Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CURE NOTCHY SHIFTING! 3rd gen and taco

Old 09-28-2003, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up CURE NOTCHY SHIFTING! 3rd gen and taco

Okay, virtually everyone with a manual notices notchy shifting, especially the 1-2 shift and especially when cold. I've tried Amsoil and Redline MT-90 with some help, BTW Redline is better.
Many people, dealer included, have said that nothing can be done and that this is normal. No one has come up with a suitable solution...UNTIL NOW!

SOLUTION: I overfilled my trans gear oil by about 1/4 quart and instantly noticed silky smooth shifting. TRULY UNBELIEVABLE!! I've used Redline MT-90 since 5K miles and stand by it (I've tried Amsoil but switched back to Redline). The MT-90 seemed to help considerably but the truck never felt as good as it could get. With the overfilled gear oil it truly shifts beautifully.

How to overfill? Simple, all you need is a screwdriver and a funnel. Take off the shift knobs and pop off the surrounding trim, remove the screws holding the metal plate down, take off the shift boots and rubber trim. Underneath you'll see the top of the tranny (and the tranny breather if you've ever wondered where it is). Push down on the metal spring-loaded locking plate at the bottom of the shifter and rotate counter clockwise until it releases. Lift the shifter off and you'll see a hole that leads to the transmission internals. Put the funnel over the hole and pour in about 1/4 quart of gear oil. I've only tried a 1/4 quart, maybe more or less will achieve the same effect.

EASY TO DO, takes only 10 min to take everything off, fill up, and put back together. Then go for a spin and be amazed!!

I first did this about 5K miles ago and haven't noticed any side effects. Just changed my fluids today and reconfirmed the noticable silky smooth improvement that happens ONLY WHEN OVERFILLED. The first shift or two each morning might still be a bit notchy, but once moving I think the higher fluid level circulates oil better where needed for better shifting feel.

Let me know how it works for you!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

which amsoil fluid did you try?

also, i heard that mixing BG Synchroshift with redline makes an awesome mix...

are you sure you're not damaging anything? i mean when they specify a fill amount in the manual, usually it's a good idea to follow it... or maybe not? in any case, the engineers had something in mind when say specified how much to fill it with... and even though it might be smoother somehow with more fluid, it might be causing another problem somewhere else..

just my $.02
Old 09-29-2003, 12:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
While the results might be positive, how sure are you that there won't be any adverse (mechanical) effects?

Bob
Old 09-29-2003, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A bit sketchy but might be ok.
I am sure you couldn't get a toyota engineer to sign off on it but hey....whatever works!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:37 AM

I tried the Series 2000 Amsoil 75W-90, seemed fine but slightly notchier than redline. I would stick with Amsoil if you're happy with it.

I can't say that there won't be any side effects, as always try at your own risk. With that said, with the first gear oil change on my truck (as well as on several tacomas that I've been present for), the tranny is well overfilled and gear oil comes gushing out of the fill hole.
So, Toyota seems to overfill from the factory--also happens that most people only complain of notchy shifting sometime after the first trans fluid change (though this is not always the case). If you're happy with the way your trans feels than DON'T do the overfill. If you think it could be better, I think it's worth a try (you can always unplug the fill hole and drain off the excess if you get worried).
Old 09-29-2003, 01:30 PM

Very interesting idea!

The only thing that I can think of that "might" happen is under certain conditions, gear oil may come out of the breather hole. A situation could occur that if the vehicle were tilted enough, it may leak out of the breather. Granted, that sounds pretty far-fetched. The other situation that may be encountered is that the oil could heat up enough and not have any more room to expand inside the transmission, with the same results: oil coming out of the breather. This may or may not make any difference if it leaks down the side of the transmission, but if it leaked inside the truck, that would be another story.

I'm going to ask my transmission guy about this and see what he says.

I would love to cure notchy shifting on my truck. I do have synthetic oil in the transmission and transfer case, but I didn't really notice a huge difference in shifting.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:53 PM

Does the shift lever seat replacement not work for newer manual trannies???
Old 09-29-2003, 04:49 PM

Interesting and worth trying. A 1/4 of a quart is not going to raise the level of the oil in the transmission by very much.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
That's a good trick for the older trucks with a worn out bushing, I know one person with a 3rd gen 4Runner who replaced his to help after some rough shifting after getting a S/C.

