Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Did you get a bigger spare when upsizing your tires?
Yep - 5 of a kind
38.64%
Nope - 4 on the rig are the same, spare is different (but not stock)
12.50%
Nope - 4 on the rig are the same, spare is different (stock spare)
40.91%
No spare - can of Fix-a-Flat, will travel
7.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a bigger spare when upsizing tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooooh, Cabelas. I was to the one in PA back in August. I've ordered from them for years, but that was the first time in a store. There's stores in Kansas City and Owatonna, MN - hope to hit them soon.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:19 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

(5) of a kind for me as I rotate (5) tires. Cost a little more for (5) matching tires/rims, but you get longer tread life and then you don't end up stuck w/ (4) worn out tires and a brand new spare tire.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Yea... the new Cabelas in Wheeling is pretty impressive. Definitely a few wallhangers on display. I was in there for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I'm an avid bow hunter of 20+ years now and have been ordering from Cabelas for years as well. I lived in Nebraska for numerous years and made several trips to Cabelas HQ in Sydney, NE and the smaller store in Kearney.

Having one a few hours away in Wheeling will make in REALLY easy to pickup the little things w/o needing to pay shipping.

Aww... Look -n- Listen. Haven't been in there for years. Back in my late teens/early 20's I spent a few nickles in there. Did they have any damage from the flood of Huriicane Ivan?? Fulton area got hit pretty hard.

[hijack]Edit:
Oops. Sorry. I'll quit hijacking now...
[/hijack]

Last edited by hillbilly; 10-20-2004 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
you can fit a 315/75/16 (35") under there with some modification.
HOJU fit his 315/75/16 under his 3rd gen. I am not sure exactly what he did, but it fit.

I still have my stock and unused goodyear 265/70/16 under there.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Make sure they are the same size trust me!!

Please make sure your spare is the same size if possible and I will tell you why! My stock spare was a 225/75/15 and I had 31" BFG on my truck the last time around. Well while wheeling in WV I hit a nice shale pit and ripped a side wall to death, I never put much thought into my spare till this point! I put my little spare on and limped home. I called the local tire shop and they had to order me a replacement tire so I drove around for about 400 miles with this little spare on the back, through mud, snow. Well I got quite stuck in the snow one afternoon since my spare was on the passenger side rear I spun it for a while before getting out to lock the hubs in. I was on my way to a meeting and didn’t want to get covered in mud and snow! Anyway my rear end started making a terrible winding sound that got worse and worse. I later found out that I may have ruined a bearing in there because of the diameter difference between my spare and the other rear tire. I changed the rear diff fluid and it was thick and full of metal! Having known this would do this much damage I would have limped off of the trail and moved my front wheel to the back and put the small spare up front and just ran with my hubs un locked till I got my new tire! Another buddy of mine has a Mazda Miata with a Torsen LSD in the rear he did the same thing, you cant take a 17” wheel off one side and put a 12” donut spare on and drive at 75mph for the last 200 miles of a road trip, he too found out the hard way that this will chew the crap out of a diff.. Just my .02!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

I heard its better to swap the spare to the front if you really need to use it, is that true? Im gonna use one of my worn tires when I get new ones as a spare, then I wont have nightmares of blowing a tire on the trails.... But that wont be awhile till I save up for my gear upgrade first
Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
(5) of a kind for me as I rotate (5) tires. Cost a little more for (5) matching tires/rims, but you get longer tread life and then you don't end up stuck w/ (4) worn out tires and a brand new spare tire.

?!!!? I thought radials needed to always run in the same direction, ie once a tire is on the left side it needs to stay on the left. Plz let me know if I'm wrong here, I'll be doing what you are, once I find a 5th matching rim.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
?!!!? I thought radials needed to always run in the same direction, ie once a tire is on the left side it needs to stay on the left. Plz let me know if I'm wrong here, I'll be doing what you are, once I find a 5th matching rim.
You mean directional tires?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cabbage
You mean directional tires?
Naw, I remember learning that radials 'get used' to being run one way, and if you switch sides of the car they are now rotating the other way & fall apart.

Found this on the AAA site, says that was on the old 70's vintage radials, and is no longer a prob.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TDiddy
Ooooh, Cabelas. I was to the one in PA back in August.
Where's the one in PA? Is there one out by Harrisburg I think?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation cabellas

Yeah it’s actually about an hour or so from Harrisburg at Port Clinton PA, about 10 miles from the Yuengling brewery in Pottsville a must stop if your in that area! I bought my Triumph motorcycle at Hermys BMW/Triumph after the brew tour, a little liquid persuasion if you will!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:17 AM

Doesn't Sonoran make a heavy duty rear bumper that will support up to a 35" tire? I remember reading something about that in the "Vender Advertising" section, but I could be mistaken.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:39 AM

33s with a stock 225 spare. Gotta love it...

Once I figure out how to get a fullsize spare on or under my Runner, I'll definitely pick one up. Until then... dunno...
Old 10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

new radials

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
Naw, I remember learning that radials 'get used' to being run one way, and if you switch sides of the car they are now rotating the other way & fall apart.

Found this on the AAA site, says that was on the old 70's vintage radials, and is no longer a prob.
the 'new radials' can be rotated like the old bias ply tires. just follow your favourite rotation pattern and you should be fine. the directional tires are usually found on hp sports cars and now trucks (viper powered ram!) etc. those tires are designed to run in one direction only, you can tell by the little arrows moulded into the sidewall and they usually have the highest speed rating, i cant remember what it is though!

lee
Old 10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation hehe

Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
33s with a stock 225 spare. Gotta love it...

Once I figure out how to get a fullsize spare on or under my Runner, I'll definitely pick one up. Until then... dunno...
do you have manual hubs? if so and you get a flat rear put your spare on the front, unlock the hubs and run your 33 on the rear, if you dont have manual hubs I would not drive far or fast at all! Trust me on this one!!!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Haniblectre
Doesn't Sonoran make a heavy duty rear bumper that will support up to a 35" tire? I remember reading something about that in the "Vender Advertising" section, but I could be mistaken.
You are mistaken. Sonoran Steel no longer endorses using a swing away tirre carrier due to spindle breakage.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
You are mistaken. Sonoran Steel no longer endorses using a swing away tirre carrier due to spindle breakage.
I think he means that the 35" will fit Underneath, because the bumper has more clearance.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:23 PM

I have 32s with a stock spare, I hate it. More than anything it's just lack of funds to do it right.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

I've got the same size spare, but only because my winter rims have the same size tire. When the snow flys I swap them around, now that I have a swing arm tire carrier I might throw the original on the carrier with the cover and the matching size I'm runnig in the back.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by gapguy
I think he means that the 35" will fit Underneath, because the bumper has more clearance.
Exactly.

Quick Reply: Did you get a bigger spare when upsizing tires?