Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Elbow Intake mod (alternative to the deckplate)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket
I never removed my stock elbow. Initially, i was going to use what happened to you as one reason why i didn't want a deckplate but it would have made explaining things more complicated. Your current intake mod is nice for deep water crossings but theres simply not enough info given as to how well it increases power, if any, which was one of my main goals.
The reason why I never posted the exact amount of power increase is simple, I never dyno'ed the results. All I know it there is no difference in performance in having the deckplate in or out with the snorkel mod. The O.D. of the ABS pipe is larger than the stock elbow, which allows more airflow.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
....but some of your statements in here are not correct (I won't go through them, but A-D leave a bit to be desired).
I disagree. I spent MANY hours researching the deckplate mod and air intake systems which included other forums, asking questions, and reading a book about air intake/turbos. A-D are my ascertains.
I'm not going to reitterate the points Bob made,....
well Bobs points are basically wrong. What he said does not apply. (but i still love him).
but I will say this......every now and then someone comes up with something that everyone else missed and beats the status quo, but I don't think that is true in this case.
Thats ok, the bottom line is that it works and like i said before, it works great.
How did you calculate 70% increased airflow (CF/min?), on a flowbench?
Common sense.

Last edited by rocket; 09-25-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
He still has the stock elbow, he bought a used one and used that.
yup.
Originally Posted by Ric
how about changing the headlight bulb? looks a little tight now, awesome job on the write up.
thanks Ric. I can still change the headlight bulb fairly easy...i made sure of that.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have never had to put my deckplate in since I installed it 3 years ago.
This includes the full brunt of canadian winters, dust, water, salt, sand and still no issues.
Others have and still do. Research it for yourself. Some put it in everytime they off road...not only for dust/water but also because they say it "helps" with lower RPMs.
-------------------

A few days ago, i was able to "test" my EI mod against water at a trail called Slaughterhouse.
Since i still have street tires, i was hesitant to make my way through this certain water hole in an area that folks call the "mud pits". This particular hole ranged 1-2 feet deep and was about 15 feet long. I blasted through it and water/mud flew everywhere. The next day i popped my hood and saw a few dirty water spots on my elbow and on *top* of my airbox. The elbow inside was spotless.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Common sense.
I doubt that quite seriously.

I think we can just agree to disagree at this point.....if it works on your truck, then more power to you.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-25-2006 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 AM

Common sense.
I still don't get how you came up with 70% more air flow? Common sense doesn't go very far when it comes to engineering...unless you're a "rocket" scientist.

To design an intake, you can't just go sticking tubes everywhere. Although people say that the OEM design is "restrictive," it took a lot of R&D to make it as effective as possible, without sacrificing safety and emissions. Optimal placement, tapering, turbulence, etc. all play in part to make the whole intake system to work together. If you mess with one component, you might be putting the whole system in jepardy.

I'm not saying that this is true with your mod, because I wasn't involved in it, or your research that you did. Just throwing in my 2 cents. It looks really clean, though.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
I still don't get how you came up with 70% more air flow? Common sense doesn't go very far when it comes to engineering...unless you're a "rocket" scientist.
Funny you mention that....have a gander at my profile.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/members/2548.html

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-25-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i know this post is allitle old but would this mod be better for me than the deck plate mod??

Normal weekend mountain outing...
http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_galle...nceid=34839866
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ETRNL
i know this post is allitle old but would this mod be better for me than the deck plate mod??
No... The elbow mod leaves things open, the deckplate allows you to seal things up much better given that you leave the stock elbow in place.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
No... The elbow mod leaves things open, the deckplate allows you to seal things up much better given that you leave the stock elbow in place.
Ditto......the first pic being a water crossing would rule out the elbow mod right away.
If you are just doing it on a DD that won't see any offroad, then by all means go ahead.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 AM

Well................

Everyone here that has a deckplate mod says they have never really closed it up! So is this just a precaution? I mean if I wanted to I could just cut a four inch hole in my air box and be done with it because im never going to cross water that deep??! I dont plan on going mudding or crossing rivers in my 4runner to the extent where water and mud get sucked up my air intake?!!?!?!?! Maybe the ocasional creek to get to the camp site. Is the deckplate really neccessary??? Oh and why cant you also just take the elbow going into the front fender out and leave a hole on the side too? Thats twice the airflow.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Still dont understand!

