Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Check Engine Light... I have Had Enough...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then just clean the MAF, Take your time on it. Spray it with electrical cleaner. and carb cleaner on the TB. Dont let TX-BLKRUNNER scare you off of cleaning the MAF its really simple. The only way you can screw it up is if you jab it with something.

You should try cleaning my MAF.. im the lucky one with the 300$ one haha. talk about a PITA!

Resort the the O2 sensor last. because yes they are expensive
Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 AM

if you screw up your MAF by cleaning it then you need to hop back on the short bus, sea foam supposedly cleans out your cat and rids it of any odors, though ive also heard of it killing o2 sensors
Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stevo3
Then just clean the MAF, Take your time on it. Spray it with electrical cleaner. and carb cleaner on the TB. Dont let TX-BLKRUNNER scare you off of cleaning the MAF its really simple. The only way you can screw it up is if you jab it with something.

You should try cleaning my MAF.. im the lucky one with the 300$ one haha. talk about a PITA!

Resort the the O2 sensor last. because yes they are expensive
Thank you for calming me down...
LOl...
I was planing on cleaning the MAF a while back when I first joined the site...
The first time I went off-roading the ending compartment (along witht eh air box) got soaked in mud...
I was glad there was an auto place right around the corner cause the air fliter was for crap by that point so I got a K&N since I heard good things (but now am hearing bad things from this site) so yeah...

Phew...
I gotta stop getting so worked up...
I's just a car some say...
But to me...
It IS my Life...
Old 11-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Ive heard the same about that stuff. Nothing has happened to my plugs or O2's ran better than ever after a dose of that stuff. Need to do it again though.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by YotaFun
Thank you for calming me down...
LOl...
I was planing on cleaning the MAF a while back when I first joined the site...
The first time I went off-roading the ending compartment (along witht eh air box) got soaked in mud...
I was glad there was an auto place right around the corner cause the air fliter was for crap by that point so I got a K&N since I heard good things (but now am hearing bad things from this site) so yeah...

Phew...
I gotta stop getting so worked up...
I's just a car some say...
But to me...
It IS my Life...
There are some people that like the K&N and some people that dont. I personally love em. no matter what people say about them. i have used them on all my vehicles. Just gotta know how much to oil them hehe.

Uhmm, i seen something on here about cleaning the MAF if you dont know where to start. But ill have to link the thread when i get home from work, im leaving now. Yaay
Contributing Member

I am really gald I joined this site!!
So Many Opinions...
So Much Reading...
I will be up all night reserach this and every other site...
LOL...
I am a proud Yota owner...
Contributing Member

you said you just cleaned the filter..air? perhaps you got excited watching it turn pink again and over oiled it. not having a heart attack here, just want you to get it fixed for cheap and hopefully moms will relax. anyhow, your fine to drive the runner
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stevo3
There are some people that like the K&N and some people that dont. I personally love em. no matter what people say about them. i have used them on all my vehicles. Just gotta know how much to oil them hehe.

Uhmm, i seen something on here about cleaning the MAF if you dont know where to start. But ill have to link the thread when i get home from work, im leaving now. Yaay
yeah work in an hour here too....
Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote: I am haveing the same problem but i know the codes (Multiple Cylnder Misfire) but i have replaced everything and i still cant figure it out. Hope you find out what is wrong with yours.

Hey Red Neck Bill, I just went through the same thing your going through. After changing everything I could think of with no luck in fixin the problem. It turned out that my timing was of one tooth. Now I have no codes and no CEL. You might have someone look at or you can pull the timing belt cover off and check it out yourself. Hope this helps. Tommy
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fireteacher
you said you just cleaned the filter..air? perhaps you got excited watching it turn pink again and over oiled it. not having a heart attack here, just want you to get it fixed for cheap and hopefully moms will relax. anyhow, your fine to drive the runner
The thought of over oiling it corssed my mind...
But this is the third time I have done it...
(I hit waaayy to much mud...)
Thank you for helping you have no idea...
Moms look on her face last night when I told her about the light almost screamed Death to the 4Runner....
Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

youll get her fixed. next time dont tell her, come hear first!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 AM

I mise well jump on the band wagon, clean your MAF!

kidding, hope you figure out the problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fireteacher
youll get her fixed. next time dont tell her, come hear first!
I normally do...
I guess I was just so worked up when I walked in the door that it kinda just...
Came out...
D'oh!!

Originally Posted by gregbreakseverything
I mise well jump on the band wagon, clean your MAF!

kidding, hope you figure out the problem.
Thanks

lol....
Just Playin!!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

sorry, i'm not trying to scare anyone. a buddy of mine messed his MAF up by just rinsing his engine off with the water hose. sorry but i still do not understand why you guys are so adimate that you clean the MAF, when the code is read sensor
Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

what kind of car does he have? dont see it being a prob with the runner
Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM

cleaning your MAF is a good preventive maintencen item to do anyways, when you have a K&N and are a young kid that has driven his truck through way nasty conditions his vehicle isnt made for its an even better idea. chances are that he has mud packed in his cat which is tripping the code, as for your buddy, you might want to tell him that rinsing out the inside of his airbox while his motor is running is a bad idea and can cause his MAF to malfunction. if you want an idea of how easy it is to remove two screws and a push clip and then spray some electrical contact cleaner in your MAF ill go make a short clip for you... and just so no one gets upset
Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 PM

A dirty MAF can cause the O2 sensors to get a bad reading tripping the computer to think something is wrong. Since the MAF can’t get good reading on incoming air the computer will adjust engine's air/fuel ratio. Which will be incorrect for what the engine is really getting and causing the exhaust gases to be incorrect as it passes by the O2 sensor.

Last edited by X2and4X; 11-16-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

sorry but cleaning the MAF is not going to clear the code. the 02sensor has probably failed a little prematurily because of mud puddles etc... (look at his avatar), just pull the old 02 sensor out, unplug the battery to clear the code and you will be as good as new. btw it was a later hard body that the MAF was damaged in. I am not trying to be a forum nazi, just do not understand why you guys are trying to tell him to fix somthing that will not fix his problem
Old 11-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

cause it has happened to me and several people here. and we cleaned our MAF's and no code. forum natzi!

quote:
A dirty MAF can cause the O2 sensors to get a bad reading tripping the computer to think something is wrong. Since the MAF can’t get good reading on incoming air the computer will adjust engine's air/fuel ratio. Which will be incorrect for what the engine is really getting and causing the exhaust gases to be incorrect as it passes by the O2 sensor.

good posting

EDIT: I too have a k&n, ashamed...got it before i found this place. i attribute that to the reason my MAF got so dirty. plus he said he claened it 3 times in 23k....id say that says alot

Last edited by fireteacher; 11-16-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
needs to go in someones sig
Haha...I put it in mine...lol

But back on topic, just drive it, I had mine on for abou 1 year before anything went wrong....mine was the 02 sensor, and I didnt change it untill my truck just wouldnt accelerate any more...!!!

My grandmother drove a lincoln with 186,XXX miles on it and the check engine light was on for abou 40k of those...she sold it with it still on...I wouldnt worry about it untill you get it checked!

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light... I have Had Enough...