Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FTC Tuning Questions... Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I know many people may not pop into this thread, but those who do, do you know how you go about getting and extended warranty? Is it worth it for me since they may find the fuel mods?
I would say no. But I am not saying no because you have fuel mods, etc. I am saying no because statistically speaking, the chances of getting your money back on an extended warranty are very slim. Most financial guru's (like Dave Ramsey) will say the same thing.

On the flip side of that you are protected by law. So, the part that fails under warranty cannot be directly caused by the modification at hand. For example, if an axle seal goes out, the FTC could never be to blame. Dealers will try to blame anything they can though. "Sir, that in-tank Walbro fuel pump you installed is sending out an ultrasonic signal, which in turn caused your axle seal to fail. Sorry, it's not covered." You know, crap like that.

But again, my reason is more from a financial standpoint. If the extended warranty is $1000 for another 5 years, you have to ask yourself a few questions: Will you own the truck for that long? Are you going to finance that extra $1000? Will $1000 worth of parts (unrelated to your tuning stuff) fail in that time frame?

Take the 97 I just sold as an example. The guy had all the receipts. It had 197K miles on it. If I went through and added up all the things that would have been covered under an extended warranty (which he did not have) it would total about $500, the majority of that being the clutch pedal assembly which was $350.

If you feel like your rig is going to fall apart and you can get an extended warranty that will pay for itself, then maybe you should do it. However, with all the mods you have it is going to be a rough road trying to convince the dealer to cover the cost when a part breaks that is even remotely close to being caused by the mods.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I would say no. But I am not saying no because you have fuel mods, etc. I am saying no because statistically speaking, the chances of getting your money back on an extended warranty are very slim. Most financial guru's (like Dave Ramsey) will say the same thing.

On the flip side of that you are protected by law. So, the part that fails under warranty cannot be directly caused by the modification at hand. For example, if an axle seal goes out, the FTC could never be to blame. Dealers will try to blame anything they can though. "Sir, that in-tank Walbro fuel pump you installed is sending out an ultrasonic signal, which in turn caused your axle seal to fail. Sorry, it's not covered." You know, crap like that.

But again, my reason is more from a financial standpoint. If the extended warranty is $1000 for another 5 years, you have to ask yourself a few questions: Will you own the truck for that long? Are you going to finance that extra $1000? Will $1000 worth of parts (unrelated to your tuning stuff) fail in that time frame?

Take the 97 I just sold as an example. The guy had all the receipts. It had 197K miles on it. If I went through and added up all the things that would have been covered under an extended warranty (which he did not have) it would total about $500, the majority of that being the clutch pedal assembly which was $350.

If you feel like your rig is going to fall apart and you can get an extended warranty that will pay for itself, then maybe you should do it. However, with all the mods you have it is going to be a rough road trying to convince the dealer to cover the cost when a part breaks that is even remotely close to being caused by the mods.

Do they usually offer them to you, or does a person have to ask? From your response I would say they would ask you since they have a chance of making some nice pocket change from a person.

Maybe they won't offer it to me since I never brought it in for an oil change or a lube job or anything like that?

I would pay cash if it's only $1,000 for 5 years. I would do it just for the fact that I wouldn't have to do the work myself. I need to stop thinking and doing things for a little and take a freaking vacation. I know I never know if the work is done right, but it's done.

I would think that the first cat failure was related to mods done to the truck.
I would buy it just not have to worry about something major, and trying to do it myself.

I have a constant hum from the front wheels, and one CV boot keep popping off from the clamp and it's all rusty inside, so that may be it, or the bearings need to be greased if at all possible. Is it?
And how hard would you fellas gauge replacing all the stock steering fittings with zerks?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Just threw a new CEL I never saw before. P1121. It read out and something like "air fuel metering......" I don't remember exactly.

I was at coming to an underpass traffic light and I noticed it cutting out a lot and I looked down and saw the CEL. I barely got up the grade on the upside or the underpass, and plugged in the scanner and it read that one code only.

I looked it up on the software that came with the scan tool, and nothing comes up.

I looked on the net and came up with these things:

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem.
This was from http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd2_codes.html

And this was from a Ford site.
Throttle Position Sensor Inconsistent with Mass Air Flow Sensor

Neutral Position Switch Circuit High Input [MT Vehicles] From a Subaru site.

I doubt those are close except the Ford one.

If I replace the O2 sensor and TPS, what route should I go? OEM or aftermarket? I think I read some stuff here about Bosch O2 sensors not being that great, so I would go to www.URDUSA.com for that. And as far as the TPS, I am at a loss as where and what to get.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 07-24-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Still wanna meet up? I think I may head down in in July. I have to see where I can schedule vacation.
Maybe I can drive/ride in both yours and Gadgets trucks to see what real power is supposed to feel like
Sure. I will be around all summer. Let me know something when you get your plans straight.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Get the TPS from Toyota. Get O2 sensor form URD
Old 06-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
Sure. I will be around all summer. Let me know something when you get your plans straight.

I'm gonna try to shoot down to MD in late July or early August. I really can't go at the end of July since it's my G/F's b'day. It's really up to Gadget though.
I have to get a calendar and look up to see what I can do.

I am out from work now for almost a month and I really don't want to take off too soon.

