Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

cvlighthouse's 01 TACO TRD (LIFT, CAB OVER, ETC.) *Lots O Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right now I am looking at a boat to tow behind this whole setup. I'm thinking of a Alumaweld 17' Talon, Am I going to need a supercharger?
Anyone? Do you guys think I can pull it off w/ the cab over camper? Not sure how much the boat weighs w/ trailer, but right now I can do 60 mph in 3rg gear going up steep grades w/ the camper on. I'm thinking the boat will slow it down another 10-20 mph.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
Anyone? Do you guys think I can pull it off w/ the cab over camper? Not sure how much the boat weighs w/ trailer, but right now I can do 60 mph in 3rg gear going up steep grades w/ the camper on. I'm thinking the boat will slow it down another 10-20 mph.
I would try it for a trip or two and see... 60mph isnt too bad.... Regearing wont help too much as it still wont allow you to use 4th probably, and will make you slower at 4.5K in 3rd.

A supercharger would give you a bunch more usable power, but since you will be using it with tremendous loud it would require some other serious upgrades to fuel, and cooling, at least you have a 5spd ... It would probably be a $$ endevour, but make the truck night and day difference

You will certainly want airbags if you add any tongue weight..

Last edited by AH64ID; 06-07-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 AM

Sounds like a plan....

Here are some recent pictures after a wash and wax job. The truck sits a little high in the rear, but as you can see with the camper it levels right out!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:06 PM

I'm now looking into a supercharger. I understand that I will need additional parts to make it run right? Is there a low budget supercharger route?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm now looking into a supercharger. I understand that I will need additional parts to make it run right? Is there a low budget supercharger route?

"Low budget" and "supercharger" dont go together heh. Save the money, do it right the first time, or pay $$$ to replace your engine when it blows prematurely.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
"Low budget" and "supercharger" dont go together heh. Save the money, do it right the first time, or pay $$$ to replace your engine when it blows prematurely.
So what your saying is spend the extre $ on this: http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1230100017

or this: http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518512

Which one?

Any cheaper route? lol
Old 07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Good looking set up! Good lookin girl too! I guess if da' tacos a rockin don't come a nockin'
Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that is taken on top of Bald Mtn. overlooking Shaver lake. I can't wait to get up there with the current set up.
That's cool, my Dad took me camping several times at Shaver lake in the sierra's when I was young, we also took the boat there a few times for water skiing/camping trips. It is a beautiful area, do you have any more pictures of the surrounding area or the lake? That would bring back lots of fishing/water skiing memories. I am assuming we are talking about the same lake, haven't heard of any other Shaver Lakes' in CA.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Joshs98Runner
...do you have any more pictures of the surrounding area or the lake?

Here ya go!

Old 07-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Sweet set-up there..I have a cab over camper on my taco as well..I went with the RevTek 3" leveling kit with long travel ,heavy duty shocks and struts and Firestone Ride-Right AirBags with the in cab pump controller..I can adjust for any road conditions now..I am having the TRD supercharger and the URD 7th injector kit put on next week..Should be about 100HP gain..And lots of low RPM torque..I pull a boat behind and it did slow me down some more..Thats why im bitting the bullet and getting supercharged..

Here is a pic of my setup...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mokai
Sweet set-up there..I have a cab over camper on my taco as well..I went with the RevTek 3" leveling kit with long travel ,heavy duty shocks and struts and Firestone Ride-Right AirBags with the in cab pump controller..I can adjust for any road conditions now..I am having the TRD supercharger and the URD 7th injector kit put on next week..Should be about 100HP gain..And lots of low RPM torque..I pull a boat behind and it did slow me down some more..Thats why im bitting the bullet and getting supercharged..
Sweet setup! I have just bought a supercharger, but I can't install it till I can afford the URD 7th kit. I have my wedding and a trip to South America before that. But after getting married, she said i can buy a boat!

I hope to have the same gains as you (100hp) Keep me posted on how everything goes. Pictures if possible. I'm assuming your having a mechanic install it. I might have to do it on my own to save $.

Firestone air bags are in the future for me too.

