Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

damp carpet

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damp carpet

does anyone else deal with damp carpet under the floor mat on drivers side when its real hot and humid out??....have you ever checked after driving for an hour or 2?? lift up your floormat and feel the carpet....damp??? I'm still using my factory ltd floormats, if I take the mat and throw it in the back of the truck...viola, it stays dry, no damp carpet. what's the deal?? help
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 PM

your feet sweat too much
i have no real advice
Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine get wet too. Mostly the passenger side. I have husky liner mats so its bad. I dont know where the water comes from either
Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that same issue a few years back on my 2001 Dakota, except mine went way beyond damp - it was SOAKED on the passenger's side floor. I'll assume that because you say that this happens when it's hot outside, you're running the A/C.

On the lower p-side firewall, there was a A/C condensation drain tube that SHOULD have been draining DOWN (you know... toward the ground as gravity might dictate). Instead, Chrysler - in their infinate engineering wisdom - positioned the tube facing straight forward. Combining underhood airflow and centrifical force generated by forward motion caused the condensation to make it's way into the cab. Seeing as I spent the majority (all) of my time on the other side of the cab, this went unnoticed for long enough to accumulate at least a quart of water which sat and fermented for who knows how long... effectively destroying my carpet and requiring total replacement. Mentioned: 2-3 months after warranty had expired. Grrrr. Way to go, DC.

Something to look into.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned

No ac
Its not my door seal. And i dont think its leaking from around the window, because its only the lower part thats wet. I will figure it out...someday.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 PM

my yota does it to mine comes from the center of the console benieth the A/C. mine I know is be cause of the condensation. there is a catch under it supposed to catch the water building up, when it gets full it overflows, there is no drain so I made one. . . with my .357. Jk. but I did route a hose to the frame under the truck.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM

its not the a/c because if the floormat is not on the floor it doesn't get wet, otherwise it would get wet either way
Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

A while back, I discovered my carpet would get damp under my driverside floor mat...took me forever to find the cause. Discovered I did not seal up the hole properly in the firewall rubber grommet when I ran some 20 gauge wiring thru it. Every time it rained, water would roll off the hood, into the engine bay, land on my new wiring and travel over it and into the cab of my truck! Enough water came in that every time I lifted up my rubber mats, water beads were always on them.

Fix was to seal up the small hole in the grommet on both the cab side and engine side. Next time it rained, no leaky water.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
A while back, I discovered my carpet would get damp under my driverside floor mat...took me forever to find the cause. Discovered I did not seal up the hole properly in the firewall rubber grommet when I ran some 20 gauge wiring thru it. Every time it rained, water would roll off the hood, into the engine bay, land on my new wiring and travel over it and into the cab of my truck! Enough water came in that every time I lifted up my rubber mats, water beads were always on them.

Fix was to seal up the small hole in the grommet on both the cab side and engine side. Next time it rained, no leaky water.
that's not the problem, rain or no rain, it won't get wet if the floormat is not there' I know the simple solution is no floormat, but I kind of like to protect my carpet
Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

When you say hot and humid outside and wet floor mats I'm thinking 2 things. Evaporator tube is clogged up or the 90 degree bend has either been cut or a rodent has had lunch. Another possibility is the duct is getting condensation on it causing it to drip on the mats themselves. I've had both scenarios this week alone.

Another tech of mine had a Colorado with the blower motor housing itself had condensation causing it to drip water on the passenger side. Never did ask what he did to fix it or if it even could be fixed.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 PM

i think i know what it is!! i had this same situation on my 99 driver side... it was a pain to figure out but i took apart the dash an found that my firewall grommet was torn so water would leak in from rain a carwash or even if i used the wiper blades. if you open your hood on the right side under the brake fluid resivor you will see a hole and a rubber grommet check the condition of it....

i solved my leak with a little bit of foam in a can. the spray one (yellow) an it hasn't leaked since
Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MarcBallz
i think i know what it is!! i had this same situation on my 99 driver side... it was a pain to figure out but i took apart the dash an found that my firewall grommet was torn so water would leak in from rain a carwash or even if i used the wiper blades. if you open your hood on the right side under the brake fluid resivor you will see a hole and a rubber grommet check the condition of it....

