95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Electrical questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electrical questions

Hey folks,

I've got a fair amount of electrical related stuff coming up, and I need to get some tools.

I am planning on replacing the factory stereo with a single DIN stereo (probably an Alpine CDA 9807) and a CB (Cobra 18 WX ST II )

I also need to troubleshoot a problem with my 12VDC outlet (stock)

And then I want to mount a permanent inverter. I'm still thinking about whether I want to put in a secondary fuse box/fused distribution block (Darn you Bob!)

So the questions part.

1. I need to pick up multimeter. Any particular specs I need to look for? I'm not looking for a $1,000 Fluke; more the <$100 guys. Do I need more than a 10 Amp model for this? Exotec has a 20A model that looks good, but it has more stuff than I need.

2. I can't find a local CB shop (Sacramento, CA), nor even a well stocked truck stop. Anyone know of an online shop that will do a "tune-up" before shipping? I know I've seen one listed here before, but the Mighty Blinking Green button didn't lead me to enlightment.

3. Anyone ever build in a circuit for their "always on" devices with a shutoff if the electrical system voltage drops below 10V? I like the idea of having some stuff able to run off the battery with the engine off, but I'd like to have a fail-safe to keep me from inadvertantly draining the battery below starting level. (Yeah, I could do a dual battery setup, but I'm not quite ready for that one just yet. Soon...)

4. Any reasons on why people who start with a hood-channel mount for their antenna move it out to their ARB/TJM bumper? I have the TJM T-15; just wondering whether I should skip the hood channel and go straight out to the bumper!

Thanks for any advice or abuse...

Last edited by Scottiac; 10-31-2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
#2, try the place that hotrodded my CB.
I'm pushing 25 watts, not 4 as in stock.
Perhaps he can ship one.

#4. Because it just looks bad ass out on the bumper
Old 10-31-2003, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2. CB's can't really be *pre-tuned* Because the tuning is decided by so many factors (ie. where the antenna is placed, how the coax is placed) Even if they say it's pre-tuned, doesn't mean it's actually tuned for your vehicle.

Read this

I would say read around the firestik site, as they have TONS of important info so you don't fry your cb or whatever.

4. I have the hood mount, and if I had a tjm I would move it to the bumper for a few reasons:
a) I didn't put some kind of felt padding on the mount, so it has scratched the side of my hood when opening/closing
b) I bought a spring so there was more flexability to the antenna when going under low brush. But when going up and down humps or rocks, the antenna swings back and forth, back and forth, almost hitting my windshield.

However, I do love the look of it, which is why I got it in the first place.

here's a good comparison pic of tjm mounted and hood mounted:

Old 10-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Regarding #2, I was actually looking for the Corey-type answer there. I've read the Firestik site cover to cover a couple dozen times, actually!

But that reminds me... Gotta go pick up a SWR meter too. What fun!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-31-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Scottiac,

I also need to troubleshoot a problem with my 12VDC outlet (stock)
This might be your answer: the inner metal blades inside your 12v accessory plug are probably bowed outwards from use. They are supposed to be bowed inwards so as to make contact w/ your accessory plug (whatever that is...prolly a cell phone recharger).

Remove the center radio panel, and then unplug and remove the 12v plug. Then w/ a small screwdriver, bow the contact points inwards.

3. Anyone ever build in a circuit for their "always on" devices with a shutoff if the electrical system voltage drops below 10V?
Is this what you are looking for?
http://4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/chargeguard/

As for the hood channel, I didn't like mine b/c it scratched off the paint in a small area. Also, it looked dorky (IMHO---no flames, please). Third, there is no way you can drive freeway speeds w/ that bad boy on w/o the antenna flailing in the wind. Scares other motorists when they see it! Finally, the sheet metal screws will require you to constantly retighten them.

I'd just go ahead and put it on the bumper. Its more solid too.

Bob
Old 10-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Bob,

You rock! That was pretty much exactly what I was thinking of. Well, about five times better than I was thinking of, but that's all right!

By the way, this is all your fault. Couldn't you just do crappy write-ups for a while? You're going to cost me a fortune!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got me a Tenma Model 72-4025 from {EDIT} MCM back in college, still have it and it works good, make sure you get one with a rubber cover/stand if possible, this one comes with one. I think I paid 50 or so bucks for it.

Tenma Model No. 72-4025
Data Sheet .pdf
MCM $39.95

Last edited by keisur; 10-31-2003 at 01:08 PM.