Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

electrical: help w/ window problem

Old 04-21-2008, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical: help w/ window problem

okay, so ive been having this issue for over a year now, but finally decided to fix it. anyway, on my 97 4runner, front windows:
driver side pw switch: i can put the passenger window down, but not up
passenger side pw switch: i can put the passenger window up, but not down

so, to open my windows, i have to reach over and open my passenger one with that switch. whats going on here? bad relay or something? possibly just a bad connection somewhere? where should i look first to try and drill this down? thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Its possible that the switch is bad, seems a stretch that you have two seperate failures for the same window, but I would check the switch itself. If you have access to a wrecking yard, I would see if you can get the door switch for the passenger side. Swap the switch out and see what happens. If the window works normally from the passenger side, then that tells you the driver door switch on the main switch control is also bad. If you have the doors apart already then a switch swap would be a very easy item to change out. Its worth a try.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 AM

How 'bout using the drivers window switch to check? Disconnect the wiring from the passenger window switch and driver's window switch in the driver's door and swapping the connections? Should work...right?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 AM

TRT- the connections to the sets of switches are different. the drivers side has a big harness to control locks, windows, and mirrors. the passenger side is just locks and window, so it wont work.

anyone else got input?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Relays are always a good spot to start checking for problems when you've got a wierd problem like that.

Does either one make a clicking sound when you push the switch and it doesn't move?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 AM

no sounds that i can hear....where are the relays located?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 AM

What I meant to say is.... You have a a harness to switches in the driver's door that operates all the windows....driver's, passenger's, rear doors. Swap the connections at that point. I don't have any experience on doing this with the 4Runner, but have done the same on my old BMW to find a problem window switch. If I'm way off base...just back hand me and tell me to shut up....
Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Its possible that the switch is bad, I would check the switch itself. Swap the switch out and see what happens.
I think thats what I said .... Hey if you can get a hold of another switch such as the one from the other passenger door which I assume is working correctly, do a swap of the switches. They literally just pop out. You don't have to disassemble the door to do it. Just disconnect the switch from its connector and plug it in, test it to verify operation and if you isolate the issue, then you know which switch is bad or if there is something else you need to look at. Eliminate the other possibilites as you go and narrow you search to the fianl solution. If you have a local salvage yard, get another passenger switch, they only run about $5-10 and then do a swap to test it for operation. I bought an entire set of door switches for my runner with wood trim for less the $25 at a Yard. Good luck.