Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deckplate mod does nothing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10? its more like 10 a sticker!

Ive heard good things about both the isr and the deck plate, but it sounds like only some are impressed with either.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Only the TRD stickers give Toyotas the magic 10hp and I have one on each side.

Name:  toyBB1.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  13.1 KB
Old 07-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

YotaTech stickers increase wheel travel by 3 inches.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
YotaTech stickers increase wheel travel by 3 inches.
Maybe that is why my rig feels higher.
I blame the sticker.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does nothing to performance, ISR or deckplate only make your intake sound like it came off of a 69 Charger. you want performance just get a bigger engine or run straight off the headers as i do, THAT gives you some amazing results. Contrary to popular belief, BACK PRESSURE IS A MYTH. For 2 YEARS i have run with no restrictions on my exhaust just off the headers and the difference in power is astounding.

I just smoked a SRT4 turbo with no rear locker on the track. Add that to the 3000GT twin turbo and Datsun 240. Do not underestimate 3VZ-E, just take care of it.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
edit: If you check the gadget link above you will see that the deckplate mod actually does yield a measurable increase in performance.
if someone can find a filter that compares to that old wet amsoil TS i'd go that route again--haven't found one that matches up yet. that's where my 94 really picked up response, more so than the airbox mod.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:51 PM

I know the deckplate and ISR haters come out of the woodwork for threads like these despite the evidence to the contrary. It's almost as hot as the oil wars.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Parker Runner
I know the deckplate and ISR haters come out of the woodwork for threads like these despite the evidence to the contrary. It's almost as hot as the oil wars.
A dyno that reads +/- 10hp between runs is evidence? Dynos were never meant to measure minute differences, especially fractions of a HP as you mention in your earlier post. It's like using a bathroom scale to do science experiments.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

But we've seen more than one dyno showing at least a 6whp gain and I was present for 2 dyno runs from a couple of Tacos that produced 6-10whp. Of course minute diffs aren't accurate but it is proven opening a hole in the airbox does produce positive results so in the eyes of many it's worthy mod to do since it is so cheap and makes more sense than adding a $200-300 intake.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
But we've seen more than one dyno showing at least a 6whp gain and I was present for 2 dyno runs from a couple of Tacos that produced 6-10whp.
This goes both against logic, and very scientific methods I applied to my 4Runner.

1. There is very little economical sense for Toyota to put on a physically restrictive intake, as plastic is cheap, and space under the hood is plentiful. It is not logical, considering how much emphasis is placed on power in the US market. If they could so easily get crank HP up by 10, they would have surely done it, as rated power is a very serious selling point.

2. From what I tested on my 4Runner (can't speak for Tacos) there is no benefit to the deckplace mod, as there is no vacuum present prior to the air filter. This is positive, conclusive and final proof that no matter how many deckplates are put in, there will be no improvement in volumetric efficiency of the engine, and therefore no power gain whatsoever.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ I agree.... I think the only thing you can really do to improve volumetric air flow, is to A) k&n or similar, filter, or
B) run ur intake to the hood or grill, and make it "ram" air....and even then, it will only help at higher speeds.

That being said.... it dont matter how much air you can pull into the motor, if you dont do anything to increase exhaust flow.... IMO the exhaust is the restrictive part of these engines.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Well,like I said it's such a cheap mod and it doesn't have a negative side effect so it's not a big deal to do it so it's not like the mod will go away no matter how much disproving one can do. I personally haven't seen any power or MPG gains but I do get a snappier throttle response and in a drag race my 4Runner is a tad quicker than my mom's '99 Limited in the 1/4 (and in all 4 runs I made against my brother) and my 4Runner has 50,000 more miles and bigger tires but I can't say the hole-in-the-airbox is winning it for me.

On the flipside I've seen no negatives from the deckplate and my MPGs are currently 17-19mpg city with my bigger tires,rack up top and I have a leadfoot. In winter those MPGs drop to a more consistent 16mpg.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wondering what your methods were in testing to find there was no vacuum?

In vacuum, you just mean a negative pressure, or a pressure lower that atm right? What pressure difference in considered negligible?

In saying there is no vacuum in the pre filter means that the intake is not struggling for extra air volume, if it was, there would be a presence of a negative pressure?

What kind of air filter are you running? You should try (since I dont have a pressure meter) with a "high flow" filter (if they are indeed high flow?).

Interesting though... but would you still possibly accept there would be a margin of error with experimentation?

I never did feel an increase in mpg or power...but, it sounded like a good idea at the time....

Not arguing your methods or findings, just wondering more about it !

