95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

correlation between power steering and rear abs on 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question correlation between power steering and rear abs on 2nd gen

This is in regards to my 90 4Runner:

I read that the rear ABS uses the power steering fluid for pressure. My power steering has been leaking, but I think its fixed now. I was going to bleed it, but according to the book, I'd have to bleed the ABS system too, which is something Toyota should do.
Anyone else had this done? Does it help your brakes, especially the rear, work better?

I also read in my Toyota owners manual that the power steering pump should use Dexron II auto trans fluid. I've been putting synthetic power steering fluid in for a couple of years now. Aside from the leak, I've had no problems. Is this affecting the ABS as well?

Also, if I put the brake peddle all the way on the floor(even just sitting still) I get a buzzing noise from under the dash. Any ideas what that is?
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

I can't really see why you should have to bleed the ABS.. When my fan blew up (see webpage for write up) it cut my power steering cooling line.. I ended up ratching the rubber hose with a "U" of metal.. (new lines were stupid price and it was on the low preasure side..) But it leaked a little after I fixed it, Strange thing is that it was from a clamp not touched on the other side.. But My ABS light was on when I first stepped on the brakes untill the next time the key was turned off.. (IE: start it, step on brake.. turn off truck, re-start.. and it would be good for the day.. I never touched the ABS lines, and it has been a couple of years, and the ABS still works.. Did you find this in the FSM ?? I can not remember if the PS pump had fluid lines for the brakes or just electric .. I know it has electroincs on it for the ABS...
Old 03-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Have you had any loss in power when applying the brakes or actuating the power steering I.e. turning steering wheel to load up power steering pump.?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:46 PM

Selling My Baby: 49,500

1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser.

Engine:
-Rebuilt roller cam Chevy 350 from a 1987 Camaro
-RV performance Camshaft
-Downy Engine conversion kit
-670cfm Holly Truck Avenger Carburetor
-Edeblrock Polished Performance Air-Gap manifold
-Hedman street rod headers
-Saginaw Power steering system
-Larger 4-core aluminum radiator
-High performance distributor

Transmission:
4-Speed manual transmission from a 1974 FJ40

Suspension:
-Downey 4” suspension system to include cantilever unfolding shackles for added articulation if needed
-Spector replacement body-mount bushings
35x14.50x15 Super Swamper SSR tires mounted on 15x12 Mickey Thompson wheels

Body:
-Rocky Mountain Land Cruisers one-piece aluminum tub and cowling with detachable windshield frame
-Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser aluminum tailgate storage box
-One-piece reinforced fiberglass hood and fenders
-Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser bolt on front brush guard
8000lb winch with 8’ remote cable

Interior:
-Summit racing Seats with 5-point harness
-Aluminum Dash panels with Phantom gauges
-Kenwood CD player in sealed compartment of glove box, 6x9 Infinity outdoor speakers with 10” JL subwoofer. CD player can be controlled by a water resistant maritime control panel that’s mounted on the dash
-Includes chargeable USB iPod or iPhone cable while glove box is shut.
-AC 110 volt power outlet with power inverter in the back tub of cruiser for air compressor, welder or tools

-I have all receipts from previous owner and myself; vehicle has never been off-road and always garaged.

Serious Inquires Only Please
seidersjoden@gmail.com
757-701-6266
Attached Thumbnails correlation between power steering and rear abs on 2nd gen-photo-5.jpg   correlation between power steering and rear abs on 2nd gen-20.jpg