Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A few tech questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few tech questions.....

My front birfields when you look underneath where they attack to the hub look like they might be seaping. Is their a seal or something that is possibly bad? It looks more like Differential fluid than grease or is it normal for them to be a little "wet"?

While my 4runner was on the lift, I put it in 4 wheel drive to see if the front lockers worked becasue i had a feeling they weren't. Well I know the rear is an open diff, so I could grab one tire with my hand and stop it while the other would spin. Did it to the front and the same thing. I thought the fronts were locked so I couldn't do that? Does that mean I have a bad, locker, hub, axle, etc?

Also while on the lift, I checked for some play in the front end. Feels to me like a possible bad wheel bearing on my passenger side, but I just would like to get some other opinions. I can shift the wheel up and down and it feels like it has a good bit of play. Is this normal on a SFA? The other side had some play but not as much. Do these bearings have to be pressed out? All the other suspension parts seemed pretty solid.

It has a slight hessitation. Already replaced plugs, air and fuel filters, and did a little throttle body cleaning.

Virbration problems: Could be caused by the bad wheel bearing as mentioned above, but I feel it more in my ass than the steering wheel. Thinking possible U-Joint? Tires also are feathering in the front, so I rotated the tires and it does drive much better, but still vibrates a good bit. What could be casing the feathering? Once again I suppose could be caused by bad wheel bearing.

Sorry for all the questions, but I an new to this 4 wheel drive thing. Have been working on cars for years but they have all been 2wd and FWD.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need to replace your inner axle seals, i would recommend to get a knuckle rebuild kit and do the whole thing while your in there
from what you say, it sounds like the front has a open diff also
the wheel bearings are probably loose or a trunnion bearing is going out, try tightening the wheel bearings and see if that works
is the truck stock height?, could be a lot of things causing the vibration
Old 02-09-2005, 10:04 PM

Where do I get a rebuild kit? Doesn't sound like something I can get from ole' autozone. Truck is stock height........lowered in the back for some reason .

Last edited by Poopy; 02-09-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Mine seeped like that for the entire 15 years I owned it. Never caused a problem.

Yota fronts were never equipped with a locker, unless a prior owner would have put one in.

Rebuilding the front end as SuperJoe suggests is a great idea - as old as it is it could probably use it.