Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter

My engine light came on yesterday so I took it to the dealership to see what they had to say.

They told me that the
Catalytic Converter was going and that it needed to be replaced and it would cost $1400.00 which is a lot of money for me period.

Is there a way to do this cheaper?

I would image not having the dealership do the work would be the first cost saving move.

What would be my other options? Anyone have any thoughts.

Wayne

Old 02-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

1400????

i would imagine you can get a new CC for around 100 and have any muffler shop put it in...
Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sharpshine
My engine light came on yesterday so I took it to the dealership to see what they had to say.

They told me that the
Catalytic Converter was going and that it needed to be replaced and it would cost $1400.00 which is a lot of money for me period.

Is there a way to do this cheaper?

I would image not having the dealership do the work would be the first cost saving move.

What would be my other options? Anyone have any thoughts.

Wayne

Call Scott at Minute Muffler in Dublin: 925-829-4733
Tell him Dave with the supercharged Tacoma told you to call. He will take care of you. His address is 6743 Dublin BLVD. , Dublin.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
Call Scott at Minute Muffler in Dublin: 925-829-4733
Tell him Dave with the supercharged Tacoma told you to call. He will take care of you. His address is 6743 Dublin BLVD. , Dublin.
...and tell him to install this:

Magnaflow Cat, $56 shipped. If you're running a stock exhaust, you'll want the 2.25" version.

($1400??? WOW! I'll do it for $1000 and I can't weld! )
Old 02-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Join the club!

Fink started this thread about his cat converter throwing a code https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=converter

I'm not sure if he's gotten the O2 simulator working, but it looks like the best bet at this point, unless you drop some serious $$ for the stock replacement.

If my CEL comes back on and I were to replace the cat, I'd purchase it online from one of the many parts suppliers and just take it to a local shop.

Erich

Last edited by Erich_870; 02-20-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

When I had to replace the one on my '91 4Runner, I got one at Napa for $100. The stock exhaust has flanges for the cat so you just unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

I thought the stock Cat had an extended warranty, well above and beyond the 5/60 powertrain warranty...

I guess the Stealer would have mentioned that if it was covered...then again, maybe not.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 AM

How many miles are on your 4runner? If you are under 80k it's under warranty. My cat went at 70k and they did the job for free. MY VA 4runner has the CA dual cat, your probably does too. It's an expensive part but there is a lot of info on this site if you search for it.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:36 PM

Catalytic Converter

So, after a little bit of calling around to exhaust shops (Chris in Dublin was helpful, thanks) I found that the CA 4Runners have a pre and a main cat and that my main cat has become plugged and cannot store oxygen. Toyota said they see this all the time and to just replace it. I now have about 104,500 miles on mine, so I am past the warrenty.

What they are not tell me is, "why does it get plugged"? Does anyone know?

Because tomorrow I am going to have it replaced for $350 and I do not want to have it happen again. What makes a cat go bad, bad 02 sensor, wrong air gas mixture, I would like to know?

Also, I was told that CA 4Runners could either use OEM parts or used rebuilt cats that have been approved by the EPA. The rebuilt cats being a lot less expensive than OEM, and that these are the only two options for CA 4Runners. Is this bogus, has anyone purchased CA (main) cats other than OEM or rebuilt?

But, $350 is a lot cheaper than $1400. It pays off to do your homework and being part of this forum.

Wayne
Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM

I've never heard of a rebuilt Cat, but I guess it's possible. It seems like they are just stamped sheet metal, so I don't see how you could "rebuild" that, but I would think there is a way to rebuild/clean the platinum inside($$$). I wonder if there is enough inside to warrant collecting old cats Back on topic!

Either way, definitely share with us all the details of your repair. $350 is HALF the price of the cheapest OEM cat I found online.

Erich
Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by sharpshine
So, after a little bit of calling around to exhaust shops (Chris in Dublin was helpful, thanks) I found that the CA 4Runners have a pre and a main cat and that my main cat has become plugged and cannot store oxygen.
fwiw, cat's don't "store oxygen" - they have blocks of 3 different elements in them (platinum, rhodium & palladium) that react with the exhaust emissions to reduce the "bad stuff".

This can help:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

This is the key page:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm

What they are not tell me is, "why does it get plugged"? Does anyone know?
The cat will rust just like a muffler will. As it falls apart, the pieces will lay randomly in the path of the exhaust flow and "plug it up".

At 104k, it's very normal. In fact, I'd say you got about 20k extra out of that one.

