95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bad CV??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad CV??

First question, how do you know if you have a bad CV’s? Secondly, if bad, how difficult is it to replace it?

A while back I was t-boned from a crown vic. Every since, I’ve had high speed front end/wheel wobble and a crazy brake wobble in addition to a popping when turning sharp..

Rotated my KO's thinking it was a balance problem.. The problem persisted, and thought it was warped rotors so I replaced both w/ OEM..Out of ideas and too stubborn to take it to a dealer..

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Banned

if it clicks when turning its possibly a bad cv... how are the boots? can you squeeze them and feel grease inside? also if you got hit, maybe something else is binding? cvs arent hard to replace, but thats my opinion, i work for a repair shop, so i have a little more mechanical ability than a lot of people...
Old 07-06-2004, 06:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by jimabena74
if it clicks when turning its possibly a bad cv... how are the boots? can you squeeze them and feel grease inside? also if you got hit, maybe something else is binding? cvs arent hard to replace, but thats my opinion, i work for a repair shop, so i have a little more mechanical ability than a lot of people...
Yeah, both boots look fine.... I guess I'll go buy a rebuilt CV for 80 bucks and try my luck..

Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Chris-

Was this wreck a while ago? I don't know if there is a specific time frame on post hoc claims, but maybe you could re-open this and get the CV axle covered (assuming it was not your fault).

The first go around at replacing a CV axle will take you a little while. The longest part for me is jacking the rig up, taking off the wheel, popping off the dust cover, putting the wheel back on, lowering the rig down, using a breaker bar and removing the nut, jacking the rig back up, removing the wheel. Kind of redundant, but without air tools that's the way it goes. Once you get that far its just a matter of taking out the 4 14mm bolts under the spindle and popping the CV axle out.

Be sure to drain the diff fluid first BTW.

If you need more details, let me know. I have had the fortunate experience of R&Ring 4 CV axles at once during my diff swap project. Suddenly I am very good at it.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kctopher
I’ve had high speed front end/wheel wobble and a crazy brake wobble in addition to a popping when turning sharp.
The popping could be due to a bad CV, but the wobble definitely isn't, that sounds more like a bent rim or broken steering linkage... You might consider checking to see if you can move the tire around by pushing on it with one tire in the air, with a floor jack or something. Also possibly the upper or lower ball joint(s).

Where did the Crown Vic hit your car? If it was in front, I'd say you have something worse than a little CV problem...
Old 07-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
You have to drain the diff to change a CV?

Don't need to on 2nd gens...
Old 07-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox

Well you don't have to, but oil will leak from the shaft openings - at least mine did. No problems with leakage on the rig I drained (obviously).

It wasn't a whole lot, but enough to send me scrambling for a bucket and some rags.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Chris-

Was this wreck a while ago? I don't know if there is a specific time frame on post hoc claims, but maybe you could re-open this and get the CV axle covered (assuming it was not your fault).
Thank for the info Christian.. I’ve had to go back a couple times to the dealership to reclaim skid plate, realign the camber and have them remount my front bumper but too much time has passed since then.. Plus, I was at fault.. (go figure)

The popping could be due to a bad CV, but the wobble definitely isn't, that sounds more like a bent rim or broken steering linkage... You might consider checking to see if you can move the tire around by pushing on it with one tire in the air, with a floor jack or something. Also possibly the upper or lower ball joint(s).

Where did the Crown Vic hit your car? If it was in front, I'd say you have something worse than a little CV problem...
Brian, I’ve actually already tried checking for movement w/ the suspected side in the air but nothing out of the ordinary.. the crown vic impacted between front/rear wheels.. They replaced both doors, rocker panel and rear tire/rim.. ..crown vic was totaled.. (big surprise)
Old 07-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, 3rd gens are different. Their CV axle slides into the housing and seals up the diff. We can just unbolt some bolts, remove the axle and keep driving.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Heh, was the Crown Vic a police car?

Last edited by mastacox; 07-06-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Heh, was the Crown Vic a police car?
No, it was a old man doing about 65 in a 35..
Old 07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

bolts to replace studs

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Yeah, 3rd gens are different. Their CV axle slides into the housing and seals up the diff. We can just unbolt some bolts, remove the axle and keep driving.
hey steve

i think you posted a link regarding replacing studs with bolts a while back. is that what you are refering to here? if so could you see if you could locate that link, i think i may do that when i strip out my old 89 for parts. thanks in advance.

lee
Old 07-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

bump

Originally Posted by leebee
hey steve

i think you posted a link regarding replacing studs with bolts a while back. is that what you are refering to here? if so could you see if you could locate that link, i think i may do that when i strip out my old 89 for parts. thanks in advance.

lee
just bringing it up front.

lee
Old 07-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, didn't see this until now. I'm kinda busy right now trying to upload the pismo trip pics and it's getting late. If I don't respond in a day or two, PM me a reminder.