Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine hiccups and shut off on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner 3.4 5vz Engine hiccups and shut off on me

Hey guys, new to the forums here. Was wondering If anybody could help me out with some issues I've been dealing with on my 3rd gen, yes it's a 5vz and I just changed the spark plugs and recently installed NGK cables as well. Truck runs very smoothly at idle but when I get on the throttle here and there it starts to hiccup and even to the point where the engine just shuts off completely! But when I go to turn it back on it starts right up and I drive away fine. It's happened to me about 10 times now and I thought it would stop when I changed the spark plugs (which were in horrible shape) that the issues would stop occurring. Then I ended up replacing igniter from my buddies wrecked 3rd gen, If you guys have any tips on what it could be and what I would need to replace please let me know. Thank you!

Last edited by t4rmatt97; 07-25-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Questions for you...by the way welcome (!),

-What spark plugs did you replace with?
-Are the plug wires installed to their correct cylinders? One wrong switch up is all it takes.
-Igniter? You mean ignition coil? Able to check if it's actually viable still?
-Check engine lights? If so, able to pull the codes?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
Questions for you...by the way welcome (!),

-What spark plugs did you replace with?
-Are the plug wires installed to their correct cylinders? One wrong switch up is all it takes.
-Igniter? You mean ignition coil? Able to check if it's actually viable still?
-Check engine lights? If so, able to pull the codes?

I replaced with factory denso spark plugs, yes they are installed into their correct cylinders. No I meant I replaced igniter module (check engine light came on for that once)
and no I haven't received a check engine light for these occurrences.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM

Give some additional details to your story, like how it drove before things were changed. What did the old plugs look like, as that can tell you where to start troubleshooting. Any other details like what else had been done for maintenance/service would be helpful. At least the install part is cleared up.

Hopefully this gets figured out.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Give some additional details to your story, like how it drove before things were changed. What did the old plugs look like, as that can tell you where to start troubleshooting. Any other details like what else had been done for maintenance/service would be helpful. At least the install part is cleared up.

Hopefully this gets figured out.
the old plugs looked horrible, 1 of which on the ceramic turned brown above the threads and the others were just very old and needed to be replaced, other than the igniter module, spark plug cables and a new fuel filter that's what I've done to it since I bought it in march. Previous owner took care of head gaskets, new injectors and timing belt before I bought it
Old 07-25-2017, 05:57 PM

Good read on similar cases from over 10yrs ago:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/proble...9-4runner.html

Might provide a clue as to what could be causing your troubles. Maintenance is key. Plugs, wires, and much much more.

Assume yours is an automatic trans?

Eager to hear what your story is...best of luck.

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 07-25-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 PM

Another mysterious read:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/ar...p/t-63599.html

...could be electrical (as in short in fuel component wiring or even loose or failing crank/cam shaft sensors...think vibration and age on wiring or damage during timing belt service).

As I remind, take what you read with a grain of salt, but see if that makes sense for you. The fact that there was a history of replacing head gaskets is also a clue. You can do a compression test to see if the replacement went well. Though I would think you would already have a check engine light by then...

Anything else I find, I'll link.

Any other driving issues or history?

May want to consider an alternate vehicle to avoid a costly/tragic mistake that once made, can't be undone. I re-read that you experienced this 10 times already....(!!) remember you only got 1 life. Don't risk the chances of driving through when you need to stop or need to accelerate when your life and others are at stake. Just cautionary tips, buddy.

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 07-25-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 PM

This link may help you (and others). Similiar stories, some new, but the solutions are out there.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...t-down-me.html
Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 PM

This link may help you (and others). Similiar stories, some new, but the solutions are out there.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...t-down-me.html
thank you very much for all your help, I was able to find the problem after my check engine light finally came on and it was the crank position sensor, truck has been running great ever since I got that all taken care of, thank you again your help was much appreciated!
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 PM

Another good reason to join YT.

And the credit goes to the YT members who've been helping others before me. I learned from reading what they put out and I started making sense out of it. So on behalf of them, you're welcome. Thank heaven for that CEL, or as some call it, the 'idiot light.' At times, we're all scratching our heads without it.