Last edited by BajaRunner; 07-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 AM

1. They wanted a quiet intake for soccer moms.
2. For full power, it required a very large and loud intake that would have put off the soccer moms.

Sorry, don't buy the "deckplate/elbow/better intake makes no difference" line.

It does, I felt it and it works.

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
This goes both against logic, and very scientific methods I applied to my 4Runner.

1. There is very little economical sense for Toyota to put on a physically restrictive intake, as plastic is cheap, and space under the hood is plentiful. It is not logical, considering how much emphasis is placed on power in the US market. If they could so easily get crank HP up by 10, they would have surely done it, as rated power is a very serious selling point.

2. From what I tested on my 4Runner (can't speak for Tacos) there is no benefit to the deckplace mod, as there is no vacuum present prior to the air filter. This is positive, conclusive and final proof that no matter how many deckplates are put in, there will be no improvement in volumetric efficiency of the engine, and therefore no power gain whatsoever.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Something else to consider is that a deckplate or cone filter moded intake is more maintenance intensive then a stock airbox set up and lets face it the average joe or jane driver barely remembers to change the oil once in a blue moon. So it would lead to a lot more spurious warranty claims had they gone with the more efficient set up.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Parker Runner
1. They wanted a quiet intake for soccer moms.
2. For full power, it required a very large and loud intake that would have put off the soccer moms. .
Increasing the diameter of the elbow tube that goes into the fender would have no effect on loudness whatsoever, sorry.

SC4Runner, you seem to be genuinely interested, so let me address each point.

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
what your methods were in testing to find there was no vacuum?
I drilled a ¼" hole in the chamber in front of the air filter, and stuck a long rubber hose that went inside the cabin and connected to an HVAC pressure gauge, that was sitting in the passenger seat.

In vacuum, you just mean a negative pressure, or a pressure lower that atm right? What pressure difference in considered negligible?
The purpose of my test was to measure if the pressure dropped below atm, which would indicate there was a restriction before the air filter.

In saying there is no vacuum in the pre filter means that the intake is not struggling for extra air volume, if it was, there would be a presence of a negative pressure?
It is not struggling before the air filter, yes. It is indeed strugling after the filter, as the filter by far is the biggest restrictor in the intake.

What kind of air filter are you running? You should try (since I dont have a pressure meter) with a "high flow" filter (if they are indeed high flow?).
I'm running OEM. There is no doubt in my mind that 'high flow' filters flow much better than stock. Judging by what I saw when I handled the high flow K&Ns in my hands, they would flow at least 2 – 3 times better. But they also looked to be very very poor at actually filtering. The best way to increase air flow is to use bigger filters, such as the round ones. There is no magic to air flow, either increase filtering surface, or sacrifice filtering performance.

Interesting though... but would you still possibly accept there would be a margin of error with experimentation?
The margin of error would be the limits of my gauge, but I can guarantee that it is working properly, and was designed to measure much much much smaller pressures. So the chances of me not noticing even 1/4 psi of vacuum are exactly 0%.

Last edited by DailyDrive; 07-16-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 AM

The deckplate mod worked for my 4Runner.

I keep detailed mileage records and they clearly show a difference after doing this mod.
Power increase? Maybe, maybe not.
Fuel economy benefit? Yes, by about a maximum of 1 mpg.

Driving style plays a significant role too. I know exactly how I want the vehicle to perform and apply enough throttle to achieve that. With the deckplate mod I can apply a little less throttle to achieve the same result, hence, less fuel consumed.

The vacuum gauge needs to be positioned in the intake manifold (after the throttle) and results from multiple points in the rpm range. This is where you will get relevant data, not prior to the air filter.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by techno

The vacuum gauge needs to be positioned in the intake manifold (after the throttle) and results from multiple points in the rpm range. This is where you will get relevant data, not prior to the air filter.
I agree you need to see how much vacuum is in the intake not just seeing nothing at the filter. I can't see how it does not help at all.

Techno...good to see another from Western PA!!!! Not too many of us around.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by techno
The deckplate mod worked for my 4Runner.

I keep detailed mileage records and they clearly show a difference after doing this mod.
Power increase? Maybe, maybe not.
Fuel economy benefit? Yes, by about a maximum of 1 mpg.

Driving style plays a significant role too. I know exactly how I want the vehicle to perform and apply enough throttle to achieve that. With the deckplate mod I can apply a little less throttle to achieve the same result, hence, less fuel consumed.

Bingo.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Someone should submit this to Myth Busters!

Quick Reply: Deckplate mod does nothing