Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Catalytic Converter size help

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter size help

Yeah guys, I need some help with my 1996 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L Xtracab 4WD stock. It has the CEL light on and I have figured out it is the Catalytic Converter that died. Now I am searching for a new catalytic converter that is just a bolt on. I wish to get one from MagnaFlow but using there search tool there isn't any. But I did find one but it said it only fits toyota tacoma 3.4l engines (MagnaFlow #448609). I removed my old OEM cat and compared it the tubing size and length and matches everything. The old cat has a2.5 inch Exhaust and an overall length of 17.5 inches. Do you think it will be ok to install this kind of cat even though all the size and lengths match? Also it is a California truck.
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=448609#modal-compatiblevehicles

Old 04-04-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone with more experience in early to late 3rd Gen's should have a better answer but if it fits the worst thing that would happen is the rear o2 sensor would throw a code. You could put a sensor simulator from URD to cover that up for an emissions test.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really doubt it would cause an emissions or functional problem and IMO it's very unlikely that a smog tech would go looking for the EO#. At the same time I know what those damn things cost here and don't want to say it will work when I don't actually know. Having said that, if I was in a bind, I'd probably buy it and try it.

I can see the old cat has a lot of blockage, so yeah, it looks like it's ready for replacement.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The only person who will make that call is you. If you have your doubts, just call the company directly. Its aftermarket, so at best, they're approximate fits. I installed a magnaflow on mine and didnt have much of an issue. My advice is as long as its in writing that that particular model number is for your specific Taco, you'll have something to fall back on for plan B in the unlikely event it does not fit.

However, looking back that you got a 4 cyl and what you bought is for a 6 cyl, I'll have to pray for you. I hope you dont live in Cali. They checked mine visually to make sure no simulator stuff was going on beneath.

Best of luck man.

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 05-20-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Search this Thread