I have a pretty bad case of tendon, ligament and muscle damage in my right forearm.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Get the TPS from Toyota. Get O2 sensor form URD
Looking for a OEM TPS, can't seem to locate one for my truck.

Looked at a few sites including http://www.toyautoparts.com/4RU-V6-005_2002_parts.html and I can't seem to locate it. Must pay local dealer price.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

TPS request
+
My VIN number
+
Problem description

No TPS for my truck in their database.

They don't give out part numbers.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just threw a new CEL I never saw before. P1121. It read out and something like "air fuel metering......" I don't remember exactly.
From: https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/dr_z_obd/dr_z.htm

P1121 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem

Which is the TPS. To find one, List: $54.13, Their price:$38.97
Old 06-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall

I never ran across that site. Thanks a million.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Think more people wil be interested?

I will HAVE to hog all Gadgets time this round though.

My truck = POS without his knowledge with this FTC.

We can all go somewhere and watch eachother slob down tons of crab.

EDIT: Or I can meet up with you in Busch Gardens or in the area after I get this baby tweaked.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 06-10-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

I am trying to order the part, and yesterday when I did this search, It came up with the 4Runner part, now it lists it for a Taco only. I guess it may be the same part since the prices are the same.

"throttle position SENSOR, Tacoma 98-04 $54.13 $0.00 $38.97
Electrical - Powertrain control - throttle position sensor "

Originally Posted by midiwall

Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Went to Toyota today to talk to a mechanic about the "TPS" that my truck doesn't seem to have now. They searched and searched in the computers for soemthign that would relate, and nothing. No one I spoke to remembered working on a TPS for my truck either. I also showed them that webside that was posted earlier, and it came back for a Tacoma even when entered as a 4R.

I have an appointment to go and have it hooked up to their scanner, which they claim takes 3 hours.

I wonder if they will say it's the CAT again.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 06-13-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Think more people wil be interested?

I will HAVE to hog all Gadgets time this round though.

My truck = POS without his knowledge with this FTC.

We can all go somewhere and watch eachother slob down tons of crab.

EDIT: Or I can meet up with you in Busch Gardens or in the area after I get this baby tweaked.
Sure. I am sure a few guys will meet up. I can think of about 3-4 4rs and at least 3 other modded trucks (land rover and 6.5 turbo dieseil blazer)

I know a great seafood restaurant in Dumfries (near Quantico) right on the Potomac.
Or come to Richmond and I can show you all kinds of stuff
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 PM

Went to Toyota today to talk to a mechanic about the "TPS" that my truck doesn't seem to have now. They searched and searched in the computers for soemthign that would relate, and nothing. No one I spoke to remembered working on a TPS for my truck either. I also showed them that webside that was posted earlier, and it came back for a Tacoma even when entered as a 4R.

I have an appointment to go and have it hooked up to their scanner, which they claim takes 3 hours.

I wonder if they will say it's the CAT again.
Your engine has a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) code VTA and a Accel Position Sensor code VPA.

The TPS is on the throttle body. The Accel Postion Sensor is likely on the gas pedal.

Are you sure you want those guys touching your truck?

Gadget
Old 06-13-2005, 09:35 PM

I may be a bit late (and wrong) since you seemingly gave up the USB connection attempt... but you didn't mention drivers at all. Any USB that needs to act like a Serial port will need a driver. Might there be one on that CD you didn't get the first time? Or was that just install docs? COM6 indicates that it's looking for serial input. I have a phone and a GPS that does the same thing and each needs a driver. Just a thought.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget

Gadget
Old 06-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Down2TheC
I may be a bit late (and wrong) since you seemingly gave up the USB connection attempt... but you didn't mention drivers at all. Any USB that needs to act like a Serial port will need a driver. Might there be one on that CD you didn't get the first time? Or was that just install docs? COM6 indicates that it's looking for serial input. I have a phone and a GPS that does the same thing and each needs a driver. Just a thought.

I'm giving up on this part for now. I'd rather it tuned by Gadget.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
Your engine has a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) code VTA and a Accel Position Sensor code VPA.

The TPS is on the throttle body. The Accel Postion Sensor is likely on the gas pedal.

Gadget

Nothing came up since I cleared the codes. I know I shouldn't have done that, but the truck just didn't want to move much when it threw the P1121 code.

Nothing came up on their computer. I cleaned the contacts on everything under my hood yesterday.

I want to try to get all this stuff out of the way before I head down there. The mechanic drove the truck while it was hooked up to their diagnostic tool, and they said the truck didn't hesitate.

It really only throws codes while I'm on the highway and cruising for awhile.
Usually I cruise at 85 MPH and it'll throw the codes, and I never noticed anything when I am slower than that, except for the stumble and that P1121 code.

EDIT: I sent you an e-mail.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 06-14-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

After the YT chat, I mentiond a kill story I have to the members, it might sum up this thread.

Here is the whole kill story in all it's glory.

I got beat by a sotck Focus. One of the little green 3 door hatches.

Should I have enough power to beat that or no?

Why me?

EDIT: Never really remembered it until the chat dragged it out of the bowels of my mind. I may have forgotten this for a reason.

EDIT II: This is when the truck was running without the cutting out problems in the colder months this year.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 06-18-2005 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: FTC Tuning Questions... Where to begin?