Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Convert your wheels to beadlocks??

Old 03-01-2003, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Convert your wheels to beadlocks??

I read that Rockstomper makes a kit to take your steel wheels and make them into real beadlock wheels with some welding. The kit adds about 1 1/2"-2" to the width of the wheel (another +) Anyone on here running real beadlocks? I was thinking of getting a set of steel 4Runner wheels and doing this for some "trail" wheels. What's the consensys on beadlocks?

Rockstomper
Old 03-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Beadlocks are illegal in many states to drive on the road.
You have to check with your State Patrol.

In my state you get caught, you can get fined big time.

The only advantage to them is if you are going to be airing down below 4 PSI as it will hold the tire on the rim without breaking a bead from what I have heard.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't think beadlocks are really necessary unless you air way down to like 0-2 psi and then only if you are driving and turning fast like in the dunes or spinning your tires a lot on the rocks. My friend pismoboy over on ttora is the undisputed sand dune king and he's rarely, if ever thrown a bead. It's all about skill and knowing how much throttle to use. Plus, beadlocks aren't street legal.

Steve
Old 03-01-2003, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is it about beadlocks that makes them not street legal??
Old 03-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Banned

There are a lot of bolts or screws all around the bead that can quickly work loose at speeds over 35 or so. If enough of them come loose you have a flat while at speed.

Beadlock wheels are designed for rock crawling competetions like Scott@Rockstomper competes in and for CORR and BAJA type of offroad racing where there are lots of fishtailing through bumpy turns and high output race motors. They require a lot of attention.

When I got my new tires I saw the installer brush some type of glue on the beads to help keep them sealed to the wheel. I didn't ask for it, they just did it. It makes since though.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by jx94148
...high output race motors.
Guess that's why I need 'em (3 point slow V6)

Originally posted by jx94148
When I got my new tires I saw the installer brush some type of glue on the beads to help keep them sealed to the wheel. I didn't ask for it, they just did it. It makes since though.
That's some sort of sealant. My right rear tire had a slow leak that became a lost bead due to some flashing (corrosion) on my aluminum wheels where the bead sits. (the tire guy told me this was common with aluminum wheels). They applied that stuff on mine when they remounted it. No problems since then.

I know none of my other wheels/tires got that treatment - looks like it will happen one by one...
Old 03-02-2003, 07:10 AM

Street lock wheels

I have a set of the "Street lock" wheels. I had no idea when I bought them that they look exactly like real beadlocks. On the Tonga Ridge snow run I ran them at 0psi and never popped a bead either.From this experience I highly recommend them. When I was over at Jeff's shop (Badland Bumpers) he had a set of real beadlocks that looked exactly like mine. You actually have to look really close to notice the difference. Theoretically then I could be driving around on real beadlocks here in WA and no law enforcement officials have taken an interest in the least. Just a thought. Not condoning civil disobedience!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2....280KB2UFGC97EA
Old 03-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

A real beadlock actually locks the bead down. A Streetlock is just a regular wheel with rivets on the side to look like a real one.

Real beadlock:

Streetlock:
Old 03-02-2003, 12:11 PM

Beadlocks fail two safety tests, side load and something else. That is why they're not DOT legal.

Don't waste your money on those stupid poseur street-locks, they do nothing more than plain steel wheels.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

I doubt that it was glue or sealant. It was probably just some watered down soap to help the bead slide over the outside of the rim. I worked for a tire shop in highschool and that is how we did it. There is even a tub to hold the stuff built into the tire mounting machines.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by tomus1000
I doubt that it was glue or sealant. It was probably just some watered down soap to help the bead slide over the outside of the rim. I worked for a tire shop in highschool and that is how we did it. There is even a tub to hold the stuff built into the tire mounting machines.
You are talking about the soapy water they use to slip the tires on and check for leaks.

The stuff they put on mine was black - looked like the consistency of black PVC cement for plumbing. They even applied it the same way - with a dauber out of some kind of can. The guy is my neighbor, so next time I see him I'll ask what it was.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Shane
Beadlocks fail two safety tests, side load and something else. That is why they're not DOT legal...
Fail side load tests? Isn't that what these things are supposed to shine at?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
Fail side load tests? Isn't that what these things are supposed to shine at?
They're on-road high-speed endurance tests, not exactly crawling over rocks type stuff. All you need to be worried about is whether your state requires DOT approved wheels.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:45 AM

As far as the Streetlocks being poseur, well they are better built than the regular steel "rock crawler" wheels since they have a reinforced outer lip just like some of the real beadlocks. They just happen to have the grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts on the "poseur ring" that make them appear to be beadlocks. And at the price I paid for them, they were a better deal than the regular steel rockcrawler wheels. I paid $55 ea for a 15x8 at www.discounttire.com I have abused the hell out of them and they haven't failed me yet.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:29 PM

$55??? WOW! I liked the simulated beadlocks even before I knew how great the pricing can be!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:39 PM

Cebby,
exactly my sentiments. And they are strong as well. I can attest to that since I ran like 0psi in my tires on the Tonga Ridge Snow Run and didn't pop a bead either. The way I see it, I can run these for a while and get the real ones later, after everyone is used to seeing the "poseur" ones on my truck since they look exactly the same.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:09 PM

Beadlocks are not DOT approved because of...

- not worth it for the manufacturing companies (they are designed for low PSI usage)
- many more variables in manufacturing them (versus standard rim types)

Essentially, beadlocks are designed for one thing...running low PSI. There are no advantages to them for highway driving. There is a much cost involved in fine-tuning the manufacturing to have them DOT approved. That's not worth it for the manufacturers because they don't care about the "poser-value".

Anyway, if you have the funds to own a spare set of tires/rims, that would be awesome for wheeling. For any driving over 35MPH, I would not recommend them.

Just my 2-cents,
Jim
Old 03-03-2003, 07:11 PM

That's my goal, to have a spare set of trail tires with some really aggressive rubber for the trail.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:53 PM

Cool...good for you.
(since my rig is a daily-driver I would love to do that too...)

What's your plan for getting them to the trail? I guess you could have a trailer that you would just lock-up at the trailhead...

Anyway, what's your plan...

Jim