Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

clutch/hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch/hydraulics

ok, so i've learned that my truck (22re) has a hydrualic clutch. my clutch has been slipping for months now. (basically since my last offroading trip at labor day). it's been steadily getting worse. it's getting to the point that i have problems accelerating up to speed. and i certainly won't get back on the dunes (or other offroading locations) this summer without a new clutch. i don't feel like doing it mostly because i'm lazy and don't have another vehicle to drive while i'm getting at it piece by piece. if it was spring/summer/fall, i could just ride my bike. i do most of the time anyways. but since it's winter, my truck is my only vehicle. so here's my question. since i'm bringing it to the shop to get it done, i need to know what all entails with a clutch job. they guy i talked with highly recommended changing out all the hydraulic stuff while they're at it. i don't even know what that all includes or how much more it'll cost me beyond just paying for the clutch itself.

so, what does "changing out the hydraulic" stuff include? how much will it cost (roughly, of course)? and do you guys agree with his recommendation that it's a smart idea to do it all at once?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is his reasoning behind changing out all of the Hydraulic stuff, besides more money in his pocket?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by PirateFins
What is his reasoning behind changing out all of the Hydraulic stuff, besides more money in his pocket?
haha, if it wasn't who he was, i'd wonder the same thing. but he's a friend of mine, and a leader at my church. he wouldn't screw me.

as for the reasoning, i'm not fully sure. he attempted to briefly explain it to me last night, but i was in a hurry and had to leave. (i was over at his house). he said something about with it being a new clutch, the force used will be different, and the hydraulics would wear out rather quickly due to this. something like that. i really can't remember, cuz i wasn't totally listening. i might have to give him a call and ask him exactly why and then get back to you.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:59 AM

Using that same rationale, does he change all the brake hydraulics when he changes pads?

Clutch hydralics are composed of master cylinder, metal line, rubber line, and slave cylinder. A new clutch has makes very little difference on the hydraulic components compared to an old clutch, unless you are going to a heavier duty pressure plate. In any case, I would not switch out any of the hydraulic components unless they are leaking. If they leak or fail later, it's still a cheap job, since all of the components are cheap and easily accessed. i.e. you don't remove the tranny and clutch to get to the slave cylinder, lines or master cylinder.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Unhappy99
If they leak or fail later, it's still a cheap job, since all of the components are cheap and easily accessed. i.e. you don't remove the tranny and clutch to get to the slave cylinder, lines or master cylinder.
excellent. that's what i was looking for. thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want him to flush the system with new fluid. That is done just like you flush and bleed brakes. Just a thought. Make sure when you / he puts the new clutch in they flywheel gets resurfaced. All of that slipping probably galzed it.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by PirateFins
You might want him to flush the system with new fluid. That is done just like you flush and bleed brakes. Just a thought. Make sure when you / he puts the new clutch in they flywheel gets resurfaced. All of that slipping probably galzed it.
yeah, i need ALL new fluids: engine, tranny, transfer case, AND windshield wiper! might as well get er done. . . .