i solved my leak with a little bit of foam in a can. the spray one (yellow) an it hasn't leaked since
LOL, read post #8...same thing happened to me a while back. However, the very next post, he stated that the grommet was not the problem.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM

hmm okay i didn't read it, i got a little excited :p hmmm when i ran my 4 gauge, 8 gauge, an another 4 gauge threw that fire wall i had to remove the carpet and i found the rear window washer pipe tube runs threw the driver side and all the way to the back cargo door :o . maybe the pipe is kinked or crushed and leaking . i know that's what i thought when i had my leak that and also the roof rack screws... and driving with out floor-mats is not the answer. there's a leak...
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM

I drove all over the place today and it is hot and humid here in the "other"great white North (MN) any way my floormat was tossed in the back of truck this morning, and as usual ,my carpet is not damp now. so that rules out any evaporator line leaking etc. ........w.t.h.??
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM

are you sure? flip the carpet over an touch the sponge/sound damping material to see if its wet. i know with my leak when i removed the mats it seemed dry afpter a few hours but that wasnt the case. i flipped the carpet an the sponge retained all the water even tho it seemed dry.. idk just a suggestion
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM

duh this is an easy fix, your floor mats are leaking! Sometimes floor mats will leak if the floor mat fluid has not been changed in a while. I would just do a floor mat fluid flush and you should be good. Ask the guys at NAPA, they should be able to help you out with some new fluid.

lol but no i'd be pretty sure it's just the floor mat not allowing the moisture to evaporate and dry up...

Last edited by yotaluver; 08-02-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Rockslide and marcballz (what kind of name is that?? I'm kind of embarrassed to say it) you guys were right, I thought what the heck pull back the carpet and see what i saw, sure enough it was pretty wet but was holding the moisture like a sponge and wasn't getting through to the carpet above, so when my floormat was in place the moisture was trying to evap. and was getting trapped by the rubber backing of the floormat, the so called pro who did my stereo install made it look good to the eye at the grommet, I mean it looked clean and tight, but I decided to pour water on my windshield and watch exactly what happened. sure enough it ran right off in that corner right onto the grommet and wires and traveled inside through the firewall.thanks for the advice guys another "mystery" solved by the "yota gang" I stand corrected
Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by y2kltdsport
Rockslide and marcballz (what kind of name is that?? I'm kind of embarrassed to say it) you guys were right, I thought what the heck pull back the carpet and see what i saw, sure enough it was pretty wet but was holding the moisture like a sponge and wasn't getting through to the carpet above, so when my floormat was in place the moisture was trying to evap. and was getting trapped by the rubber backing of the floormat, the so called pro who did my stereo install made it look good to the eye at the grommet, I mean it looked clean and tight, but I decided to pour water on my windshield and watch exactly what happened. sure enough it ran right off in that corner right onto the grommet and wires and traveled inside through the firewall.thanks for the advice guys another "mystery" solved by the "yota gang" I stand corrected

Ahh good call guys. Thanks for the update, that will be something new to keep in mind on future leak diagnosis for me. In your earlier post you said about throwing the floor mats in the back and the problem went away I did think it was odd but figured I'd put my 2 cents in on the A/C post.

I do often times find when "aftermarket installers" do electrical work they tend to throw common sense out the window. Once had a buddy of mine have an aftermarket amp/speaker installed on his truck. He kept blowing the maxi fuse at the battery. I traced the wire back and found the installer didn't put any protective conduit, tape, or grommet through the fire wall. The sharp and exposed metal they had drilled cut into the power wire. Thank goodness it was fused.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 PM

I have a 96 4runner that I noticed on long trips that the passenger side front floorboard would be wet. Where is the condensor drain located at to figure out if that is what is draining into the cab?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 PM

@y2k I had the same leak an tracked down all pos leaks and found it there, id put a shop fan on it so it can dry all up an than shampoo an dry again to help remove mildew smell.
@ wulfs the evaporation is in the left section in the engine bay. It's right on the fire wall surrounded by a black section. If not turn on the ac and you should see it drip if no drip that's your leak and need to follow it to the inside passenger side in the cab . Should be next to the fan under glove compartment. *hint if you dissasemble the glove comp ya should take apart the fan and clean it out sine your already there.. it tends to get dirty over time

Quick Reply: damp carpet