Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do NOT Buy Toyota's All Season Rubber Mats

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trust me, I babied my mats to no end. Any time I washed the truck, they got thoroughly cleaned too.

I think it's just a defect in this particular style oem rubber mat. I know it's not just mine, as others have experienced this same issue.

Oh well, just another good reason for me to try something else out

Edit:
Just for reference, here's a picture of Darren's Husky liners: Click Me

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-17-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are these so called floor mats? I've got vinyl
Old 10-17-2008, 09:27 PM

My carpet ones are OEM from the dealer and they are about a year old. They have considerable wear from my right heal and most of the time they are covered by the rubber ones too. I am disapointed in the quality of the carpeted ones as well. BTW the edges are fraying too.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:52 AM

I've had my Toyota all weather mats in my '03 Tacoma since I bought the truck brand new. So they are over 5 years old (bought Sep 2003) and mine have no issues. They are a little dirty (I should clean them more often), but they are still like new condition as far as wear.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Toyvana
I love my Husky Liners. Full sets in both my Pick-Up and 4Runner for years.

OEM > aftermarket EXCEPT when it comes to floor mats. Husky Liners are the best!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM

I've got some backseat black Husky liners for a 96-02 4Runner, PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:09 AM

Husky mats are the best

had some in my 4runner from day 2 till now, starting
in 1998

10 years on mine, over 155,000 miles, driver
heel area is barely showing wear. the rest looks
about new. they do not let you down
Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My mom got a set for her '07 4Runner the same day she bought it. They still look fine.

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Trust me, I babied my mats to no end. Any time I washed the truck, they got thoroughly cleaned too.
This caught my attention. I know that, with the ribbed-style rubber mats, rips like in your pics are common. BUt, what do you use to clean them? Many kinds of caustic degreasers have been known to prematurely dry rot rubber mats, tires, etc..
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nix4x4
BUt, what do you use to clean them? Many kinds of caustic degreasers have been known to prematurely dry rot rubber mats, tires, etc..
Just light soap and water...nothing abrasive.

Most times the debris was not caked on, so I just wiped them down with a clean cloth. Other times, I just shook them out.

IMO, the ribs tore b/c of the constant pressure I apply to them from getting in and out of the vehicle. Just guessing though...

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-19-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM

I have Husky's up front and Weathertech in the rear and cargo. The Weathertech is far nicer and better quality but a bit more $$$. If I had to do it all over again-I would go for Weathertech in the front. However, I don't think they had them designed at the time. Now they do.

You are paying for the cool Toyota name. Remember-the quality of our rigs and what Toyotas built today is far different.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Dude that sucks that they fell apart on you like that!

You will probably notice a lot of rubber products do not hold up like the used to. It is like they dry out over time and crack...Example: I have an old pair of fishing waders that are over 35 years old and are still in great shape (unfortunately they no longer fit). I have owned two newer pairs over a couple of years and they cracked and fell apart. I now just wear sandals when fly fishing!

As for the Husky Liners, I have them in my 2000 4Runner, 2005 Sequoia and in the front of my Jeep. The ones on the 4Runner were bought when it was 2 months old and they still look great. They saved me one time when I accidently hit the window button on the remote and it rained all day. The cargo mat caught all of the rain and none of it got on the carpet.....I would say about 2-3 gallons.

My Uncle bought a 2000 Land Cruiser and it came with a Husky Cargo liner from the dealer.

When we bought the Sequoia I made the dealer give me credit for the carpet mats and we got the Husky liners the day we bought the car. We have TRIPLETS and let me say they are definitely kid proof...that should say it all!

I love them in snow, ice, and mud....my carpet looks brand new.

I just rinse the off with the hose and go....Some have said the weather techs are a little nicer, but for the price I love the Huskies and they get the job done.

Sorry Rock Slide, I just sold a cargo mat on ebay (the one out of my Dad's 4Runner....he traded up to a Land Cruiser)...I could have made you a good deal!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Doc. I hate to see them go too, but at least it gives me a good reason to step up to a better quality set of mats.

No worries on the rear cargo mat...I already have one of those (plus half of another). Both are oem, but the quality is much better than the floor mats. They show no sign of wear and get used a LOT.

If you're curious what I'm doing with 1 & 1/2 cargo mats, check out Post #8 of this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/...2-sport-90509/
Old 11-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
If you're curious what I'm doing with 1 & 1/2 cargo mats, check out Post #8 of this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/...2-sport-90509/
That is awesome....wish I would have thought about that before I sold my spare. I am curious what would happen if you used the wider part at the front...it wouldn't store as easy, but it might cover more...I'm sure you tried that...

That OEM mat in the cargo area looks great....I haven't ever seen one of those.

Later
Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
That is awesome....wish I would have thought about that before I sold my spare. I am curious what would happen if you used the wider part at the front...it wouldn't store as easy, but it might cover more...I'm sure you tried that...

That OEM mat in the cargo area looks great....I haven't ever seen one of those.
Thanks.

Yeah, I tried using the bottom half in the front, but storing it was the main issue. It covered more area, but storing it was a pain. Thus I decided to use the front half of the liner in the front. I gave up a little less coverage, but I gained better "store-ability".

I've used this extension quite a bit hauling lumber, trash, rocks and a variety of other misc stuff that required my rear seats to be folded down.

IMO, the oem rear cargo liners are very stout compared to competitor brands. This is one area they didn't skimp out on quality.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 11-04-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Just as an update to this thread, I've seen photos of both the Husky's and Weather Techs installed in a few different 4Runners belonging to members here. At this moment, I'm leaning towards the WTs. Nothing wrong with the Husky's, I just like the look of the WTs.

To make the decision easier, I plan to order a set of Husky's and a set of WT liners and just try them both out. I'll return the liner that I feel is subpar.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

The only thing I do not like about the WT's is their big fat logo on it....wonder if it can be removed easily.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Doc, I'll let you know when I get around to ordering a pair.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 AM

Sounds like you can't lose with WT's or Husky's. I'd also like to get some that fit better in my Tacoma.

Perhaps you should post the pictures that were sent to you?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:54 PM

Ditto!!!
Weather tech's for me too!! first thing i did after removing the front plate(hate the look) got em for the front, rear and the on for the cargo area too! if i sell the truck they are coming with me to go into the next one.
you get what you pay for. No more or no less.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:22 PM

Pretty surprising that Toyota's OE mats are that poor quality.

Quick Reply: Do NOT Buy Toyota's All Season Rubber Mats