Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

downturn to turnout

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downturn to turnout exhaust

A quick brainstorm for you guys: I want to take out my old, POS exhaust and cat, and replace them with a carsound cat and 50 series Flowmaster (or equivalent magnaflow, I haven't decided). The key is this: I want to put them together as close as possible to each other and to the Y-pipe, with a downturn to turnout, pointing out towards the driver side of the vehicle. I don't mind the smell, and the turnout would actually push the exhaust out and away from my vehicle (in theory, anyway..). Right now my exhaust is cut off right at my stock muffler, so at idle, the exhaust fumes like to collect under my body. I will be doing the work myself, I just want some ideas before I break out the torch. Oh, and headers aren't an option (no money), so I don't need to hear the whole "Downey vs. anybody else" debate.

Last edited by shawnhog; 10-10-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM

That is why I am asking about a turnOUT as well. I already have the fumes filling the cabin, as you've mentioned.. I want the exhaust to get kicked out from under the car in as short a distance from the headers/manifolds as possible. I suppose it really doesn't matter WHERE it spits the fumes out at, as long as it just gets those fumes out! I am fine with exhaust blowing all over my legs every time I get in/out while the engine is running... Basically, I guess I just take a turndown pipe and angle it to about 45 degrees from vertical, so that might work.. That is why I am asking you guys.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

I deleted my previous post^^

Sorry about that, I totally blanked and assumed turndown. Turnout, ok, now you are talking. The only problem I see with that is reduce clearance or the exhaust getting smashed while wheeling. Otherwise I really like the idea.