Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Extending Automatic Transmission Life (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Del
The good news, if there can be, is that it's been like this for over a year and hasn't gotten worse. Still slips in first and won't shift out of first until it's warmed up, but still works fine other than that. I just had to get that out.
Bummer on the hassle!

Check the tranny fluid level, it'll start slipping if it's low. The shop may not have put enough in after they flushed it and the fluid got all up into the torque converter and such.

Also, I dunno about the 2nd gens, but the 3rd gens have a transmission fluid pressure cable who's purpose is to increase the fluid pressure as the TB opens up more. This allows for the tranny to adjust for the increased torque wanting to slip the tranny. If this cable isn't adjusted right, you'll get sloppy shifts.

The cable on the 3rd gen is sitting in a second flange/groove/race/channel on the TB right next to the throttle cable. You adjust it by shifting the cable head back and forth on a bracket. Shifting it one way will decrease pressure, shifting it the other will increase pressure. Once you look at it, it makes sense.

You can't really create "too much" pressure with this adjustment, but overdoing it will cause a case of whiplash when you shift from Neutral to Drive.

The best way to figure out what feels good for you is to adjust it a bit one way, drive it, tweak it the other way and get to know what it's doing.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
Thanks for the info, John. Very informative and well-presented.

Do you happen to know of any shops in the Northwest (specifically Portland or Seattle?) that are trustworthy for VB upgrades?

Mick
I don't know of many shops that do the valve body upgrades period.

-John
Old 04-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

transdude, do you only work on imports?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:54 AM

According to his website, John works on Chrysler, Ford and GM as well...

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog.shtml
Old 04-13-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall

Correct!

-John
Old 04-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Transdude thanks for the good info. What is your opinion on the "life-time fluid" being used in BMWs? My 97 328 BMW started making a squeak when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd at about 80,000 miles. I went ahead and dropped the pans and changed out what I could get out (about 5 quarts) with Mobil 1 ATF but that didn't help the squeak any.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Transdude

Here are some suggestions that will help to extend the life and increase the durability of your automatic transmission.

7) Use a synthetic based fluid- automatic transmission fluid serves many functions. It provides cooling and lubrication, it is the hydraulic fluid that applies the clutches and bands, and it even "drives" the car through the fluidic coupling that occurs in the torque converter.

It stands to reason that a synthetic fluid is much less susceptible to breakdown, a better lubricant, reduces friction and also has the capability of reducing operating temperatures.

-John
John, good information. How would you apply it to my 2004 4runner V-8 4x4. Toyota has eliminated the transmission dipstick, and starting with the 2004 models they are using what they call a WS (world standard) ATF that they say has no equivalent. Toyota states that WS is a lifetime fluid, and it only needs to be changed at 60K mile intervals if you use your vehicle to tow. I have a friend that is a consult to the transmission industry and he has alway told me that the only reason transmission fluid ever needs to be changed is if it gets over heated which causes deterioration. Sounds to me like Toyota wants to keep this new 5 speed auto sealed and they feel that this new WS fluid is good enough to last. At this point since I don't tow but still want to be conservative I'm planning on doing the transmission service at 50K miles which gives me 10K more miles of warranty after the service and then I'll be trading it at 90K anyway so I will never know how long they can go on this new fluid.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:59 PM

Hey Transdude.....

My son had his AT Temp light come on in his '90 4Runner a while back. We checked the fluid level and noticed it was low, so we topped it off and let the truck cool down. Long story short, we had to stop and cool many times on the way home. Since then we have changed the fluid and filter in both the tranny and xfer case and the light still comes on after driving for a while.

When the light comes on, we check the fluid level and it's fine. Also, the fluid does not burn us if we wipe the dipstick with our fingers.

Is it possible that the temp sensor is bad? Can you give us some advice on what to look for before we take it to a shop?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Del

