Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gauge/cluster lighting...insight

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gauge/cluster lighting...insight

So I know there is an electrical section but upon my numerous searches for gauge lighting much of it was in this section, being that I have a 99 Tacoma, here we go...(sorry if needed to be moved).

Long story short, burnt out a gauge bulb, So while I'm in there, I will be replacing everything with LED's. I know that I need 4#194's.

Here's the thing, when this topic/threads on this started, there were not many options in bulbs...I think the fanciest was a 5 LED bulb, but still it produced many hotspots. So I went to this specific part of autolumination's site: http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm seems like there are many more bulb options.

I have concluded for the two turn signals, a sharp LED isn't necessary, as those who have done say, the blue, seem to say it's extremely bright. It seems to me that those bulbs that light up the signals are JUST for the turn signals...they do not light up any of the gauge. So I was looking at the 194 "Frosted" lenses (at the bottom of the page). They have a direct out the front light which is softer due to the outside plastic. (I'm guessing like when your headlights get "hazy")

Now, for the two that light up the tach and speedo (and the rest of the gauge, obviously there needs to be some more light output...from the sides. I was looking at the 194 supernova bulbs (4th down) because of the 4 LED's that shoot the light out sideways, so they reach the fuel and engine temp. the thing that I'm wondering is because these mini side output bulbs are small, they will send a sharp light that direction, which in turn could create minor hotspots and not evenly distribute that section of light. Yet, because of the 5 total light output sources on this particular bulb, it will put out plenty of light, it seems.

The other option I was considering was the 194 superstar (6 one down). It says it's made specifically for gauge clusters and is rated for constant use, with a wide beam pattern. Although there are no designated LED's for sideways light, like the supernova. Yet, it seems the light spreads because of the casing; similar design to a headlight lense.

So a couple questions;
1) If anyone has had experience with either of these 3 bulbs, am I on the right track, and of the last two listed, which one would be better for the two bulbs that light up the instrument cluster (not turn signals)?

2) Would that soft light bulb be good for the turn signals, so i don't get blinded or should I stick with one of the other bulbs so they are all 4 the same?

3) There seems to be an ongoing debate whether LED's dim or not. I have read threads with some people saying that they don't, yet other's have had luck with them dimming (to a point, then turn off). It seems in general the people who ordered from Superbrightleds.com could not dim there clusters, which is why I looked into autolumination, as well as it seems many people who have done this have gotten bulbs from there (good selection). Can this be confirmed from someone who has ordered from there? I would like to keep the option of dimming.

Thanks for the help in advance. Sorry for the long winded post but I want to get all my info correct before I order, because when I do, it's a one time deal. I have too many aftermarket switches that will be a PITA to unplug from the back of the trim, remove, and then reinstall withough some kind of damage. So I'm going to try to get in and out of there one time...

Last edited by KrashDH; 07-26-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure about the first 2 questions but for #3 i orderded my LED's from superbrightleds.com and couldnt be more satisfied. they do dim to a certain point, then cut off but by that time my stock gauge lights are also dark.. hope this helps
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey ya thanks for the reply. Not sure which ones I'm going to get yet because there are a couple contenders, as I wrote. It's good to know that they do dim. I'm guessing some people say they don't because they aren't sensitive to small changes in light. I knew that the change wouldn't be dramatic, I was just hoping there would be some.

I'm waiting for a reply back from the company to see what they recommend for the bulb for my truck. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have experience with these bulbs that I listed?