95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Christmas time wax job

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 08:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Clay, clay, clay...

Claying will make the paint smoother, and will make the wax go on and sink in better.

It's one step you should not skip.
It's almost effertless to do it, even by hand.

But, there is a difference in clay bars and the lube you use.
Do a search on this forum in the review section:
http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php
An you will see the Griot's clay bar and Speed Shine wins hands down.

The Griot's chunk of clay is the biggest also.
Corey
PS, I would have seen this earlier, but my ISP was down all day yesterday, and it's cutting in and out today.
It's gone down about 10 times already today
Old 12-10-2002, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me be the nay sayer in the Griot's love fest here. I've tried the stuff and I think it's horrible. Very hard to get off the truck, unles of course you buy there paint prep or something like that. I clayed my truck and then tried the polish. Never in my life have I worked so hard to remove a little bit of wax. My advice is to stay away from it.

Just my 2 cents.

ps- the porter Cable works great.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tpg013
Let me be the nay sayer in the Griot's love fest here. I've tried the stuff and I think it's horrible. Very hard to get off the truck, unles of course you buy there paint prep or something like that. I clayed my truck and then tried the polish. Never in my life have I worked so hard to remove a little bit of wax. My advice is to stay away from it.

Just my 2 cents.

dude don't scare me, what do you mean "worked so hard to remove a little bit of wax"? I am going to try to clay, polish, and wax my rig for the first time ever in my life (mind you I usually pay someone to do it) and I am going to buy the "sacered" Corey Cable, what wax do you have to remove? I thought Dawn liquid detergent did that? :pat:
Old 12-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ah yes...

Originally posted by tpg013

Just my 2 cents.

I remember your post from here.

I don't use the Paint Prep on mine, and other than the BOS wax being a "little" harder to buff out than other wax, there simply is not a better wax on the market than perhaps Zaino in protecting your paint.

Just do a search on Griot's products on the detail forum.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...s+Best+Of+Show

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...s+Best+Of+Show

That forum over there contains a wealth of info on detailing, and most anyone you ask over there will tell you Griot's products such as the clay, Speed Shine, Best Of Show wax, and the Machine Polishes are top notch and worth it.

Sounds like you had some problems putting it on as in to thick maybe?
A little BOS goes a long ways.

I last waxed my rig with it in May when those pics in the above URL # 2 were taken.
My rig still looks like it's just been waxed, though it sits outdoors all the time.

Ask Sparman, a member here and over on ODW how he likes Griot's stuff.

Like I have said many times before, in all my years of waxing since '75, this is the best stuff I have ever used.

Mohamed, the Dawn soap is used when you wash your rig to remove all the dead wax.
Perfectly safe, as I do it.

He's talking about using a rag after using the buffer to take off the wax.
You must buff the wax in (also called taking the wax off) with a rag after you apply it.

In the URL above from the detail forum someone mentioned putting a tad of water on the Griot's pad to wetten it so the BOS wax will be easier to remove after Porter Cable'n it.
That will make it come off easier.

But really, I don't have that hard of a time getting it off.
Ask Todd, he did his rig for the first time with it last spring.
Corey
Old 12-10-2002, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very hard to get off the truck, unles of course you buy there paint prep or something like that. I clayed my truck and then tried the polish. Never in my life have I worked so hard to remove a little bit of wax.
Seems to me you might need to read up and practice a bit more on how to properly polish/wax your vehicle. Autopia.com has a great site. Check it out. Anyways, from my experience, the only time I've ever had to "work hard" to get any product off is when I applied too much on. Are you sure you're not over doing it, my friend?

I've worked w/ the Griots stuff before and it wasn't difficult to apply or remove, esp. w/ the Corey Cable.

Bob
Old 12-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Ah yes...

Originally posted by Corey
Mohamed, the Dawn soap is used when you wash your rig to remove all the dead wax.
Perfectly safe, as I do it.

He's talking about using a rag after using the buffer to take off the wax.
You must buff the wax in (also called taking the wax off) with a rag after you apply it.
Oh okay...Umm...huh? :confused:

I thought the buffer does that for you? I know I should check out the forum, and I will, but can you explain this to me? Remember I am a detail shmuk (along with a bunch of other ___(you fill in the blank)shmuk) !
Old 12-10-2002, 05:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The best thing I can tell you is to read my detail page.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/wax/wax.htm

I have it so even a newbie can go out and use the buffer for the first time.

The buffer does not take the wax off.
It is used for applying your chemicals.

You must take off the residue with cotton rags, or you can use the new Micro Fiber ones that Griot's sells now.

