Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

could this be an Alternator Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could this be an Alternator Problem?

Hey guys, my 1996 Limited has this problem where at low idles at like stop lights and and in reverse (slowly) the electrical dies. Basically anytime the car is in drive or reverse with the brake on, my stereo turns off and my lights dim and then the Battery light will flash. The vehicle never actually stops fully but gets dam near close.

This is only on low engine speeds like less than 5MPH, like when I am parking our backing out of a parking space or sitting at a stop sign/light.

Also could this cause my engine check light to go off???

thanks guys!

Joe
Old 07-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: could this be an Alternator Problem?

Originally posted by Joec500
Hey guys, my 1996 Limited has this problem where at low idles at like stop lights and and in reverse (slowly) the electrical dies. Basically anytime the car is in drive or reverse with the brake on, my stereo turns off and my lights dim and then the Battery light will flash. The vehicle never actually stops fully but gets dam near close.
This is only on low engine speeds like less than 5MPH, like when I am parking our backing out of a parking space or sitting at a stop sign/light.
Also could this cause my engine check light to go off???
thanks guys!
Joe
Hey Joe ..... (insert Jimmy Hendrix quote) Yeah I see in your sig you are running HID'S as well as a multimedia setup. I think you are on the right track about your alternator. It's possibly time to upgrade if you have to change it out.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:27 PM

actually this is what happened to my last 4runner

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/joeseekit...tos.yahoo.com/

so I transplanted all my stuff into this 1996 4runner I got with with insurance money, last week.

Everything ran fine and I never had any dimming problems with my previous 1996 w/ 120,000 miles on it.

Also could a bad alternator cause an engine check light to go on?

thanks again.

Joe
Old 07-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Joec500
actually this is what happened to my last 4runner

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/joeseekit...tos.yahoo.com/
so I transplanted all my stuff into this 1996 4runner I got with with insurance money, last week.
Everything ran fine and I never had any dimming problems with my previous 1996 w/ 120,000 miles on it.
Also could a bad alternator cause an engine check light to go on?
thanks again.

Joe
AAAGH My eyes. That looks like a mess Joe.. Yeah I suspect a bad alternator could cause your check engine light to shine. Think of it this way if you arnt getting enough juice( alot of sensors work on resistance) to the sensors then they will be giving your ECM false readings. Hence you will be pulling codes for things that arnt really messed up. I'm not an expert on this but I do work on DDC (direct digital controllers ) for a living. Basically its the same thing as your cars computer. Like I said if its not the alternator than check your connections .If you dont have a service manual or a Multimeter you should invest in both. Its not hard to troubleshoot Most problems you just need to know where to look...In any event the board members here seem very smart and should be able to help you out..
Old 07-02-2003, 04:52 PM

Thanks for input.....Yah, some lady T boned me, when she decided that Red means Go 50 MPH underneath my OME lifted 4runner and flip it in the air causing it to roll over twice.....

My Runner gave the ultimate sacrafice to save my sorry A**