Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FZJ80 springs on 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
You guys need to put away your tape measures and figgerin', and just put them on! Refer to the photos, shown with stock tires, for total lift. It is not radical. Just remember, spring length does not translate to lift. It only approximates it.
I know, I just dont have a lot of free time to wrench.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
I sure hope they are soft. I *MAY* get them in there this week, then I want to get them to the local wheelin spot to test them out.
Refer to my test comments above. They ride nicer than, say, the OME HD +1.5" springs I had in Red Chili 1, a 1990 4Runner, and those springs were superior springs. Makes my Taco feel like a board. Some folks drove the truck in Moab and commented on the plushness. Yet, they do not sag appreciably with a heavy load. Not sure how Toyota did that, but they did.

I find myself wishing for either 1) about 1" less lift, or 2) about 2" more tire . By that of course, I am complaining about my tire budget, not the lift...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
These coils are so freakin long, it looks like I'll need to use the spring compressor to get them in there.
Naw. You will need to disconnect the swaybar & shocks of course and perhaps have someone with a 2x4 help with leverage. Run away from spring compressors.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Guess what I did last night...

...I got my used FZJ80 coils put in! So far, they are great. The ride on the road is more plush than my OME 891's. I haven't had a chance to test it off road, other than a short section of dirt road by my house, and dropping it off of a few curbs. So far, me likey

They really aren't any harder to put in than any other coil. Just like Red Chili said, disconnect the bottom shock mounts and the rear sway bar. I jacked up the rear of the runner as high as my jackstands would go, placing the stands under the rear of the sliders, took off the tires, let the axle drop and pull out the old coils. I had a friend helping me and he just pushed down on the axle (his foot pushing down on the brake drum) while I got the first one in. The other side was easy once you get the axle to droop.

I am using springs from a '97 with about 140K miles on them. I noticed when I got them that one spring was a hair longer and had about 1/2 a turn more than the other. I decided to put that one on the driver's side to compensate for the gas tank. I should also point out that I am using the stock rubber isolator cones and I am netting right at 3" of lift.

Check out this pick, from left-to-right these are the stock '98 4Runner coils, OME 891's, and the front FZJ80 coils:

Here are some lifted pics:

If you look close at this next shot of the rear, you can see why it is important to have either a new track bar or a drop bracket for the track bar (the axle is shifted to the pasenger side without it!).

Ryan and Andy, you guys are up next!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet... if i only could find the time!

looks like you need at least another 1/2" up front. what are you gonna do about that?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
sweet... if i only could find the time!

looks like you need at least another 1/2" up front. what are you gonna do about that?
Well, I have my own version of the Frankenstruts up front and the old coils I used seemed to have finally sagged. My net lift up front is only about 1.75".

Sitting at home is a pair of brand new tundra coils waiting to be put on. I'll utilize some home made aluminum top outs with those to hopefull get up to about 2.25-2.5" of front lift. Hopefully tomorrow morning...
Old 07-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good Jayson...

I got a set of those sitting at home waiting to be put in as well. I got them from a guy on HD Cruisers (free).

I just need to find time to get them installed. Looking for little smoother highway ride.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good Jayson. Did you leave your rear swaybar disconnected or did you fab some longer endlinks? I'll be curious to hear feedback from you and Jim on how they handle offroad.

My current 891s have had it. I have a new set on order but the more I think about it the more I am considering buying a new set of the FZJ80 front coils. Since you are getting 3" of lift with a set that has 140K on them (w/ the isolator cone and stock bumper), I was thinking I may try some new ones thinking they may better lift/support the weight of my Rockware.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Lance and Jim, thanks for the compliments.

Lance, I should have pointed out in my post that I am running my old stock front end links on the rear, since they are little bit longer than the stock rear endlinks. I am going try it for a while like this and maybe fab some longer rear links down the road. I need to address the track bar more than anything...

New ones may be worth a try for you. I actually had looked at them on a couple of the online parts dealers when I was ordering my Tundra coils, I think they are about $70/ea.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:55 PM

You do not need spring compressor. If you remove the upper links on the axle side and support the axle with a jack under the diff, you can put the springs in easily. just make sure you have tall jack stands.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

HOLY CRAP! These things are L---O---N---G!!!!

Those are Downey 2.5" lift coils on the bottom that have sagged to about 1.5" of lift.

The cruiser coils have about 140k on them...

the tire shop didn't give my wheel lock key back, so i couldn't get the rear wheels off. w/ them still on and the valve stems removed and them totally flat, i still couldn't get the axle low enough to get them in. the runner was on jack stands at full height and the axle fully drooped and it was NO DICE...

Last edited by bamachem; 08-07-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:00 AM

For those of you that have these coils installed, what is the ride and off roadability like? I'm still deciding what I want to do, so any info or updates you have would be awesome.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

I think the ride on the street is pretty good. There is a tiny bit more body-lean in turns, but other than that, I am pleased. I have not been offroad with mine yet, but I suspect they will be just fine based on Red Chili's pics earlier in this thread...

Andy, your downeys look really short compared to the line-up pick I posted with stock, OME and 80-coils.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

jayson, did you ever get your tundra coils and spacers put in?? i'd like to see some pics if you did, i'm wondering if it will be more evened out.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I got the tundras in. I had topouts on there, too, but it jacked the font up way too much, almost three inches, and the CV's were pretty bad. I am running just the tundra coils and getting just under 2.5 inches of lift. I don't have any more pictures, though. I'll try to work on that later this week...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

Old 09-03-2005, 12:31 AM

yea i wanna see them
im putting mine in on monday, and i heard that stock shocks will work with a 2" extentions. anyone know anything about this
Old 09-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

I finally put mine in yesterday...

They gave me about 3.25" of lift over stock. The ride seems nice, although only on the road so far.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:58 PM

You guys moved the proportioning valve bracket up too right? or move the lower pan hard bar up. If not, your doing all the stoping in the front.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by anthony1
You guys moved the proportioning valve bracket up too right? or move the lower pan hard bar up. If not, your doing all the stoping in the front.
3rd gen with ABS = No Proportioning Valve

I also have the Sonoran Steel 3" Drop Panhard Rod so no problem there either

Thanks for the heads up though

Quick Reply: FZJ80 springs on 4runner