To be honest with you though, I have tons of 100% cotton rags here, and I'll keep using and washing them afterwards to use to take off the stuff.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

So do you think those micro-fiber ones are worth it? Or should i just stick w/ my cotton ones?
Old 12-10-2002, 06:14 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

A few here have bought them, but I'll stick with cotton.

Oh, Griot's has a way to test if yoru "100%" cotton rags are really 100% too.

Take a lighter and light the seam of the rag on fire.
It if curls up black, it's got polyester in it, and poly can introduce fine scracthes in your paint.

Here is what Mr. Griot says about poly.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...=cotton+towels

Here are the Micro fiber ones.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....L1_1000&Page=3

More on cotton.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=14600

Don't even use a diaper
They have poly in them.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

The Micro Fiber or MF towels work great for drying, polishing, using with a Quick Detail spray and cleaning windows. I prefer them over cotton towels anymore.

You can get some good deals on MF towels here:
PakShak

They have good prices and free shipping right now.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corey
[B]A few here have bought them, but I'll stick with cotton.

Oh, Griot's has a way to test if yoru "100%" cotton rags are really 100% too.

Take a lighter and light the seam of the rag on fire.
It if curls up black, it's got polyester in it, and poly can introduce fine scracthes in your paint.

yeah, i read that in their catalog. I dont know how they knew to send it to me. lol! I wan't to order a bunch of stuff. Gota save some money.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:44 PM

Thumbs up

Groit's 100% cotton cloths are excellent to remove the wax,but dont forget to dip some Corn Starch to catch the body indentions and round corners that the Machine can't remove to have the most consistent shine on your hard work.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, im curious about this corn starch thing. what does that involve? what does it do?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:21 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mix a little corn starch and Best Of Show wax together, and you have some moonshine, er I mean YotaShine.

Old 12-10-2002, 10:23 PM

Talking

When I used to remove the wax whether by machine or hand ,my tailgate or cowl section would have left over residue of wax.I also notice a hazy look from a certain angle from hand wiping wax off.My friend uses Corn starch dipped on cotton cloth to remove wax while doing aluminum rims like M/T.So I figure I would try it on my Black Truck and now I found the right way to remove all of the wax by hand and get the wet look shine.Try it and let us know on your next wax job.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:47 AM

Ah yes, like I didn't think Corey would defend Griot's. Look through Autotopia and you'll also see many who agree with me about Griot's. As for not knowing how to polish/wax my truck, I've been doing it for over 20 years and never ran into the trouble I did with Griot's. As for using too much, I don't think so, i used less than an ounce when I returned it and it was the polish not the wax. I never got that far. Just for the record the truck was washed twice with Dawn before I tried using the polish.

Besides why can't I state my comments about not likeing the stuff. The original question asked for peoples opinion. I gave mine. I didn't know this was renamed the have to agree with Corey forum. I should not be flamed for it.

I've said it before I'll say it again, with the way Corey trumpets this stuff and due to the fact that I've seen his truck in their catalog still makes me think there is some sort of connection there.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

We all need to find what works best for our needs and vehicle.

Cory got me going on Detailing and I went over to Autopia and did my research.

I ended up settling for a combination of Griot's Clay and Zaino's Polish and MF towels. The Zaino works better for me because the New Mexico sun destroys carnuba based polishes in a couple weeks.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:32 AM

I've said it before I'll say it again, with the way Corey trumpets this stuff and due to the fact that I've seen his truck in their catalog still makes me think there is some sort of connection there.
Hmmm...let me get this straight...according to your logic, if you like a product, and you recommend it to your friends...then you win a car show not sponsored by that company's product, then you submit your truck's picture and testimonial to that company, it get published in ONE issue of their catalog....that makes you a sales agent or beneficiary of that company?

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Bob
Old 12-11-2002, 08:44 AM

Bob,
If that were the case, I'd agree. However, our friend goes a little too far in pushing product. It's one thing to recommend, but it's another to jump up and down, post links, give ordering info, jump in on any question about wax here and push Griot's and pour the praise on too thick. If one didn't know any better, one would think that he makes the stuff in his basement, and maybe he does. Again I don't understand why I get flak for giving an opinion. Just because it may not agree with the masses her, it is another opinon based on experience with the product. I'm sorry, I didn't read the rule here that said if you don't agree with Corey you can't post.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:29 AM

tgp:

Your opinion (and anyone's opinion for that matter) is all what this forum is about. However, not only are you stating your opinion that you don't like Griots products but you also go one step further and accuse Corey of benefitting from his endorsements. Now IMHO, that's just wrong, especially if you don't have the facts to prove it. Hell, if you read any of my posts about Zaino, I wouldn't be surprised if you would accuse me of the same!

On a relevant note regarding the topic of this thread, what do you use/recommend and why?

Bob

Quick Reply: Christmas time wax job