Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

BJ spacers-problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BJ spacers-problem?

Hey guys,
I installed my ball joint spacers last weekend--thanks Ched . However, after I was looking at it in the parking lot today, I noticed the upper control arm on the driver's side clears my tire by about 2 1/2" or so, but the upper control arm on the passenger's side clears by only about an inch. Is this normal? I got an alignment at Sears, and they acted like everything was allright. I'm not sure exactly what size wheels I've got, but the backspacing looks pretty deep maybe 4 or 5 inches and I've got 31x10.5 tires. Anyone got any idea what's up?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:49 AM

I was trying to find some pictures of other folks who installed the bj spacers to see if there was a difference between the two sides, but I couldn't find any that showed both sides. Anybody got any pics of their BJ spacer install that show both the right and left control arms?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:38 AM

No Prob man! Your welcome to come over and use my shop/tools anytime. I sure didn't notice any asymetricalness but it was after midnight by the time we finished and I was tired as I'm sure you were too.

Any problems other than what you mentioned? It drive straight? pull to one side? steerin' wheel centered???

btw: Your rims seem to be 15x8 with at least a 4" bs.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:43 AM

Nah, it drives cool. It just looks a little off. It's probably not anything to worry about anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed anything like that.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 PM

Bumpidy bump bump bump den fer ya
Old 11-11-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nathan Buchanan
I noticed the upper control arm on the driver's side clears my tire by about 2 1/2" or so, but the upper control arm on the passenger's side clears by only about an inch. Is this normal?
Doesn't sound normal to me. I've been running these spacers for about 6 months and I have about 1/2" between my tires and the UCA on both sides of my rig.

Are you sure that your wheels both have the same backspacing? The only thing I can think of that would cause the two sides to vary by 1.5" is if the wheels are a mis-matched set and one had more spacing than the other.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan Buchanan
Hey guys,
I installed my ball joint spacers last weekend--thanks Ched . However, after I was looking at it in the parking lot today, I noticed the upper control arm on the driver's side clears my tire by about 2 1/2" or so, but the upper control arm on the passenger's side clears by only about an inch. Is this normal? I got an alignment at Sears, and they acted like everything was allright. I'm not sure exactly what size wheels I've got, but the backspacing looks pretty deep maybe 4 or 5 inches and I've got 31x10.5 tires. Anyone got any idea what's up?
This is the first time I've heard of this. Got any pictures?

Frank