Yea the fluid level is fine *sigh*
Old 04-13-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Del
Yea the fluid level is fine *sigh*
Hmmm... and the kickdown cable? I think the proper adjustment is to have "the left edge of the bead" exposed from the cable-end sheath by about 3/8" (on a 96, you may be different). That'll make sense when you look at it.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall

thanks, i browsed the site and missed it

i guess ill be sending the vb outta my impala ss to you john
Old 04-14-2004, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pitbull
John, good information. How would you apply it to my 2004 4runner V-8 4x4. Toyota has eliminated the transmission dipstick, and starting with the 2004 models they are using what they call a WS (world standard) ATF that they say has no equivalent. Toyota states that WS is a lifetime fluid, and it only needs to be changed at 60K mile intervals if you use your vehicle to tow. I have a friend that is a consult to the transmission industry and he has alway told me that the only reason transmission fluid ever needs to be changed is if it gets over heated which causes deterioration. Sounds to me like Toyota wants to keep this new 5 speed auto sealed and they feel that this new WS fluid is good enough to last. At this point since I don't tow but still want to be conservative I'm planning on doing the transmission service at 50K miles which gives me 10K more miles of warranty after the service and then I'll be trading it at 90K anyway so I will never know how long they can go on this new fluid.
I disagree that trans fluid never goes bad unless it's overheated, it also picks up debris from normal trans operation and that needs to be removed from time to time.

Regarding lifetime fill oils, Dex III was supposed to be that- 100000 mile fluid. Unfortunately, GM was putting it in 70000 mile transmissions

As with any synthetic oil like WS, the service intervals can be extended, but I feel maintenance should still be performed, regardless of the OEM's recommended service interval.

-John
Old 04-14-2004, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by jmutto
Hey Transdude.....

My son had his AT Temp light come on in his '90 4Runner a while back. We checked the fluid level and noticed it was low, so we topped it off and let the truck cool down. Long story short, we had to stop and cool many times on the way home. Since then we have changed the fluid and filter in both the tranny and xfer case and the light still comes on after driving for a while.

When the light comes on, we check the fluid level and it's fine. Also, the fluid does not burn us if we wipe the dipstick with our fingers.

Is it possible that the temp sensor is bad? Can you give us some advice on what to look for before we take it to a shop?

Thanks for the help.
Try to quantify the temperature with an external source. If it is overheating, there are a variety of valve body issues that we have addressed that will correct this and other problems.

If the temp sensor is bad, it is not difficult to change.

Also, transmissions can also overheat if the converter clutch isn't applying (usually an electrical situation).

-John
Old 04-14-2004, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Transdude
I disagree that trans fluid never goes bad unless it's overheated, it also picks up debris from normal trans operation and that needs to be removed from time to time.

Regarding lifetime fill oils, Dex III was supposed to be that- 100000 mile fluid. Unfortunately, GM was putting it in 70000 mile transmissions

As with any synthetic oil like WS, the service intervals can be extended, but I feel maintenance should still be performed, regardless of the OEM's recommended service interval.

-John
Thanks John your response sounds logical. If Toyota is recommending 60K mile transmission service with my 4runner for severe service do you think a 50K miles service would then be conservative enough? I hate to abuse the equipment even though I will be trading at 90K and won't be anywhere near putting by 4runner through severe service during my ownership. It is great getting to hear from someone that is specialized and has your experience.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:58 PM

I bought the TRD tranny cooler for my 2000 4runner. Anyone know what size of in-line tranny filter I need to buy? The sizes for the tubing are the following: 3/8, 5/16, 1/2 inch
Old 04-15-2004, 11:32 PM

Transdude,

Opinions on factory trans coolers? i.e. tow package coolers.

(I have a first gen 4Runner V6 AT - if that helps with anything..?)

Just curious as to whether you think these are adequate enough in an 4x4 setting. That is, crawling downhill in 4low and in 1st gear... for a long distance.

And thank you for your original post. I found it quite informative in addition to being 'cool.'

No pun intended.

_-_
Old 04-16-2004, 08:09 AM

Transdude,
I have a 97 4-runner V6, 4WD and just put a BM trans cooler and temp guage. What should the temp be normal and at what temp do I need to slow down or pull over?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldguy
Transdude,
I have a 97 4-runner V6, 4WD and just put a BM trans cooler and temp guage. What should the temp be normal and at what temp do I need to slow down or pull over?
With that cooler you shouldn't need to pull over to let it cool down unless something is grossly wrong with the trans.

Ideally, you should see trans temps between 150 - 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

-John
Old 04-16-2004, 11:32 AM

Very informative post. I just learned a lot of stuff reading this thread.. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:12 PM

"With that cooler you shouldn't need to pull over to let it cool down unless something is grossly wrong with the trans.

Ideally, you should see trans temps between 150 - 200 degrees Fahrenheit."

So anything below 200 degrees is OK and if it gets over that there is a problem? It has been running around 120 degrees. I was pulling a small trailer up a hill and the temp went up to 140 degrees.

Thanks, Larry

Last edited by oldguy; 04-16-2004 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Extending Automatic Transmission Life (Long)