Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fixing rust on rear hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fixing rust on rear hatch?

I just noticed this last week. Its rusting on the lip on the very bottom of the rear hatch. One side is worse, and I can see it starting to bubble up on the other side.

Anyone else have ths problem?

How should I go about fixing this myself? I have a MIG welder and a bunch of tools. I've just never done rust repair or any kind of body work that doesnt involve using a sledge hammer. Should I just grind away all the rust until I reach clean metal? I'm REALLY hoping I can fix it to where I don't have to repaint the outter metal. I'll rattle can the inside. It hasnt came through the outside panel yet that I can see.

Once I get all the rust removed, I can cut up some sheet metal and try to re-form the original panel, tack welding it in place. Should I coat the new metal in anything special, or just some rustoleum?

What is causing this? I'm guessing water runs down and collects in the ends here. Is there somewhere I could drill and make a drain hole? Or is there a drain already that might be clogged up?

I really want to fix this, as the truck is very nice, and this is the only spot of rust on it. I dont want it to get out of control and rust out the entire hatch.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was mine I would clean the rust,with evapo rust:
http://www.evapo-rust.com/
then either prime and paint it or:
http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=1&dept=1

I used this on a grill and the color match was dead on,if you want to prime and painr,or paint over por15:
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

I would not weld on the sheet metal,you have no idea how thin it is and how quickly it will distort...also I would try and chemically remove the rust,once its all gone you can see how much metal is left...Probably enough to just pime and paint,if not you could easily Bondo it and prime and paint..
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like surface rust, grind it out till its gone and find some good etch primer to put on it before you put anything else one it. Etch is acid based and bonds to the metal. No kind of paint or primer should go on metal before some kind of etch or corosion protection is put on it first. If you grind through, welding it might warp the panel. I use a small hand held bead blaster (sand blaster) for small spots. It gets it gone. Stay away from rustoleom. You can get etch primer in a rattle can as well. Put several coats on it and let it dry, scuff it with a scuff pad, don't go through. If you do, put some more on it. Then prime it, let that dry. sand it smooth. you may have to prime it several times depending on the amount of grinding you did to it. Then paint it. You are welcome to put rustoleom paint on it if you like, but at least it is protected now.

Last edited by Shawn6string; 12-16-2008 at 11:57 AM.