Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front and rear True Trac's. Yeah?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I ran that set up for about 2 years. I could keep up with people with hard front lockers, but I had to try harder. I made the switch to an ARB in the front after I broke an axle and couldn't even back up out of the position I was in because all of the torque went to the broken axle side.
I wanted to believe in your front true trac and was always looking to see if it helped you. But in the end I think the consensus was that it never worked when you needed it to and worked when it did not matter. If it would have worked better it would be a great front choice, but all you did was struggle. Yeah you kept up but it was painful to watch.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 01-13-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 AM

We'll, i did some testing today and for my needs i think that the ATRAC system will take care of me. So, i will only be re-gearing. I was actually very supprised by the ATRAC, the truck went further and did things that i thought that it wouldnt be able to. So unless i decide to get gnar with it, this is it. If that day comes, i will go for the ARB's most likely. Thanks for the help/advice guys.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Considering the large expense of re-gearing, I would at least put an ARB in the rear as the install will be free or do the dual True Tracs. There was a guy we wheeled with a long time ago that kept trying to use the 01-02 computer and if you up the antee just a bit more it does not work very well. The 01-02 system works really well in snow, where as the 03 4Runner and FJC system works really well all around.

I'd at least stick an ARB in the rear and call it good.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 AM

I hear you Steve, but heres my reasoning.

If i just regear now and then at a later time decide to do front and rear lockers i will be out approx. 300ish bucks for the installs. With me removing the 3rds of course.

If i had to put money on me either needing lockers or not, i would go for not.

Now if i did go ahead and throw in a rear ARB right now, theres a grand or so. The way i see it, i would rather take a chance with 300ish bucks vs. a 1000. Am i being logical here?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

I would take the computer system out a few more times before deciding.

If it still works for you, then go with it.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 PM

Yeah, i definitely will. Probably a bit tomorrow. We'll see.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run dual True Tracs on a Gen1 4Runner (see avatar).

The "neatest" diff would be the an electrac - its a tru trac that is also a LOCKING diff.... Jeep Axles only tho

First off - a Tru Trac is NOT a "limited slip" but a "torque sensing differential" - VERY different animal IMHO.

For STREET use, a Tru Trac will handle BETTER than a "limited slip" becuase it will bias the torque.

For "one wheel in the air" type wheeling - the Tru Trac is as useful as an OPEN diff

With the Toyota "brake biasing" - the torsen will "lock up" slightly so it can be made to do some neat stuff.

BTW - Military Hummers used the be set up with Dual Torsens (aka TruTrac).

I find that the TruTrac and studded snows means that I often do NOT have to get into 4WD when driving in snow storms...
Old 01-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Well i did a little wheeling today. I went up through "Last Chance Canyon" in Red Rock Canyon just a little north east of me. I got through but if Steve would have been watching he would say "You kept up, but it was painful to watch." Haha. It goes up through a fairly narrow wash with plenty of rocks. I had a wheel in the air a few times and it took several attempts in a couple spots. A rear locker would definitely have been nice. Hmmmm. I could go front and rear ARB's but i was about to buy another Gixxer. ARB's would kinda kill my funds for that. Decisions, decisions. This sucks. Maybe i should just suck it up and go with the Detroit EZ locker for the rear and deal with the little annoyances on road and then i can still get the bike.

I have too many expensive hobbies. Errrrrrr.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Why not front TT and rear ARB... inbetween the $1000 difference..
Old 01-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Front and Rear ARB's is only 300 more than rear ARB and Front TruTrac. When spending this kind of money an extra 300 is nothing.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

I like my TT front and rear E-locker. I think it's agreed that dual ARB's is the most versatile but since you are re-gearing, I'm with Steve. Put SOMETHING in the rear. Go for an ARB if you can.

What about a TT in the front so you at least have something? The rear is less expensive to work on since it's a common third whereas the front really sucks to work on.

If you don't wheel hard enough to warrant lockers why do you want to re-gear.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:11 PM

My 2 cents: Only do the TT in the front if you have manual hubs otherwise the front driveshaft may spin all the time. The ARB is the best choice for the front since it will act like a normal open diff when not in use. As for the rear do the TT if you just want a little more traction on all road/trail conditions.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Wife told me to stick with one hobbie and go all out. So front and rear ARB's it is. 4.88's along with them. She's down with some gnar wheelin' so its on. Gonna hold off on another bike for a while. Bought a mt. bike instead. Right On.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:01 AM

question: do you have skids/sliders to go with those lockers...as you will now be able to get to places you really dont want to be
Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 AM

^^^^
Werd! Sent emails off last night. A Bud Built skidplate and a set of Stubbs sliders will be on their way to me very shortly. Right On.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Good choice on the ARBs, you won't be disappointed. Just to confirm what some others have said about the trutrac. I have seen a rig with a trutrac in in the front need a lot more skinny pedal than others would have put into an obstacle. Indeed, it was painful to watch. The ARB is the way to go.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by xonetruthcrewx
^^^^
Werd! Sent emails off last night. A Bud Built skidplate and a set of Stubbs sliders will be on their way to me very shortly. Right On.
I like the stubbs sliders... looking seriously at them with the Trail-Gear bolt on guessets....
Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SteveO
I have seen a rig with a trutrac in in the front need a lot more skinny pedal than others would have put into an obstacle. Indeed, it was painful to watch. The ARB is the way to go.
I hear ya...no more True Trac for me
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 PM

All the parts will be here tomorrow. Should get it all installed in a couple weeks. Gonna put the truck in the shop while i'm out in Colorado for a week on a snowboard/snowmobile trip. That way there will pretty much be no down time for me. Kinda.

I also highly recommend Stubbs. Richard has been awesome, making sure everything is perfect. Good stuff.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 AM

Bumping this from the depths, I've been researching trutracs, and found the review linked in this thread to be very useful!

Quick Reply: Front and rear True Trac's. Yeah?