Because tomorrow I am going to have it replaced for $350 ...
ummm, are you just an OEM guy? Like I mentioned above, $112 would have got you _two_ free-flow cats that any shop could have installed. You would have saved enough money for a kegger.

And a 2nd "fwiw"... I take it that $350 is for just one cat? You should really replace both - if the "main" is gone at 104k, then the 2nd one is right on its heals.

Last edited by midiwall; 02-28-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
ummm, are you just an OEM guy? Like I mentioned above, $112 would have got you _two_ free-flow cats that any shop could have installed. You would have saved enough money for a kegger.
Whats the legality of replacing the stock CA exhaust with the free flow that doesn't replace the dual system? Wouldn't he also need the simulator Fink is working with?

Erich
Old 02-28-2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Erich_870
Whats the legality of replacing the stock CA exhaust with the free flow that doesn't replace the dual system? Wouldn't he also need the simulator Fink is working with?
Ummm, I was thinking that he'd replace both cats with two new free-flow cats, hence my point about being able to buy _two_ new cats for $112.

Fink's results with the simulator are pretty mixed - I dunno that I would suggest that option, either from a legal or "performance" standpoint.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:55 AM

Ummm, I was thinking that he'd replace both cats with two new free-flow cats, hence my point about being able to buy _two_ new cats for $112.

Fink's results with the simulator are pretty mixed - I dunno that I would suggest that option, either from a legal or "performance" standpoint.
I guess I'm confused on whether the free flow cat is EPA compliant and comes with the needed O2 sensor bungs or if he'd have to find an exhaust shop that's willing to put them in. In all the research I've done, a lot of exhaust shops don't want to take the risk involved in mimicking OEM emission systems.

Erich
Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Wayne, Just curious...is your CEL throwing a code PO 420? If so, I'm in the same boat as you. This code also came up for me in October '04 and I just replaced the O2 Sensor, but it has reared it's ugly head again (105,000 miles). My local dealer also wanted about $1400 to fix the problem
Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM

I guess I'm confused on whether the free flow cat is EPA compliant and comes with the needed O2 sensor bungs or if he'd have to find an exhaust shop that's willing to put them in.
Yes, the MagaFlow cats that are being sold at the eBay link above are EPA compliant. They are the 94100 series, and the specs can be found here:
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/941.aspx

Sensor wise, all of those at the link have the air tubes, not the sensor holes. O2 sensor bungs would have to be added in the short pipe before/after the cat.

But, I figure you're actually worried if they're CARB complient. Those would be the MagnaFlow 43000 series, info here:
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/430.aspx

Even with having to buy the 43000 series cats, he'd still be way ahead of the dealer's $350 game.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 PM

I just replaced my cat on a 97 4runner and it cost me about $250 (normally $300-$350)at a local muffler shop. The guy at the shop always does work for me and told me that for obd2 cars they have to meet some type of guide line and they have to be obd2 certified. Mine came with a 5year 50,000 mile warranty and I had to fill out a card.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by son209
I just replaced my cat on a 97 4runner and it cost me about $250 (normally $300-$350)at a local muffler shop. The guy at the shop always does work for me and told me that for obd2 cars they have to meet some type of guide line and they have to be obd2 certified. Mine came with a 5year 50,000 mile warranty and I had to fill out a card.
fwiw, the card in question comes in the box with the cats I keep linking to. They _are_ EPA/OBDII certified.

You guys are paying WAY too much for this stuff. It takes about 30 minutes to replace a cat - less if it's bolted in (including welding flanges onto the MagnaFlow FreeFlows).

I don't mean to be combative, I'm just trying to get the word out that the dealer and many muffler shops are ripping you off.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:20 PM

fwiw, the card in question comes in the box with the cats I keep linking to. They _are_ EPA/OBDII certified.

You guys are paying WAY too much for this stuff. It takes about 30 minutes to replace a cat - less if it's bolted in (including welding flanges onto the MagnaFlow FreeFlows).

I don't mean to be combative, I'm just trying to get the word out that the dealer and many muffler shops are ripping you off.
I appreciate your knowledge. Can you post which magnaflow cat is compliant with the OB2 system on a Cali Emissions rig? I haven't found a competent exhaust shop here so it looks like I'll have to do the leg work and just find some help with the welding.

Erich
Old 03-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Can you post which magnaflow cat is compliant with the OB2 system on a Cali Emissions rig?
Sure... You're looking for the MagnaFlow 43000 series cats. From a couple of posts above, responding to you :

But, I figure you're actually worried if they're CARB complient. Those would be the MagnaFlow 43000 series, info here:
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/430.aspx

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter