Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Azusa Canyon OHV

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Azusa Canyon OHV

I've been thinking about going up to Azusa Canyon OHV. Those of you that have gone there, are there are alot of obstacles to ride through there?

Is it just mud??? Are there some rock gardens and hill climbs?

Anyways, if someone can give me more info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 11:40 AM

Not too much difficulty there and it's small but it's fun for being so close by. Last time I was there, the forest service guy accosted me because I didn't pay. The last 4 times I was there, they let me in for free so I don't know what the deal is. It's $4 or something.

The mud is DANGEROUS! Don't go into the stuff near the water's edge! I took a picture of a Blazer w/10" of lift on it stuck up to his door sills. NO WAY to get out. Everytime I go there is one truck hopelessly stuck in the mud.

The rest of the mud is fun to play in. Most of it is just dry resivoir bottom...some rocks area but I wouldn't call it a rock garden, some hill climbs but nothing like Hungry Valley or anything.

The Rincon-shortcut trail starts from right near there so if it's open you can do that too. Ask the ranger if they are there or at the station at the bottom (where the neighborhood just ends/housing construction)
Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

I went canyon carving down east fork and GMR. Wow that was scary. Trying to keep up with an ae86.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:51 AM

Hey, GMR to Baldy is a training ride I do all the time!
Old 09-29-2004, 12:43 PM

GMR? Where is that?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:00 PM

Glendora Mountain Road. It's close by Azuza OHV
Old 09-29-2004, 09:22 PM

Not to hijack, this is kind of related,and maybe it will give you another place to check out.But does anyone have any experience with the OHV park that is off of the 215 fwy,just south of the exit to go to Mt.High/Wrightwood(hwy 138,i think)near Silverwood lake? Sorry I cant be more specific, I just pass it alot on my way to the mtn. I saw a couple of guys with some pretty well built trucks headed off on that exit. It must have some good ish to keep those guys entertained. There is also a small 4wd testing/play area about 2mi before mt.high with alot of steep climbs and off camber mogul sections.There are some trails that lead off deeper into the woods,but we didnt go back very far to explore.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:41 PM

ive been on the rincon-shortcut once and it wasn't too exciting. a friend and i went up half way and came back down. its probably a better atv/bike trail. as for the ohv, it looks like a fun place after some rain. lots of mud, small hills, and places to get stuck .
Old 09-29-2004, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by RobT2k
Not to hijack, this is kind of related,and maybe it will give you another place to check out.But does anyone have any experience with the OHV park that is off of the 215 fwy,just south of the exit to go to Mt.High/Wrightwood(hwy 138,i think)near Silverwood lake? Sorry I cant be more specific, I just pass it alot on my way to the mtn. I saw a couple of guys with some pretty well built trucks headed off on that exit. It must have some good ish to keep those guys entertained. There is also a small 4wd testing/play area about 2mi before mt.high with alot of steep climbs and off camber mogul sections.There are some trails that lead off deeper into the woods,but we didnt go back very far to explore.
I'm not sure but it seems that silverwood is for mostly ATVs and dirt bikes. I think silverwood lake might still be closed due to the fire last year.

Do you know the exit for the 4wd testing/play area? I'd be interested to go and check it out.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by chiefiji
and places to get stuck .
famous last words!

naw, but it is a fun little spot to test out your stuff. After rain would be fun tho- cleaning would not!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
famous last words!

naw, but it is a fun little spot to test out your stuff. After rain would be fun tho- cleaning would not!
Yeah, don't want to play in the mud just for that reason.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:18 PM

You should go check it out timber, the mud is only in that one area near the water. It's probably pretty dry there now.

I'll go with you if it's closer to Nov and I have time. It's good for kicks.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:44 AM

Hey RobT2k,
There's a great *beginners trail* that starts on the back side of Silverwood.
Instead of going thru the front gate and taking fireroads take a left just before the small hill climb to the gate. There is a sign on the right hand side of the road just passed the spillway. Take the left fork and it should lead you to the start of the trail. It is maintained by a 4WD club, but I forget which one. The first obstacle is a pretty good climb and has a quick right hand turn at the top. Once you get passed that there are bypasses from the hard stuff. It truly is a great run. At the end of this trail there is a huge boulder lookout that over looks the whole valley. You have to make a left at the top.You can take it all the way up to Arrowhead and beyond if you want.
It is a good testing trail for trying out your equipment. You can get a map at any ranger station with the trails marked on them. Plus the trails are marked with signs so you don't get lost. You also need a Forestry service permit or you will get ticketed.
Very good day trip. Sorry for the long post, e-mail me if you want more detailed directions.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
famous last words!

haha, hence why i havent actually been there in my truck yet. my friend and i egg each other about going down there but since neither of us want to give the other the satisfaction of pulling the other out, we'll just have to wait. fools!
Old 09-30-2004, 06:37 PM

me and another tacoma bud are planning to hit azusa sunday afternoon...anyone's more than welcome to join us
Old 09-30-2004, 08:10 PM

I'm gonna be out of town this weekend. I am up to it next weekend.