I have got an open element intake on my jeep and I go through water,mud,dust and any other hazard and have had no problem! I dont see what all the fuss is about! If you have a good filter and dont drive through a pond I dont see why you would need the deckplate! Plus if you did get deep enough in water to have to put the cap back on then you have also flooded your interior and the elbow that is in the fender with an open entrance has probably sucked up water by now!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by miles97T4rnut
Everyone here that has a deckplate mod says they have never really closed it up!
Ummm, I close mine when I (or Shannon!) remember(s).

So is this just a precaution?
No, I can tell you that there have definitely been times that I wish I HAD closed it.

I dont plan on going mudding or crossing rivers in my 4runner to the extent where water and mud get sucked up my air intake?!!?!?!?! Maybe the ocasional creek to get to the camp site. Is the deckplate really necessary??? Oh and why cant you also just take the elbow going into the front fender out and leave a hole on the side too? Thats twice the airflow.
Was there a sale on punctuation???!!!?!?!?!?!???!!!???!!!!

The elbow mod explained at the top of this thread sounds like it's more for you - or like you say, just pull the elbow out of the fender!!!??!?!??!!!!!??!!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 AM

what?

Im not going to do the elbow mod it doesnt work! Its just as restricting as not having the deckplate. When have you had to cover up your deckplate? Did you read everything else i wrote?:bigclap:
Old 01-23-2007, 09:05 AM

smarta@#$

The fact is if your going through water that deep get a snorkel! The only reason I want to do the deckplate mod is to get more airflow. Not so I can cover it and drive through a lake. Everyone even Bob said that he has never had to cover it! So whats the point its just incase you decide to cross a river? So why cant you just cut a 4"hole in the front of the box and be done with it? Also taking the elbow from the fender and leaving a hole on the side of the box as well.

Last edited by NG Crawler; 01-23-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:24 AM

Wow... you're pleasant to deal with.

Yes, I read what you wrote... My response even quoted where you say that you don't cross anything where you think this will help. I responded in the way that I did because even though you said that, you're trying to make an argument against something that you (seemingly) don't understand.

Just because something doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean that it's not worthy to someone else. Either try to understand its use or get out of the discussion.

There's a method for deep-water crossing that creates a void in front of your bumper. The downside is that water can splash up all over the airbox. If the front of the airbox is open, you just dumped water into it. The standard elbow is up in the fender away from splashing water and at a point that's actually higher than the airbox.

Past that - spending $7 on a deckplate is cheaper than $200 on a snorkel and there's no change in exterior appearance and no 4" hole drilled in a fender..

As for when have _I_ ever covered up my deckplate, well... Around these parts, we get rain, which creates some pretty gosh dern deep puddles - like, up to the floorboards. I've gone through plenty of them - and gotten stuck in one pretty bad once.

A few years ago one of the guys I run with earned the nickname of "SwampThing". We wouldn't have had to pull his plugs on th trail and watch water shoot out of his cylinders if he would have had a stock airbox with a deckplate instead of his K&N cone.

If you don't want to do this to your truck, then don't. Thanks for your opinion though.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

MRunner, I would suggest you do some more reading and get educated before you start calling a very knowledgeable and respected member of YotaTech names. If you HAD done any amount of reading on the subject of deckplates, ISR's or "Elbow mods", you would understand when and when not to do such mods, or when to put in the deckplate. I understood all these things long before I took a Dremel to my airbox. And for the record, I have yet to put mine back in, either, but I sure like having the option!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 AM

Im not trying to be hard to deal with. Sorry

I guess your right but what I wanted to know was can I just cut a big ass hole in the front of the airbox if im not pond hopping? Is the hole in the fr4ont of the airbox going to be a bad choice? Everyone said they havent really used the deckplate. I understand that if I use the deckplate that I can cover it up and its likke it was neve there. But would it be bad if I just cut a big hole in the front of the box?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 AM

There were no names!

No part of me was calling anyone names! The smart ass comment was joking and im on here to learn have fun and joke around! Im not here to cause problems! I have read up on all mods maybe not to the extent you have but im here for learning and fun so dont take everything so serious! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by miles97T4rnut
I guess your right but what I wanted to know was can I just cut a big ass hole in the front of the airbox if im not pond hopping?
Go for it.

Quick Reply: Elbow Intake mod (alternative to the deckplate)