honey, it will only cost me $40 bucks to do this!" She is beginning to catch on to that one.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Alright..

I just recieved in the mail today my bulbs for the etc button and rear window from superbrightleds.com. basically they dont fit!! i searched this thread and i ordered 2 of the NEO3-xHP. can someone please help me??? i have a 2000 4runner. thank you in advance..
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyo89
I just recieved in the mail today my bulbs for the etc button and rear window from superbrightleds.com. basically they dont fit!! i searched this thread and i ordered 2 of the NEO3-xHP. can someone please help me??? i have a 2000 4runner. thank you in advance..
Do NOT order from superbrightleds.com. Some of their items don't fit, but those that fit will burn very quickly. Regardless where you set dimming to full or 3/4 as they recommend, not a single bulb from them lasted more than 2 months. And trust me, taking your dashboard apart every two months sucks!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 AM

subd for later reference
Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrey
Do NOT order from superbrightleds.com. Some of their items don't fit, but those that fit will burn very quickly. Regardless where you set dimming to full or 3/4 as they recommend, not a single bulb from them lasted more than 2 months. And trust me, taking your dashboard apart every two months sucks!

I am having a hard time believing what you said based on the fact the dimmer will no longer work (at least that's what I was led to believe by experiences on here). I could be wrong though as their site says the dimmer will still work.

And the lack of eplaining which bulbs, standard LE, SMD LED, WLED-x, WLED-x5 etc etc.

And all the dimmer does anyway is drop the supply voltage to the bulbs which were meant for 12V to begin with.

I looked all over their site and could not see where it mentions to put the dimmer on full or 3/4.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I am having a hard time believing what you said based on the fact the dimmer will no longer work (at least that's what I was led to believe by experiences on here). I could be wrong though as their site says the dimmer will still work.

And the lack of eplaining which bulbs, standard LE, SMD LED, WLED-x, WLED-x5 etc etc.

And all the dimmer does anyway is drop the supply voltage to the bulbs which were meant for 12V to begin with.

I looked all over their site and could not see where it mentions to put the dimmer on full or 3/4.
You probably misread what I said. Dimmer works, not a problem.

After several sets of LEDs that I purchased from superbrightleds.com have burned, their "tech support" suggested to turn my dimmer down by about 1/4-1/2 to ensure bulbs last longer. They did last longer, but now instead of 1 month they burned in 2 months. Still ridiculous in my opinion.

That's why I was saying to stay away from those. While they will look nice initially, the long-term quality is sub-par and I personally will not be buying another set from them.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM

so... which bulbs do i need??? haha please help! 2000 4runner, need led bulbs for etc button and rear window button!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyo89
so... which bulbs do i need??? haha please help! 2000 4runner, need led bulbs for etc button and rear window button!!
You need a Type A (T3) 8mm Neo wedge. They fit snug and you have to be careful not to bend or break the led since it's so small. Since it's polarity sensitive, if it doesn't work, just turn it around. Here's a link:

http://autolumination.com/74.htm

Scroll down until you see this (about halfway down):

Japanese OEM Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C

(Note to choose the correct bulb, measure the diameter of the base)
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
You need a Type A (T3) 8mm Neo wedge. They fit snug and you have to be careful not to bend or break the led since it's so small. Since it's polarity sensitive, if it doesn't work, just turn it around. Here's a link:

http://autolumination.com/74.htm

Scroll down until you see this (about halfway down):

Japanese OEM Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C

(Note to choose the correct bulb, measure the diameter of the base)
In other words one that is meant to replace a 24 bulb and not a 194 or 74.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-13-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
In other words one that is meant to replace a 24 bulb and not a 194 or 74.
Actually. The 24 is a blade type push-in bulb in between a 194 & 74 in size. The Type A (T3) is a half turn screw-in.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 AM

tose buttons don't have a regular bulb in them you have to replace the entire base?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so i didnt read through all the pages to see if this had been stated or not but i read somewhere that you can sand the tips of the LED's some to help disperse the light better and get rid of the hot spots
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Sorry if I am reviving a dead thread. I just wanted to state and ask a question
I own a 98 4runner SR5.
Planning on changing the dash, ignition ring, hvac and shifter lights to LEDs.
All that I've read has brought me to believe I need the following:
3x 194 WLED-xHP5 ( I am getting white because I don't want to lose the red in RPMs if I used blue BUT CORRECT ME IF I WON'T lose them ) from http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FWLED-xHP5.htm

4x 74 Tri-Power 3 LED Bulb (I am getting white for the HVAC, I want to see the red on the gauge for heat in fear of losing it if I used blue ) from autolumination.com

So I am hoping I won't have any hot spots in my shifter or key ignition ring. I've seen some pictures where people have used blue in the shifter and they have a major hotspot in "REVERSE" from using a BLUE LED. I am hoping WHITE won't have any hotspots in the shifter. Any thoughts anyone? Also I have read but can't find again, a post about someone putting a 5-point led in their shifter to improve light, any comments?

Recap: white leds for dash, white leds for hvac, white led for shifter, and i cant decide between a red or blue led for the ignition ring.

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 12-21-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM

i know this is a bit off topic but in my 1999 runner the ECT and defog switches an the right side of my A/C controls wont light up. How can i fix this?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
I'm planning on replacing my stock green backlighting with blue LEDs and I know that there are three #194 lights behind the gauges, but I haven't been able to find how many #74 and/or #194 bulbs I would need to replace for the climate control, shifter, rear window switch, etc... I basically just want to replace all the green with blue. Any help?
I had a 97 4runner and did the same thing, let me just say that other than the 3 gauge 194s and the 2 blinker 194s, you need to leave the indicator lights stock. you cant tell if they are on or not due to the colored plastic on the gauge cluster itself.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 AM

I thought I would add another way to change the color of the clock. This is better than uses the kaboom bottle. The problem I had with the just sticking the plastic from the bottle between the display and the clock cover was that during the day it was hard to see the clock. So this time I took the plastic clock cover from a 92 toyota MR2 and cut it just a little smaller to fit between inside of the 4runner cover. Then I cut and filed the 4runner clock cover the exact size of the one from the MR2 and just popped it into place. Hope this is of use for the guys that are picky about the little things like me I tried to post a couple pictures but the file size is to big. If anyone wants to post the pictures message me and I send you the pictures of what I did.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 PM

So I just got my 5wled bulbs from superbrightleds. actually came faster than autolumination which has not even come yet. anyway i will take pics soon.
Also anyone knows what the 2 port wires are for behind the dimmer switcher? when i pulled apart the dash it had 2 white port looking things, i mean 2 separate ports and i was wondering what they were for? fog lights??
Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 AM
WJC

'scribed

A lot of good info in here !!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM

another issue, where do i file down on the led bulbs for the key ring ignition??? diagram with arrows would be great for future modders too

Quick Reply: Gauge and dash backlighting