Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FINALLY! new gears and rear locker!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FINALLY! new gears and rear locker!

so after 3 years of salivating waiting to get a rear locker, the day has finally come! my rear end started to go out, and i figured, why not throw a locker in it? so i go to my local 4 wheel parts store ( my previous offroad store really lacked in customer service) and speak with my buddy about getting an ARB air locker put in and to replace the stock 4.10 gears in the rear diff and he shoots me a price of 1900 for an ARB air compressor, an ARB rear air locker and 4.10 genuine gears and i would have to install the air compressor and run the air lines, so i started talking to him about maybe regearing to 4.56's and installing the compressor for me, turns out the price was only 600$ more.

so long story short, for 2600$ (i know, its hurting my wallet just to type that!) i got regeared with 4.56 precision gears (better than genuine {IMO}) the air locker and the compressor all installed. i feel like i got a good deal, maybe i didnt, but it sure beat all the other quotes i got by about a grand! i decided not to lock the front because i dont want to take my truck anywhere i would need a front locker (at least yet) and if i had it, i would take it places it doesnt belong!!

pics will come tomorrow and im taking her offroad as soon as i hit 500 miles (at this rate it should be monday or tuesday)!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

Should have taken pictures through the process. Congrat! Can't wait till my turn.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

haha i was about to say that sounds exactly like what blake is doing.....
Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 AM

i know you can get the built thirds for cheaper on the internet, but im the kind of person that would rather pay a little more and have a warranty than save a few bucks and get screwed in the end.

so you paid roughly 1650 for the rear? thats better than what i paid, what brand gears do you have in them?

i know that the rear cost right around 2000, so im assuming that means the front cost 600$

the first quote i got was 1900 for the rear diff and new gears, but keeping the same ratio (4.10) and not touching the front or installing the air compressor.

so when i found out i could change to 4.56's and have them install the compressor for 700$ more, it made the decision that much easier.

i looked around at several local offroad shops, and ill say that they are ruthless when it comes to screwing people out of their money, and 4 wheel parts did a GREAT job... i just cant wait to get out and test it out!!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that is a chunk to pay, but who cares...you got what you wanted.

Btw, great choice in locker!

Oh and how do feel the 4.56 gears combined w/ 33" tires compare to stock gearing and stock tires? Anotherwords, did the 4.56s bring you back to stock power and mpgs or do you feel you should have gone with 4.88s? Wondering too how you like the 4.56s on the hwy?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM

i wanted that same setup but i dont know what the 4.56 gearing would do because i want to keep the 265-75's
Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Wow, that is a chunk to pay, but who cares...you got what you wanted.

Btw, great choice in locker!

Oh and how do feel the 4.56 gears combined w/ 33" tires compare to stock gearing and stock tires? Anotherwords, did the 4.56s bring you back to stock power and mpgs or do you feel you should have gone with 4.88s? Wondering too how you like the 4.56s on the hwy?
it was quite a chunk, esp on a college kids budget... i geuss that is what credit cards are for (jk) i havent been able to use the locker yet, but perhaps this weekend i will get some time to test it out!

the 4.56 gears make it so much smoother on the interstate, cruise control doesnt have to floor it over hills any more, mpgs seemed to have improved dramatically, but that might just be cause i drove 60 the entire way to break in the gears, ill get a real world number to you by next weekend regarding my mileage. i think the 4.56's are great for my application... i drive A LOT on the interstate and didnt want my motor revved out the entire time i was going 80, so i think i made the right choice!
Old 09-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

yeah i can understand having a warranty, i think Jim warranties the rears as well

precision gears actually.

I have my front end already built when I paid for it for 750 with arb air locker and precision 4.56s lucky me :/
Old 09-30-2007, 07:16 PM

i hate you
Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did 4.88's and so far am happy with that decision. Towed a 2500lb trailer around Phoenix friday and was much better than with the stock gearing. Its probably slightly overgeared for general unloaded highway driving, but most of my long distance traveling will involve a trailer and/or being weighed down with camping gear, s/o, dog, etc.

For front and rear ARB's and gearing I think the tally was around $2200. Since I hadn't added it up before that kinda hurts to see in print. I'm in the process of doing the compressor install myself, had the gears/lockers set up in the rear and bought a used built front diff.

My install thread is >here<
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
it was quite a chunk, esp on a college kids budget... i geuss that is what credit cards are for (jk) i havent been able to use the locker yet, but perhaps this weekend i will get some time to test it out!

the 4.56 gears make it so much smoother on the interstate, cruise control doesnt have to floor it over hills any more, mpgs seemed to have improved dramatically, but that might just be cause i drove 60 the entire way to break in the gears, ill get a real world number to you by next weekend regarding my mileage. i think the 4.56's are great for my application... i drive A LOT on the interstate and didnt want my motor revved out the entire time i was going 80, so i think i made the right choice!

Glad to hear the 4.56s are working out for you. I myself do a good deal of hwy driving too and when it comes time to regear, I do not want to regret my decision and have to do it all over! 4.56s sound like the best match for my situation too, but please do provide some of your real world numbers when you get a chance.

Oh and one more request, will you please list what your rpms are - at 60mph, 70mph and 80mph whenever you get a chance? I would like to compare them to mine before I increased my tire size.

Originally Posted by 111db
I did 4.88's and so far am happy with that decision. Towed a 2500lb trailer around Phoenix friday and was much better than with the stock gearing. Its probably slightly overgeared for general unloaded highway driving, but most of my long distance traveling will involve a trailer and/or being weighed down with camping gear, s/o, dog, etc.

For your situation, sounds like you made a good choice w/ the 4.88s. If I hauled a lot of stuff or trailer for that matter, 4.88s would be a no brainer. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

cant wait to see some pics of you doing some serious stuff with that rear locker.

didnt notice, did you get full size or mini compact compressor?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM

i got the compact compressor because it fit where i wanted it to go, and when i go with OBA i will be getting something powerful enough to run air tools.

i cant wait to take it out and test it either, this week school is gonna be a pain so i might not get out till the weekend, but i will def. keep this thread updated the second i do get her out in the woods!

hey bill, here are the answers to your questions about RPMS

60 mph

70 mph

80 mph

oh, and a picture of where i had them mount the switches, i absolutly love this position for them!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:45 PM

notice i left room for the front air locker button... just in case
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Nice setup Kyle!

Hey and thanks for the rpm numbers too.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

wow those rpms arent bad at all, looks like a total of like 2-4k above what mine is at with 4.10s (soon ill be driving with 4.56s hopefully by next weekend)

nice location on the buttons, never thought about that, i might have to try that since my front locker button is where everybody elses is.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM

I actually wanted to start a new thread with gearing/RPM info, but since I see some here, I'll contribute.

4.88's - BFG AT 285s - Auto trans - 1997

[edit for GPS mph readings in liu of pics]

60.0mph @ 2250rpm
70.5mph @ 2600rpm
76.5mph @ 2800rpm

Last edited by toy_tek; 10-04-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM

i do way too much highway driving for that to be okay with me, perhaps if i towed every day i could deal with it, but i dont...

can you check the speed with your gps?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 111db

For front and rear ARB's and gearing I think the tally was around $2200. Since I hadn't added it up before that kinda hurts to see in print. I'm in the process of doing the compressor install myself, had the gears/lockers set up in the rear and bought a used built front diff.

My install thread is >here<
You told me you did 4.88's cause you were a big sissy and scared of the 4.56's

Aaron
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 PM

I tow frequently and I figure when I'm highway driving I usually have a full load. This gearing should help on the hills, slow or fast. I'll check with the GPS this week.

Quick Reply: FINALLY! new gears and rear locker!