Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CarChip vs PDA-Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarChip vs PDA-Dyno

I'm looking for one of these for my '03 4Runner, has anyone tried using either one?

Thx.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have two OBDII products:Both products have their place, and a couple of folks on the forum have one or the other. Use the forums SEARCH feature for more info and previous discussions.

To recommend one or the other (or the CarChip) depends on what you want to be able to do.

If you have a Windows based laptop and want to see what your truck can tell you about itself, then the best value by far is the OBDDiagnostics box. It will handle diagnostics codes, various ECU inputs like air flow, temp, etc, and do data logging and light graphing.

If you want to determine baseline info before performance mods, then the Auterra interface is nice. But don't expect it to be as accurate as a chassis dyno. It's also pretty pricey, but can be found on eBay for a lot less than Auterra sells direct for.

The CarChip is nice if you want to do long-term logging and not have a laptop ride along with you. The downside is that it's only a logger - there's no real-time display of data. This makes it kinda' useless for tuning.

Again... There have been many discussions here on the forum about these. Search around for "Auterra" or "OBDiagnostics" and you should be able to find a lot of words.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-23-2003 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:00 AM

I have a carchip (brand name I believe, but if you're really curious I will check on details)

It blugs into the OBDII port on the vehicle and logs up to 7 (I think, but I'm not 100%) data entries for something like 100 hours before it starts to write over the forst data logged. After plugging it into the car and logging the data I just unplug it and bring it up to my windows (or Linux I believe) PC and download the data. Pretty cool to see what your RPMs are at certain times, and what kind of temp your engine is running at, and all kinds of mosly useless data. (my favorite is number of gs experianced during acceleration and braking.)

Overall it has been pretty good. I wish it had the ability for a few more data entrys at once, but for a quick review of your engine's running condition, or a teen's driving habits, I love it!
Old 12-23-2003, 05:19 AM

Thanks! I guess the SQL server was down at 2am as I did a search on "scan tool" and "PDA-Dyno" and got zero results. Now I get a whole bunch.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by r854rnr
...and all kinds of mosly useless data. (my favorite is number of gs experianced during acceleration and braking.)
Actually... Knowing acceleration data is a big part of the data required to compute horsepower. The other part is the weight of your vehicle, and then the time it takes to move over a known distance.

And, here's a link to the CarChip home page:

http://www.carchip.com/drive/product...p_products.asp

Last edited by midiwall; 12-23-2003 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by derrick090
Thanks! I guess the SQL server was down at 2am as I did a search on "scan tool" and "PDA-Dyno" and got zero results. Now I get a whole bunch.
Also try searching on "auterra" and "obddiagnostics".

Have fun!