What kind and size boat did you pull?

What kind of camper? (looks like a newer 6 pac)

What kind front shocks?

I'm looking at getting these:
5100 fronts Fronts: BE5-D558-TO

I already have the rears.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-04...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by cvlighthouse; 07-30-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM

Thanks, I will keep you posted on the S/C..I am having the dealer put the S/C on and am doing the 7th myself with the help of a friend..Ill take pics allong the way and let you know where the tricky parts are..I hear it is pretty basic though.
My Dad lets me barrow his 15' Smokercraft Alaskan with a 25 HP Mercury 4 stroke..It weighs in at around 1500 pounds with trailer, 2 deepcycle batteries and everything..Its a sweet boat and they are reasonably priced..

The shocks that I have are from a place called Les Schwab Tires and are their best ones they sell..Im sure that one of the big name company's make them and then put their name on them..They are nitrogen charged long travel monotubes..They made a huge difference in the handling with the camper on and they have a lifetime warranty..

The Camper is a custom built job that the guy I bought it from built himself from a set of plans..He is a carpenter and did a sweet job on it..He used all high end materials and conserved weight where he could..It was designed for a Tacoma..It weighs around 800 pounds..I found it on Craig's List and got a hell of a deal on it..

Nice to see another guy with a similar set up..Lets keep in touch as there are not many of us around..

Andrew
Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 AM

Sounds good! I have a friend who lives up near Florence and another near Bend, so I am up in the area a lot. My friend raves about Les Schwab's too! About the S/C, Are you sure you can do the 7th kit with the S/C on the truck. Otherwise I might just do the same and Install the 7th kit in a couple months when I can afford it. My buddy is a lexus mechanic who I think is going to help me.

Did you have to weld on square tubes for the front hold down points?

The design looks like a six pac because of the little overhang on the back roof. And how do those jacks work? they look pretty slim. Thx.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM

When I talked to URD on the phone they said that it was an easy install with the supercharger on the truck..The 7th injector just hooks right on to the S/C intake with a special mount they make that comes with the kit..

The jacks on my camper are not that great..It says right on them to not camp in it while on the jacks..But I dont take it off when I camp anyway so its ok..I would like to get some better jacks some day

I had custom tie down tubes put on..They are small hitch tubes that are pinned so when the camper is off out come the tie down tubes..The fronts are welded to the frame and the rear are welded to the trailer hitch..I felt this was the best option for me..I didn't like the bed mounts that were available..

Let me know the next time you head up this way and we can grab a beer or something and check out each others rigs..

Andrew

Last edited by mokai; 07-30-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mokai
When I talked to URD on the phone they said that it was an easy install with the supercharger on the truck..The 7th injector just hooks right on to the S/C intake with a special mount they make that comes with the kit..

The jacks on my camper are not that great..It says right on them to not camp in it while on the jacks..But I dont take it off when I camp anyway so its ok..I would like to get some better jacks some day

I had custom tie down tubes put on..They are small hitch tubes that are pinned so when the camper is off out come the tie down tubes..The fronts are welded to the frame and the rear are welded to the trailer hitch..I felt this was the best option for me..I didn't like the bed mounts that were available..

Let me know the next time you head up this way and we can grab a beer or something and check out each others rigs..

Andrew

Sounds good. I like beer!

You can see in my picture here and how the camper is connected to my truck: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...n/IMG_2407.jpg
I welded on square tube w/ inserts up front, and buttons w/ special hooks on the bumper in the back.

As for the 7th install, I was confused, For some reason I thought you had to replace all the stock injectors for the 7th kit (Fuel Upgrade Kit does.) I'll take URD's word for it, I don't see the spark plugs or water thermostat being a problem while installing the 7th kit.

I might start my S/C install now and upgrade to the 7th kit later (as others have recommended me not to.)
Old 03-15-2015, 07:42 PM

price?

I've got a silver 01 Tacoma that I'm planning to fix up real soon. I'm trying to get together some prices on it. How much I'm gonna have to fork out to lift it. If you don't mine me asking, how much, not including the truck, did you put into it?