Most of us don't have a worn bushing as the source of the notchiness though. Good thing to keep in mind, and by overfilling you can inspect the shift lever bushing and replace it as well if desired.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:25 PM

A 1/4 quart level increase probably won't have any adverse effect, but the problem with overfilling in general is you will eventually reach a point where the rotating parts will start to whip up the oil and create a froth. When this happens, you will usually get oil blowing out the breather, and possibly the gear shift opening. So, I'm not saying this 'fix' is a bad idea, but I be carefull about adding too much all at once.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:41 AM

any update on this? considering trying it when my Redline arrives in a few days. . .

creed
Old 04-23-2004, 05:24 PM

I did try the MT-90, but I didn't add it myself so I have no extra to top off with. Anyhow the MT-90 does help the shifting, but not as mush as I would have liked. Maybe I should try the extra 1/4 quart thing.
C
Old 04-25-2004, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
I did try the MT-90, but I didn't add it myself so I have no extra to top off with. Anyhow the MT-90 does help the shifting, but not as mush as I would have liked. Maybe I should try the extra 1/4 quart thing.
C

i just did the MT-90 and the overfill trick - it helps the shifting, but didn't cure the problem for me. still takes some effort to get into 1st in the AM, and the 1st to 2nd shift is notchy for the first few shifts.

maybe i need to adjust the clutch pedal travel???

creed
Old 06-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Inspected my auto trans fluid today. It's over the hot mark when cold. I don't recall it being that way before I took it to the dealer before a long trip I made in February. So that means I was driving around with too much fluid all this time. Think it caused any problems? I see no leaks or notice anything wrong except the first shifts in the morning. Either from first to second or second to third takes longer than it would than if it were hot. The dealer said it's supposed to get to operating temp first before it will shift.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
I did mine in my R150 in my '93 and it helped a little. For the cost it is definalely worth a try anyway.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 PM

I have a problem with my '93 4X4 Pickup with 140k and a manual transmission. I have this "notchy" shifting, but I never even thought that any sort of fluid would really help that much. I bought the truck only a few thousand miles ago, so I can only guess what the transmission has seen. The "notchyness" that I feel, I believe it to be the syncros because if I shift very slowly, the "clink" and "notchyness" almost goes away. One of the parts that makes smooth shifting is the syncros, and when they wear down over time, it takes a more accurate, slow shift to rid the "notchyness" and "clink" when shifting.

Does your problem go away if you shift more slowly? Or does it matter at all? It's still notchy if I shift slowly, but it helps a lot and it doesn't make the "clink" noise. Do you think over-filling it with Redline will help?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sunday,

the MT-90 helped me. it was a night and day difference, especially when overfilling. is it 100% perfect? NO. i'd say its about 80 to 90% better. and it was cheap to get that level of improvement.

bob
Old 10-24-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else try this trick?
I'm thinking of doing this as well as changing the plastic shifter bushing and seat in one shot.
Anyone hear of any side-effects of overfilling?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 3.4Runner
I tried the Series 2000 Amsoil 75W-90, seemed fine but slightly notchier than redline. I would stick with Amsoil if you're happy with it.

I can't say that there won't be any side effects, as always try at your own risk. With that said, with the first gear oil change on my truck (as well as on several tacomas that I've been present for), the tranny is well overfilled and gear oil comes gushing out of the fill hole.
So, Toyota seems to overfill from the factory--also happens that most people only complain of notchy shifting sometime after the first trans fluid change (though this is not always the case). If you're happy with the way your trans feels than DON'T do the overfill. If you think it could be better, I think it's worth a try (you can always unplug the fill hole and drain off the excess if you get worried).
Holly Crap!!! You may be exactly right about this. I took my truck in for the 30,000 mile tune up deal and when I got it back the shifting was all notchy. After a new tranny it's still the same. I bet you you're right on this! I think I may have to try this! Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Where are you guys getting your Redline MT-90? There was one store near my house but they stopped carrying it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CURE NOTCHY SHIFTING! 3rd gen and taco