Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Frame replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame replacement!

I wanted to pass this along to fellow Tacoma owners, Toyota is still replacing frames for 1st gen Tacomas. I brought my 04 double cab in for an inspection and they were pretty hot on getting it to pass. Low and behold the service manager says he found a "spot" and sent pictures to corporate. About 10 days later I get a call from the dealer, new frame and associated parts on order! I immediately start ordering parts because my suspension was due for a refresh anyway. I have an appointment Tuesday going to strip front rear bumper and sliders off Monday night and drop it off with a slew of sweet new parts. They said it should take around 3 days. I will update after I get it back. Also my buddy took his 05 in and they kept it saying it was unsafe to drive and they gave him a loaner, he will be getting a new frame as well! Gotta love Toyota for standing behind there vehicles.

Last edited by surfishjoe; 08-26-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well it is a 15 year extended warranty from date of sale so 03 and 04 still will qualify .

As long as the truck was inspected back in 2011 and the band aid under coating .

Every day people still buy these trucks not being hardcore Toyota people unaware of these Frame Problems .

Live in a Northern climate (Liquid Brine) it is just a question of when.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
sweet deal you squeezed in under the 15 years
Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is my frame is in "good" shape for being 13 years old the only rust I found was back by the spare tire carrier and it was just flaky surface rust. That being said my buddies 05 had holes in the frame- his rust was completely different. My previous 99 which was bought back was also in good shape but there was a spot that was boxed in by the passenger rear shock mount that had filled with sand and rusted from inside out but it was a very small spot. I have a buddy with a 2500 chevy similar vintage that has a torn shock mount and broken gas tank straps due to rust. I just traded in my wife's 07 Yukon that had a sway bar mount tear off the frame due to rust, I agree the crap they put on the roads is killing vehicles prematurely. I try not to drive when they put that stuff down and if I do I try and hose it off asap.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Joe,
That's awesome. I wish this goodwill would extend to 4Runners as well. A neighbor of mine has a '99 with s fist-sized hole in the frame.

I agree that the caustic crap they throw on the roads is to blame, but I also frown on Toyota for a rather lackluster prep/paint job on these frames. It's sad to see an otherwise perfectly fine 4Runner or Tacoma get sidelined because of this issue.

Andreas
Old 08-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Thing is the 4Runners were built in Japan.

Never saw the Dana Frames !!

Just the Liquid Brine and a 18 year old vehicle